IGNORED

Tron Light Cycles for Colecovision - Work in progress

parkfun101

Wow I love how the game looks and yes Im a huge Tron fan so much that I drew this pic of two light cycles using only inkscape vector art program. If you need help on labels let me now^_^;

If it cannot be used for the box art, this image could at least be used in the game's manual. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some level designs I've come up with (I've got about 50 more). Some of these are for the Bonus levels and show how I will use some of the objects to help you collect disks on bonus levels or to allow you to access to certain parts of the stage. These may or may not make it to the game depending on how much fun they are. Also, the colors may be different for Bonus levels (green walls).

This is an advanced level that will probably be much later in the game.

E 07 L

Power Boost is the only way to access and exit the center of this level.

D 35 L

Grid Bugs act like doors. You have to wait for them to move before entering/exiting.

C BONUS 14 L

The line destroyers are your friend here ;-) You need them, otherwise, you'll run into your own line.

Bonus 12 36 L

Teleport walls have to be used to access the 4 regions of the stage.

D BONUS 15 L

I'm also working on some where you have to use the Side Blaster to create tunnels to get to where you need to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unless I'm hit by a bus, this game will be out for Colecovision!......now I have to watch out for buses |:) .

Here are some more levels. Some are already in the game (21 areas at this point), but may be modified if needed. From a programming standpoint, the cool part about these levels is that none of them take more than 100 bytes and none are more than 4 lines of code to create (including my code to mirror the graphics). Some only take 1 or 2 lines of code to create.
I'm not saying all the levels will be 100 bytes or less, some require 10 lines of code or more depending on the complexity, but saving storage on some stages allows for more advanced levels on other stages.

21 L

63b

• Like 6

Put a bus in the game as a light cycle option but it can break through the other guys lines.
Game looks great by the way.

Unless I'm hit by a bus, this game will be out for Colecovision!......now I have to watch out for buses | :) .

Here are some more levels. Some are already in the game (21 areas at this point), but may be modified if needed. From a programming standpoint, the cool part about these levels is that none of them take more than 100 bytes and none are more than 4 lines of code to create (including my code to mirror the graphics). Some only take 1 or 2 lines of code to create. I'm not saying all the levels will be 100 bytes or less, some require 10 lines of code or more depending on the complexity, but saving storage on some stages allows for more advanced levels on other stages.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks stupus! I've been super busy for work lately, so I haven't gotten to put as many hours into the game lately, but I'd say it is about 90% complete. Check out the stage Tarzilla and I have put together as the final stage:

You have to collect all the disks on the top half of the screen in order to be able to access the bottom half.

Last Level

The MCP flashes shades of red and grey to add to the cool effect.

Tarzilla did most of the face and I went back and tweaked it a bit and added the angle pieces near the bottom. Also, I decided to use the weapons that are already in the game to help you destroy the MCP. This screen here may look slightly different when the game is released because I will try to squeeze every last byte I can into the game before I release it. Also, at this point, I think the game will have anywhere from 45 - 50 levels. Currently, I have 35 levels plus the last level you see here.

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update:

The game is in the final testing stages :) and will have 45 levels plus the Recognizer level if you escape through the wall. This week I fixed the final bugs that I was hoping to take care :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: of and I've played the game all the way through on 1P VS CPU and COOP modes. The final stage now requires you to collect all the disks on your side in order to open the doors to be able to destroy the MCP. I may add a better door graphic just so it stands out better.

The game has several codes (for ENHANCED MODE only):

TEST MODE

Press [0] at the Title screen to start the game in TEST MODE. This skips the ending music and pauses which allows you to play through the game faster (I used this for testing).

STAGE SELECT MODE

Press [8] at the Title screen and then move down to 1P VS 2P, select a stage, then move either to 1P VS CPU or COOP mode and start the game and you will go to whatever stage you selected.

TELEPORT WALL MODE

Press [9] at the Title screen and now all stages will have teleport walls as the outer walls. This adds extra challenges to the entire game.

I'm on schedule to be finished testing by the end of this month. :D

• Like 3

Unless I'm hit by a bus, this game will be out for Colecovision!......now I have to watch out for buses | :) .

Here are some more levels. Some are already in the game (21 areas at this point), but may be modified if needed. From a programming standpoint, the cool part about these levels is that none of them take more than 100 bytes and none are more than 4 lines of code to create (including my code to mirror the graphics). Some only take 1 or 2 lines of code to create. I'm not saying all the levels will be 100 bytes or less, some require 10 lines of code or more depending on the complexity, but saving storage on some stages allows for more advanced levels on other stages.

Okay, now you've got my attention.

I'm a pretty hard-core TRON player and I was waiting to see what you'd do to expand on the arcade version.

Nicely done (although I think levels like these will require quite a bit of play-testing).

Don't worry Nebulon, I've tested and tested and had Tarzilla and his friend and my friend Aaron test, etc. I also program for a living so I'm used to testing stuff over and over and over and over.......etc.

Also, here are the weapons, obstacles, and special codes I've added to the game:

Weapons:

obstacles And weapons

Codes (used at the Title Screen) The first 4 are color selection for 1 and 2 player.

Bike Color Selection

• Like 2

Interesting... Will there be a controller overlay included in the box?

This game seems like it's been in development for ages... Release this thing already!! :P

I wonder if Eduardo Mello will purchase a copy, he's the biggest Tron fan this side of cyberspace... :)

Interesting... Will there be a controller overlay included in the box?This game seems like it's been in development for ages... Release this thing already!! :PI wonder if Eduardo Mello will purchase a copy, he's the biggest Tron fan this side of cyberspace... :)

The keypad is only used during the main menu to activate picking the colour of your bike, activate Test mode to skip the music at the end of each level and a few other cheats. It would be nice to have to overlay show the cheat keys like the last image above.

I'm glad it has been in development so long, all the new features added in the last couple months have taken a good game and boosted it into probably the most fun light cycle style game released since the original arcade. I think it is one of the best two player games on any of the classic systems. My friend and I have tested this game on two player for hours, totally losing track of time, even forgetting to drink our beers...

Unless I missed it , would you be able to post a gameplay video with sound ?

I've actually already begun recording almost every level on the 1P VS CPU ENHANCED mode. It was all recorded on the Blue MSX emulator, but it should give you a feel of how the game plays. I'm planning on editing the videos within the next week or two so I should have some to put on YouTube so I can link them here.

Thank you Tarzilla....I had no clue you guys forgot to drink because you were too busy having fun playing my game. Maybe I should sell the game to Alcoholics Anonymous?....just kidding.

Oh yeah, when I was playing today with my friends on COOP mode, it was cool because I was about to be trapped in my own maze and my friend hit a Line Destroyer to destroy my line so it would free me....it was just so cool. It is something I didn't even think of when I designed the game, but is was awesome team work!

• Like 1

I've actually already begun recording almost every level on the 1P VS CPU ENHANCED mode. It was all recorded on the Blue MSX emulator, but it should give you a feel of how the game plays. I'm planning on editing the videos within the next week or two so I should have some to put on YouTube so I can link them here.

Thank you Tarzilla....I had no clue you guys forgot to drink because you were too busy having fun playing my game. Maybe I should sell the game to Alcoholics Anonymous?....just kidding.

Oh yeah, when I was playing today with my friends on COOP mode, it was cool because I was about to be trapped in my own maze and my friend hit a Line Destroyer to destroy my line so it would free me....it was just so cool. It is something I didn't even think of when I designed the game, but is was awesome team work!

We didn't completely forget to drink the beers ;)

Another thing you can't program for is having a friend that forgets the definition of CO-OP and who intentionally slows down and kills you with the line destroyer...

• Like 1