IGNORED

Full Color ANSI VBXE terminal in the works

Joey Z

FJC tried to run the terminal, and was having issues. Unfortunately, given the time zone difference, he had to log off before we could pinpoint the cause of the issue. However, I think I was able to find it some time afterward. I realized that it wasn't working with the 1200XL OS. Turns out, I had a few places where I had lda 1 instead of lda #1 (I'm really getting sick of these errors :()

Anyway, here's the latest version again.

EDIT: turns out this doesn't work in SDX because the VBXE memory window overlays the banking RAM window. Should be a relatively simple fix, I just need to turn that off after the init routine, then turn it back on in the main program segment.

VBXETERM.atr

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 1

v0.01.2015.04.07
new features:
- added version number into main source file as data coded for human readablity
in compiled form.

bugfixes:
- VBXE memory window no longer conflicts with extended memory. It hase been
moved to $A000-AFFF. This overlaps the cartridge area, but cartridges have
priority over the VBXE memory area, so it works as long as you run with X.

known bugs:
- none yet ;)

todo:
- add more ANSI control sequence support

also added a license.txt, which isn't done yet. I haven't had time. So, for this version, the license.txt can be ignored. Instead, follow my definition of "don't be a dick" and you should be fine. If you have to ask, safest bet is to not do it. When I do complete the license, it will apply to the first version it appears in as well as all previous versions, so keep that in mind.

version-0-01-2015-04-07.zip

Edited by Joey Z
  • Like 3

• 9 months later...

Interesting question: Could one potentially do PETASCII on the VBXE? That is, all 16 commodore colors, with a 40-column 256 character set? One of the things I always wanted when I was in my teenage years BBSing on my Atari, was to be able to call the local Commodore BBS in full color. :)

Yes, VBXE will allow that.

Interesting question: Could one potentially do PETASCII on the VBXE? That is, all 16 commodore colors, with a 40-column 256 character set? One of the things I always wanted when I was in my teenage years BBSing on my Atari, was to be able to call the local Commodore BBS in full color. :)

VBXE does not have a 40 column mode unfortunately, so it may be harder than it seems.

You can emulate a 40 column display with the blitter -- it copies at 7MB/sec. Use a series of strided blits to copy from character/attribute arrays into another set of blits with one blit per character. Should take only one short routine to restart the entire blit list each frame.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

v0.01.2015.04.07

new features:

- added version number into main source file as data coded for human readablity

in compiled form.

bugfixes:

- VBXE memory window no longer conflicts with extended memory. It hase been

moved to $A000-AFFF. This overlaps the cartridge area, but cartridges have

priority over the VBXE memory area, so it works as long as you run with X.

known bugs:

- none yet ;)

todo:

- add more ANSI control sequence support

also added a license.txt, which isn't done yet. I haven't had time. So, for this version, the license.txt can be ignored. Instead, follow my definition of "don't be a dick" and you should be fine. If you have to ask, safest bet is to not do it. When I do complete the license, it will apply to the first version it appears in as well as all previous versions, so keep that in mind.

is this just a text terminal right now? No menu to access to configure yet? no file xfers ?

It looks pretty good so far.

is this just a text terminal right now? No menu to access to configure yet? no file xfers ?

It looks pretty good so far.

Yes, it's nowhere near complete. No configuration at all, more or less full ASCII support, miniscule set of ANSI support. UI is limited to you pressing a key, it sends it, it receives something, it displays it.

thanks for the info. I just started learning Atari and was looking for something like this. I am currently running it via a emulated 130XE via Altirra.

It works pretty good so far. I have found it does not display my ANSI screens completely correct, but it's a very good start. I will be following this topic.

Thanks for the info. and keep up the good work!

40 cols could be done multiple ways. Another is to use 2 characters side by side, 0-127 represent left half, 128-255 for the right.

Another way could be to overlay VBXE Ram to where the OS text screen is mapped. That allows leaving standard E: and S: devices as they are. Blits could be used to translate the stock screen into something VBXE can display.

It could be done every frame though for translating to a VBXE bitmap would probably have to be spread over multiple frames.

Character set mapping for doing bitmap would probably have to be done like the 7800 does it. Have each scanline of a character 256 bytes further in memory than the previous.

Depends how you want to do it. With Quadrillion which I had source and ported over from Plus/4 the original plan was to rewrite the rendering such that it correlated directly to the Atari way.

That was going all well and good until some nasty bug crept in and I was left with a steaming mess, turned out quicker to just start again. Which was a pity as doing it the Atari way would have meant I could have done an easy legacy hw only port as well.

The end result was that I left the rendering mostly alone and just used blits to remap the C= bitmap to Atari type. It's only moving 8,000 bytes or so per frame which in VBXE terms is barely above idling.

But yeah, doing a 40x24 remap to 80x24 would allow improved resolution and cheaply in terms of both blit time and VRam usage. In fact could even use real interlace to give 16x16 characters in the same physical space as 8x8 ones.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 3