IGNORED

Off-Topic / Dumping Thread

Omega-TI

Really dig your page, bud. Clean, simple, elegant.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Thank you buddy! I'm glad you checked it out... it took a few hours to put together since I had to do all the cover pictures from scratch. But, it's good to revive some sort of a book site like Ernie's even if it isn't quite as comprehensive or well organized. :D

For sure. I'm about to have a page again... Hope to do better this time around about keeping it updated and "Clean"...

My favorite TI website is mainbyte, and primarily because of it's insane "cleanliness"... I guess there is probably a better word for it, but "uncluttered" is about the best I can do. Mad respect for those who have been able to maintain and update their respective TI pages over the years. Sadly, mine is now an out of service Peepee-Zeppelin-peddling page.

For sure. I'm about to have a page again... Hope to do better this time around about keeping it updated and "Clean"...

My favorite TI website is mainbyte, and primarily because of it's insane "cleanliness"... I guess there is probably a better word for it, but "uncluttered" is about the best I can do. Mad respect for those who have been able to maintain and update their respective TI pages over the years. Sadly, mine is now an out of service Peepee-Zeppelin-peddling page.

Hahaha - I read about that! :P

You can always do what I did and set yourself up something at home - Apache is available on all platforms ;)

Ernie's page is still available on the Hexbus site, so it isn't gone--but what you're doing with your page is a good thing. I'll have to take my original copies of those Scott Foresman Management module manuals and scan them in in high-res color at some point. It is nice to see anyone paying attention to them, as those are probably some of the rarest TI modules in existence! :)

I like the site too, Robert! Many thanks!

• Like 1

That's good to know about Ernie's site - I thought it was gone for good. Somehow I've missed linking the hexbus site on my page, so I'll be adding a link to that soon. I also have more books, such as the SF books, in other directories (links near the bottom of my book page). I plan to do nice pages like the main book page for those other directories - just one at a time, as those cover shots are tedious to make ;).

I'm totally amazed, with all the thousands of cheap pre-made cables made in China, not one, with a 4pin Molex on one end and a USB on the other, either male or female? I mean it seems like an obvious place to get 5V.

You've got everything in those pics to make what you need except the wire cutter/stripper, soldering iron, solder, & electrical tape. :)

Gazoo

• Like 1

Actually just the opposite! :lol:

Those images are ripped off the Internet, I'll probably buy parts sometime next month. I'm waiting for an item to arrive first so I can make sure it works as advertised first. Sometime is pays to drag out projects between dry spells, just to keep interest up.

post-35324-0-49126000-1427756304_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, it'll be poorly made, relatively inaccurate, and potentially unsafe at high voltages, but for really basic stuff like checking if voltage is present and whether it's +5v or +12v, it'll probably work. I wouldn't use it to test 110v - but I've used a lot of cheap meters. :)

That said, you should be able to find a cheap meter locally for $10-$15 anyway.. don't you have a slightly less-than-reputable hardware store? ;)

Okay, I see what looks to be a RJ45 on one end... but the other end looks like some weird European-type power connector. What's it supposed to do? Fry electronics? Like some sort of super advanced warranty-voiding device?

...this - if exists - would be a PC- and Switch-Killer, fake found on the internet :) yes to Euro-Plug

That said, you should be able to find a cheap meter locally for $10-$15 anyway.. don't you have a slightly less-than-reputable hardware store? ;)

Yeah, it sounded too cheap to trust. I have my eye on a Fluke as they have come down quite a bit in price over the last 20 years for a decent model. Less than reputable? You mean like Harbor Freight?

What do you think of the F18B model shown below?

$_57.JPG

I've always wanted a decent meter, but if you know of a better one with more features...

I don't know anything about decent meters. ;) Like I said, I've used lots of cheap meters!

My point was just that you can go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap meter that will cost roughly the same in the end without waiting for shipping from China. ;)

My point was just that you can go to your local hardware store and buy a cheap meter that will cost roughly the same in the end without waiting for shipping from China. ;)

You are probably right of course. I've wanted, but never had, a decent meter since High School. I've been using the same P.O.S. pictured below for at least 20 years, but it simply refuses to die and give me a good excuse to go get another one.

post-35324-0-81699200-1427845091_thumb.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-digital-multimeter-98674.html

I've had one of these for about 5 years, solid as a rock, and as tough as one. I've dropped it from height numerous times and thought it was done, but it's like the EverReady Bunny, just keeps goin 'n goin. Has a nice audible setting for ohms, when you can't look away from what you're doing.

I got it for $40, not the $60 listed. But it's easily worth $60.

Now if I could find leads that hold up as well as the meter, I'd be in good shape. On my 4th pair with this meter. :(

Gazoo

• Like 1

I'll go into Harbor Freight before work tomorrow and see if they have these in stock and give them a once over. Thanks for the suggestion. This DMM 1/2 the price of what I was contemplating.

Gazoo, if you don't mind 'the feel' of silicone leads, some people don't, or the slightly higher cost, these might leads might interest you.

<< CLICK HERE >>

I'll go into Harbor Freight before work tomorrow and see if they have these in stock and give them a once over. Thanks for the suggestion. This DMM 1/2 the price of what I was contemplating.

Gazoo, if you don't mind 'the feel' of silicone leads, some people don't, or the slightly higher cost, these might leads might interest you.

<< CLICK HERE >>

Those leads look like all the other crappy-fall-apart leads I've ever had.

I'm thinking I could make my own tougher leads with a couple of heavy-duty banana plugs, some #14 stranded wire (red and black), a couple of nails, and some electrical tape. Solder the wire leads to the nails and wrap them with the electrical tape except for the tips, connect the other ends to the banana plugs, and you've got yourself a good pair of heavy duty leads. They might actually last more than a few months.

Gazoo