IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Well I screwed up the VGA part and forgot to take pics but I have before and after. I'm shocked how sharp and colorful the screen is! I did a Game Gear screen swap and it just doesn't compare to McWills mod. attachicon.gif2015-03-04 04.51.53.jpgattachicon.gif2015-03-11 02.59.02.jpgattachicon.gif2015-03-11 03.06.43.jpg

CORRECTION: I did a Sega Nomad screen swap, not Game Gear.

I completed my Atari a lynx 2 super mod:

- new LCD screen (no VGA out don't need it)

- new buttons / flex cable

- 5V regulator mod (new switching type / no heat)

All works great! I was shocked by the video quality when first turned on! Pictures online don't do it justice.

Mine came in. I had checked DHL and USPS the day before and they both were showing the package still in Germany. Now I have to find someone to do the install. I have been turned down by the first two people I asked to do it.

After we get ours (hopefully soon), my old lady would probably do the mod for ya! She has the most steady hands I've ever seen, and can count cards without looking!!

Installation tips:

1) if you only care about lcd and don't plan on doing vga port, you can skip connecting the brightness button. Also, after removing the brightness knob, you can snip the 3 legs in the front, put electrical tape on 3 holes and solder brightness potentiometer back down. This way you won't have any open holes on your Lynx / look stock from outside.

2) assuming you have proper desoldering station, it is easier to just remove the old lcd connector than solder to it. The added advantage is it makes the install much easier/clean as lcd wires and lcd screen would be facing one another once assembled. You will not have to figure out how to route wires without interfering.

3) use color ribbon wire. I soldered the lcd front first and then installed it. This minimizes the time the lcd is exposed to air and potential of getting dust. Take picture of front so you can use it as color map for final install.

4) enjoy. This is a fun simple project with great reward at the end!

• Like 2

@McWill: Any chance of selling the kit without the LCD screen? After poking around my Lynx a little bit I'm seriously considering getting another kit and dedicating it to a mini-arcade cabinet.

@McWill: Any chance of selling the kit without the LCD screen? After poking around my Lynx a little bit I'm seriously considering getting another kit and dedicating it to a mini-arcade cabinet.

?!?! you want just the LCD driver PCB without the actual LCD + ribbon cable? Isn't the PCB configured to run with that particular LCD display? What else can you hook it up to?

On that note, McWill, I noticed the inputs (D0, D1, ...) seem to all be digital inputs. Is this device specifically made for the Lynx resolution, or can it be adapted to other devices assuming we know their pinout (e.g. NOMAD, Game Gear, etc). I understand the PCB has specific holes cut for the Lynx, but assume we can figure out a way to "make it fit". Just a general question.

On that note, McWill, I noticed the inputs (D0, D1, ...) seem to all be digital inputs. Is this device specifically made for the Lynx resolution, or can it be adapted to other devices assuming we know their pinout (e.g. NOMAD, Game Gear, etc). I understand the PCB has specific holes cut for the Lynx, but assume we can figure out a way to "make it fit". Just a general question.

These boards are only for the ATARI LYNX, because of the special internal hardware. The Game Gear has almost the same data lines, but it has different internal hardware. So the boards won't run with a Game Gear / NOMAD without changes. I will make tests with the NOMAD in the future ;) .

BTW: I already have a running Game Gear system with my new LCD mod. GG and SMS games in fullscreen !!! But I have to make a few changes on the board. Then these boards also will be available in a few weeks :-D.

But at present I'm still making tests with the LYNX-I. That is my priority to get the existing boards running with the LYNX-I.

I will keep you all up to date!

• Like 8

This has VGA out, so presumably, that's what interests him for his project.

No point having a brand new LCD screen that you're not going to use.

Exactly. I'm imagining a bare Lynx II board inside a mini-arcade cabinet with arcade controls. I've already breadboarded a multiplexer that lets you switch the joystick between horizontal and vertical games. I've mapped the input controls on the Lynx board (On, off, pause, B, A, Option 1, Option 2, etc.). With a rotating monitor, small speakers, arcade controls, and some tactile buttons for On/off/pause, a fun little Lynx "luggable" can be had.

post-3314-0-33347600-1426424651_thumb.jpg

I'm still waiting on my LCD kit so I'm taking this time to poke around the Lynx a little bit (and probably getting ahead of myself!).

By the way, many of us heard about the high voltage pin that powers the Lynx backlight. For those that don't know which pin it is, I've attached a pic. It will literally burn your skin. Do not touch it while your Lynx is powered up.

post-3314-0-48152500-1426424650_thumb.jpg

I installed my board yesterday, and though I thought I followed the instructions carefully, I only get a screen full of multicolored pixels when I power on. Sigh. Guess I need to pull it apart again to see what I did wrong.

I will say that those multicolored pixels were very bright and clear, though. ;)