IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

These boards are only for the ATARI LYNX, because of the special internal hardware. The Game Gear has almost the same data lines, but it has different internal hardware. So the boards won't run with a Game Gear / NOMAD without changes. I will make tests with the NOMAD in the future ;) .

BTW: I already have a running Game Gear system with my new LCD mod. GG and SMS games in fullscreen !!! But I have to make a few changes on the board. Then these boards also will be available in a few weeks :-D.

But at present I'm still making tests with the LYNX-I. That is my priority to get the existing boards running with the LYNX-I.

I will keep you all up to date!

That is crazy awesome! I must have a Game Gear with your mod! Be sure to update here when you finish making changes to the board!

This is what I need to re-awaken my Lynx love and I've been hoping for this for a good number of years now.....

>>> AWESOME !!!!! <<<

Love the Lynx. Never got it when it was new, but picked one up for cheap at one of the later German Atari Messe's when they were being dumped (together with loads and loads of games). I've had Lynxes ever since.

The I is my favorite, I liked the better sound and for me being a rather tall guy it's nicer in the hands plus I like the buttons and cross control,better.

However, the last years my interest for the system waned mostly because of the screen. BITD we never knew better and things were acceptable, but as I grew older which doesn't generally help on eye-sight AND of course the fact that we got used to better and better LCDs....it made the system kinda unplayable for me.

I hope you will finish the version for the Lynx I soon, my money is burning in my pocket ;);)

What I notice on this video (at least to my eye) is apart from the obvious better brightness and colors, the screen is also a LOT faster. Of course game speed remains the same but the changes on the screen are much faster. Maybe thas also makes the games easier to play Nathan Sttrum...

What I notice on this video (at least to my eye) is apart from the obvious better brightness and colors, the screen is also a LOT faster. Of course game speed remains the same but the changes on the screen are much faster. Maybe thas also makes the games easier to play Nathan Sttrum...

That's entirely possible. I don't have an unmodded Lynx to check it against, but that would be an interesting comparison to make head-to-head (that, and battery life).

A fixed iron 20-30w should be OK for soldering but you may have a bit of trouble desoldering and removing unwanted part with lower heat iron, especially that transformer.

So it comes down to how badly you want to start playing with the new LCD. Do you want to risk a $100+ hardware to older iron or spend a few days for a new soldering iron?

A fixed iron 20-30w should be OK for soldering but you may have a bit of trouble desoldering and removing unwanted part with lower heat iron, especially that transformer.

So it comes down to how badly you want to start playing with the new LCD. Do you want to risk a $100+ hardware to older iron or spend a few days for a new soldering iron?

Yep. I've started on the ribbon cable connector and smaller components but I'll wait for my soldering station for that transformer. Thanks for the nudge.

For anybody still waiting on their kit, don't trust that tracking number. My domestic tracking number still says mine is in New York...a week ago. :lol:

I got mine the other day. My soldering equipment wasn't the right for the job and I missed that part on the forums here that you don't need to connect pins 7 & 8 to the mod board. Overall, I got it working! Thanks McWill, it is an awesome mod:

https://arcryphongames.wordpress.com/2015/03/17/atari-lynx-ii-lcd-mod-arrives/

I also shared it on the Atari Museum FB group where it has caught a bit of attention:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/105586892805903/permalink/909046575793260/

A data point for anyone curious about battery life with the new screen - in a simple test leaving the Lynx to run Lynxopoly (8 players) continuously, a fresh set of Duracells powered the Lynx for 4h 40min

4h 40min with the new screen? Wonder how long the batteries would last under the same test with the old screen? I don't have Lynxopoly so can't recreate this test.

It is noticeably less laggy on the screen due to superior refresh rate compared to LCD of 25 years ago.

But don't trust the video. Even though I have 2 BL Demo carts and turned both on at the same time, I noticed after several minutes one was running demo a few seconds ahead than other, even though both still appeared to be running at the same rate. I don't know if there's timing variations during the manufacture or if there's a few software code variations with different wait time on repeating loops.

I fitted the screen a couple of weeks ago (it looks amazing and has transformed my Lynx gaming) but only got round to fitting the VGA socket tonight.

I used a craft knife to gradually scrape off plastic and make the indent bigger, mainly on the top half of the Lynx and also a little bit on the bottom. I left a small gap around the edge of the socket to ensure the edges of the plug had enough room to wrap around it when plugged in.

A glue gun was used to fix the socket in place and when I reassembled it saw that, through luck, the edge of the main Lynx PCB was helping secure it too.

I need to clean it up a bit - there's a few bits of stray glue, but the attached photo shows it installed.

Also - thanks to the user Insert Coin on here who also very kindly supplied me with a replacement plastic screen, after I dropped a blob of hot solder on the old one.

post-39857-0-66205300-1426753792_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

We finally got to it!

With six kids to deal with I should be happy it gone done at all!!

This old Lynx screen is what this mod was made for!!

DSCF4605.jpg

As you can see, there are lines, ghosting, fading, and missing pixels..

DSCF4607.jpg

At this angle one can clearly see a wad of mixing pixels in the top left portion of the screen. BLEH!!

DSCF4610.jpg

So I asked my wife (Super Kitty) to help with this!

DSCF4611.jpg

DSCF4617.jpg

DSCF4618.jpg

ALL DONE!!

DSCF4619.jpg

DSCF4627.jpg

DSCF4629.jpg

DSCF4630.jpg

Here is the VGA out and some LCD/VGA comparisons..

DSCF4633.jpg

LCD

DSCF4647.jpg

VGA

DSCF4639.jpg

LCD

DSCF4649.jpg

VGA

DSCF4641.jpg

LCD

DSCF4655.jpg

VGA

DSCF4653.jpg

LCD close ups..

DSCF4646.jpg

It's hard to take pictures of the first screen..

DSCF4644.jpg

..without getting critter butt-ridden and groped.

DSCF4645.jpg

DSCF4651.jpg

DSCF4632.jpg

This is the BEST THING you can do to the Lynx!!

Are you a Mod or a Rocker?

Edited by Papa
  • Like 4

I don't have one of these yet, but I had been working on something similar off and on for ages-- so just a couple datapoints from my tests back in 2011, but the data should still be pretty consistent:

With a ~6.1V input from batteries and the Lynx 2 power rail outputting about 4.8V to the system, playing Xenophobe at full volume:

(Original hardware)

No Backlight = 185mA = 1.13W

Backlight ON = 385mA = 2.35W

So a little over half the Lynx 2's power budget went straight to the LCD (negligible) and backlight.

At that same 4.8V, of the 1.13W operating power 49% of that is accounted for in five components:

C302284-001 = 0.065W

C301719-001 = 0.264W

DRAM (combined) = 0.232W

Cart = 0.0016W (average)

A modern 3.5" TFT LCD with LED backlight should be around ~425mW give or take and I'd assume that even with regulation losses and the CPLD+SRAMs in the adapter that wouldn't add up to much more than another 100mW? The display swap will likely save half a watt or so-- pretty close to 30% of the battery life.

-Clay

• Like 2

I finished my screen mod last night. There are simply not enough letters in "Wow!". My Lynx now feels like a new system. The colors are rich, the ghosting is gone, and the viewing angle is superb. And the one thing I can really rejoice in, as a longtime Lynx owner: the backlight is evenly distributed! I played Steel Talons last night and for the first time my eyes didn't strain at the low contrast colors. It was blissful.

If you are on the fence about getting this, let this be an endorsement to get it. This is the screen the Lynx deserves. A big "Thank you!" to McWill for producing this mod and getting it distributed. It's a professional piece of kit that I think every in-service Lynx should have.

post-3314-0-93489700-1426941205_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-01195500-1426941207_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-85074200-1426941207_thumb.jpgpost-3314-0-74119600-1426942237_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Got mine done today & no matter how many times I've read about the difference, or seen the pictures, actually seeing it for yourself -OMG absolutely bloody awesome. Can't wait for this to work with the Lynx 1. This is how EVERY Lynx should be! Make it happen people ;)

• Like 1

Got mine done today & no matter how many times I've read about the difference, or seen the pictures, actually seeing it for yourself -OMG absolutely bloody awesome. Can't wait for this to work with the Lynx 1. This is how EVERY Lynx should be! Make it happen people ;)

Now it works also with the LYNX-I !!! The boards are the same, but the firmware of the CPLD isn't the same!

So if you want to order, I have to know your version of LYNX: LYNX-I or LYNX-II

At present I am making the quick guide for the LYNX-I mod. Then this mod also will be available begin of April.

• Like 9

Now it works also with the LYNX-I !!! The boards are the same, but the firmware of the CPLD isn't the same!

So if you want to order, I have to know your version of LYNX: LYNX-I or LYNX-II

At present I am making the quick guide for the LYNX-I mod. Then this mod also will be available begin of April.

Woohoo! I think I'm going to have to mod my Lynx-I if I ever intend to have anyone play multiplayer again after they've seen the new LCD... :D