IGNORED

The Celery Movie

atari2600land

• 2 weeks later...

It's St. Patrick's Day and what better way to start it than with a green celery update? Mr. Celery is wandering out in the desert, getting tired, when all of a sudden..., well, upload it.

We are supposed to make our own versions and upload them? Too much work! :D

I added a little bit last night. I tried to make the fish look like they're swimming, but I don't know how well I did. The bird drops Mr. Celery into the ocean. Please DOWNload it and offer feedback.

looks good.....suggestion would be to use the same fish from Activision's fishing derby game possibly??? If not yours look fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Milestone reached: the movie is now 6 minutes long. So that means I have to fill about 1.5 minutes. I have to do it with one bank, too, since bank 6 is almost run out. I went back to the very beginning and changed the rabbit hopping in Mr. Celery's house in scene 1. I noticed it was a bit awkward. So I changed it so the rabbit hop looks better. If you want to see that change, download the binary file in the link of the second line of my signature. I added a new scene that brought me to the six minute mark (I had to cheat a little: I added a third star at the beginning where the UFO starts getting off earth.) Mr. Celery, still out in the country, happens upon a pair of swimmers swimming in the lake. I don't know why they are in the middle of the night, though. But this is another milestone of sorts: Mr. Celery is sighted by (visible) humans. You couldn't see the faces of the people driving the cars.

celerymovie35.bas.bin

• Like 2

It's impressive how well this tells a story.

One more suggestion I'd like to make about the animation. The parts with high jumps are awkward because the speed is very linear. I know you're very space limited and this may not be feasible, but maybe you could fit a small lookup table or approximation algorithm so the speed decreases with the height and then increases as the object falls back down.

I don't think I can do that. Right now, two banks have less than 30 bytes left in them. It would take a major shifting of code to have each bank be a near even amount of space left, and that is something I don't want to do. If I can avoid it, that would be great. Also, I'd fear I might break something. I'd hate to do all that work only to find out some other part doesn't work and so I did all that work for naught.

I went back through the code and looked at a few things. I got rid of the dot that was on the world map scene. Plus, I added a scene where Mr. Celery got too tired to move. Now how will he get home? Find out. The thing is now 6.75 minutes long, really close to my target goal of 7.5 minutes. If you want to look at it from the beginning, download it from the link in my signature. The version I post here starts at the end of where I left off last time. The colors are wrong (the ground is blue and the burger is white), but they are correct when the whole thing is played. I know why, so it shouldn't be a problem.

celerymovie37.bas.bin

• Like 1

Well, since it's almost done, I'm looking at ways to distribute it. What I'm planning to do is this:
I bought 10 green DVD cases. When the movie is finished, I'm going to put the movie onto DVD. Then you can buy a copy of the DVD for FREE. You don't even pay shipping. Why DVD format? So anyone, even those without an Atari 2600, can watch it. I'm going to make a cover for the DVD and in case you want a DVD of this, I'll have some. More details will be on the webpage when this is finished.

In the meantime, though, I saw a McDonald's commercial that is similar to this project. Instead of a stalk of celery, though, it was an avocado. But instead of being abducted by rabbit aliens and then trying to find its way home after crashing a hijacked UFO into the pyramids of Egypt, the avocado's quest was to be eaten at McDonald's. It showed the avocado in different locations: atop a building, by the beach. I was stunned when I first saw it. They stole my idea. Oh well. Hopefully they won't sue me for adding the McDonald's scene in my movie.

• Like 3

I can't wait to watch the whole thing! Will there be a DVD case with a DVD insert, or maybe DVD DVD's with a Digital DVD download and a coupon for ranch dressing!?!

I really like the movie and think it will be much better than current media offerings.. I think in the sequel he should dye himself different colors to try and sneak in amongst other vegetables as a secret agent. Maybe have him go to Venus and live on a giant silver 'dinner plate' derigible. He could peanut better himself and sneak raisins across the border! He could council fat girls on weight loss by explaining "The Great Chomp", a long forgotten war between teeth and carrots (secretly won by, you guessed it, celery)!

He could star in his own *gasp VIDEO GAME!! :P

Nah..that idea is waaaay overdone nowadays..

He could narrate "Faces of Crunch" an immensely disturbing video about the sudden deaths of celery (AKA "The Naked Chef", depending on who you are..)!

:thumbsup:

(also..my current number of posts upside down and backwards is "hOE"..)

Edited by Papa

I worked on this some more, and I'm proud to say that it's finished! The total running time: 7:15. Not bad. More details can be had on how to get a DVD version on the second link in my signature. I won't be doing this right away, though. I first have to check and record on real hardware, get the green boxes in the mail, and make some DVDs on request. I'm not sure if anyone wants one. This weekend, I am planning on doing most of this stuff.

• Like 2