IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

Hi Gazoo,

I tried to install the No Menu update because I don't want to lose the TI color bar screen, but after installing the update I could not get into XB - it just showed a blue screen. I had to browse to the Menu using Module Library and activate it from there before it worked. After using it once it worked directly from the menu, as far as I remember.

BTW, I noticed that Sound FX is no longer available on the update, what did you replace it with? It's a program that I actually don't have a disk copy of.

Thanks,

Rasmus

Hi Gazoo,

I tried to install the No Menu update because I don't want to lose the TI color bar screen, but after installing the update I could not get into XB - it just showed a blue screen. I had to browse to the Menu using Module Library and activate it from there before it worked. After using it once it worked directly from the menu, as far as I remember.

BTW, I noticed that Sound FX is no longer available on the update, what did you replace it with? It's a program that I actually don't have a disk copy of.

Thanks,

Rasmus

Sound FX was only in the early beta code versions that weren't actually manufactured. If you burnt a Rom chip from that test code and manufactured your own cartridge, the new Grom code won't work properly, in addition to many of the games. Burn a new Rom chip to go along with the new Grom code. Sound FX was replaced in the manufactured cartridges with the Decimal to Hex to Binary Converter, which is an XB program. I always wanted that tool available, but could only find an XB version that performed those functions. Senior Falcon was most helpful in assisting to get an XB program stored in Rom to run without being loaded from disk.

Disk with SOUNDFX program is attached.

soundfx.dsk

Gazoo

Sound FX was only in the early beta code versions that weren't actually manufactured. If you burnt a Rom chip from that test code and manufactured your own cartridge, the new Grom code won't work properly, in addition to many of the games. Burn a new Rom chip to go along with the new Grom code. Sound FX was replaced in the manufactured cartridges with the Decimal to Hex to Binary Converter, which is an XB program. I always wanted that tool available, but could only find an XB version that performed those functions. Senior Falcon was most helpful in assisting to get an XB program stored in Rom to run without being loaded from disk.

Disk with SOUNDFX program is attached.

attachicon.gifsoundfx.dsk

Gazoo

Thanks for the disk.

It's really confusing, because I removed the ROM chip last night to upgrade it, but I did a compare with my programmer and the content was identical to what you posted in #248. I upgraded it anyway to be on the safe side.

So the first mystery is how I could have been running Sound FX if it's not on this ROM?

I then reinstalled the No Menu update, but I still can't get into Extended BASIC 2.7 from the 'Review Module Library' menu - it just freezes with a blue screen. I have to get to it from your menu.

I also noticed that the Decimal to Hex program is not working for me. I can open it but pressing the menu option numbers doesn't do anything.

Has anyone else tried this update?

Thanks,

Rasmus

Just out of curiosity, can you get to the program from XB2.7 by doing a: CALL DEC2HX

Just a little aside here for a second, a hint for those who've not tried it this...

One of the really cool things about this cartridge is how it'll interact with BOOT. For instance there is no need to drop out of boot or even XB2.7 to load DM2K for instance.

A) While in XB2.7 just type CALL DM2K

B) In BOOT make an entry like: X DSK1.DM2K

Then put a little program on the disk like:

1 RUN "DM2K"

BOOT will run that small program and link to DM2K and load it faster than it would ever have loaded from disk, and the space used on disk is minuscule.

Thanks for the disk.

It's really confusing, because I removed the ROM chip last night to upgrade it, but I did a compare with my programmer and the content was identical to what you posted in #248. I upgraded it anyway to be on the safe side.

So the first mystery is how I could have been running Sound FX if it's not on this ROM?

I then reinstalled the No Menu update, but I still can't get into Extended BASIC 2.7 from the 'Review Module Library' menu - it just freezes with a blue screen. I have to get to it from your menu.

I also noticed that the Decimal to Hex program is not working for me. I can open it but pressing the menu option numbers doesn't do anything.

Has anyone else tried this update?

Thanks,

Rasmus

Answers, one at a time.

"So the first mystery is how I could have been running Sound FX if it's not on this ROM?"

The answer is that the only way you could have been running Sound FX is if you made a cartridge from one of the pre-release beta sets of ubergrom programming files that I posted here. If the games menu had only 6 games instead of 16, then that was the case. The final manufactured cartridges all had 16 games on them.

"I then reinstalled the No Menu update, but I still can't get into Extended BASIC 2.7 from the 'Review Module Library' menu - it just freezes with a blue screen. I have to get to it from your menu."

My fault, I have so many versions of these files on my hard drive that I can't keep track of them. An earlier version of the "No Menu" configuration somehow creeped in to the zip file I posted. My apologies, I've posted another update attached to this message to correct the problem both on the disk image and the 128k Flash BIN file.

"I also noticed that the Decimal to Hex program is not working for me. I can open it but pressing the menu option numbers doesn't do anything."

I can't duplicate this behavior, even with the bad dump. Since this is an XB program loaded from ROM, it takes about 2 seconds until the program gets to the keyscan. Have you tried waiting a few seconds before pressing a key?

Here's the new zip of the package, sorry if anyone has had any problems with the previous versions. :(

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite complete package.zip

Gazoo

Just wanted to say thank you for the cart. I got it super fast. There are to a of cool things that are all foreign to me....

I did have a question though: I notice legends runs considerably slower in 2.7 than with either my white or black XB carts. Is 2.7 designed to throttle down the TI or maybe I am the first person to notice this? What made me realize this was the spell casting effect for firestorm is normally a quick series of "explosions", but when running the game from 2.7 it is noticeably slower. After I caught this I saw the whole game must be running slower. Thanks.

Just wanted to say thank you for the cart. I got it super fast. There are to a of cool things that are all foreign to me....

I did have a question though: I notice legends runs considerably slower in 2.7 than with either my white or black XB carts. Is 2.7 designed to throttle down the TI or maybe I am the first person to notice this? What made me realize this was the spell casting effect for firestorm is normally a quick series of "explosions", but when running the game from 2.7 it is noticeably slower. After I caught this I saw the whole game must be running slower. Thanks.

No changes made to slow anything down, and nobody else mentioned anything like that before.

Whats "legends" ?

Gazoo

No changes made to slow anything down, and nobody else mentioned anything like that before.

Whats "legends" ?

Gazoo

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173213-legends-i-tips/

Here is a link, there are some pictures and stuff in the thread. The manual and game is available on TI gameshelf.

Yea if you have seen the battle sequence, it makes it very noticeable if is isn't timed right. I did try using a regular XB cart and XB 2.7 several different times to make sure I wasn't going crazy or drunk or something :) Same effect. I could take a video comparison with my phone if you want? Not sure if really matters :)

Im just curious to see it! I know those animation sequences well, and I would be interested in seeing the side-by-side. :)

Here we go. This is on the real deal hardware too. Everything is from back in the day, pebox, ti 32k card, ti computer..... only the TV is modern.

I won't say which is from which cartridge, that way you can judge if one is really slower than the other or perhaps I am wackadoo.

Also sorry for the video, did it on my phone....

IMG 1821

IMG 1823

• 2 weeks later...

1. Buy programmed 1284P and 29F040 chips with cart label from me for $17.

2. Buy an assembled Ubergrom board from Arcadeshopper or Ksarul.

3. Supply your own cartridge shell.

4. Put it all together and you've got an XB v2.7 Suite cart.

Please inform every human being on the planet of the process. (or just point them towards this message :) )

Or I can just keep posting this over and over and over again as I've figured out copy and paste so it's not too difficult. :twisted:

Gazoo

• Like 1

Ksarul and Arcadeshopper are the suppliers of the XB v2.7 Suite cart at this point. The stability issues have been worked out and I don't need to be the manufacturer any longer. :) The files are all public at this point, so you can also make your own if desired.

Gazoo

• Like 1

I can also supply complete cartridges with labels, as I still have a few chipsets from Tony (it is best to ask him first, however, as he usually sends me a chipset for someone and I assemble it into a complete cartridge and send it on to them).

I'm definitely interested in a complete cartridge if one's available. I sent you a separate PM - let me know you have one to to spare that I can purchase.

Thanks!

[DELETED attachment=389317:042615XB27.dsk]

UPDATE!

Here's an update with something that I've wanted to include for some time. From the main XB v2.7 Suite menu you can now press the number keys 1 through 9 to get a catalog of the associated disk. Pressing the spacebar will pause the catalog if the disk has a lot of files and they start to scroll off the screen. Press it again to continue. When the catalog is complete you will get a message at the bottom of the screen. Pressing a number 1 through 9 at that point will do another catalog. Pressing any other key will return you to the XB v2.7 Suite main menu.
Also included in this update is the option to press <enter> from the XB v2.7 Suite main menu to install your personalized BOOT program in the cartridge 15k of Gram to autoload upon a reset. This configuration remains in place until the console is powered down.

gallery_29515_833_167785.gif

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo
  • Like 8