IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

I can test this on my PEB 4/a now that I have a working cart again. I will try the soft upgrade from a disk.. I'm leaning towards the issue being the image or gromcfg not the device used to store the update..

Locks up on grom a.. something in my peb system is unhappy with gromcfg i think

It can't be the image as I get identical cartridges using both methods.

I've been testing using a stock TI system - TI 32k, TI disk controller (with 80 track mod), Speech synth, stock console (with reset switch). It's always worked fine with this setup, and been confirmed by others to work with a stock system.
So maybe GROMCFG doesn't get along with any hardware not stock?
Gazoo

It can't be the image as I get identical cartridges using both methods.

I've been testing using a stock TI system - TI 32k, TI disk controller (with 80 track mod), Speech synth, stock console (with reset switch). It's always worked fine with this setup, and been confirmed by others to work with a stock system.
So maybe GROMCFG doesn't get along with any hardware not stock?
Gazoo

Yeah it probably doesn't like my personality card or sid card or foundation 128k card or something else useful :)

I could not get basicload to work at ALL on any computer with the version you sent out.. I regressed to the old version and that loads at least on my PEB 4/a but then locks up programming the first grom

I believe the problem with calls may stem on reprogramming an existing XB27 cart that has an older image on it. The new image loads fine but something is "left over" on the old image. Due to the fact that we are burning only what is needed into the flash device that seems like the only simple answer. Lmk when you have a fix for dm2 call and I'll try that :)

Greg

I want to get one of these but I think I'll wait until the image is stable.

The image works 100%, its just one call.. Waiting is silly but your prerogative if you want to miss out using it.

The device is upgradable so any issues can be easily resolved from software on the TI..

Any issues people are having are fixable with a minipro or I'm happy to reprogram atmels free of charge if you want to ship them to me.

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1

I want to get one of these but I think I'll wait until the image is stable.

The image is stable. Apparently everyone with a stock TI system is able to do an upgrade.

Yeah it probably doesn't like my personality card or sid card or foundation 128k card or something else useful :)

I could not get basicload to work at ALL on any computer with the version you sent out.. I regressed to the old version and that loads at least on my PEB 4/a but then locks up programming the first grom

I believe the problem with calls may stem on reprogramming an existing XB27 cart that has an older image on it. The new image loads fine but something is "left over" on the old image. Due to the fact that we are burning only what is needed into the flash device that seems like the only simple answer. Lmk when you have a fix for dm2 call and I'll try that :)

Greg

BASICLOAD has always worked fine for me regardless of whether the 1284p was 'blank' or programmed, so I can't agree with your assessment. Everything points to non-standard hardware interfering somehow with the programming of the device. Perhaps it's a timing issue introduced by the non-standard hardware that is affecting it.

Gazoo

050215XB27.dsk

CALL DM2 fixed. This error must have been present for quite some time and not noticed until now. VDP register 1 was set incorrectly.

Cart was reprogrammed on a real TI (stock).

All other reported issues were tested and found to be working correctly:

- DM2K

- Decimal-to-Hex

- Catalog from main menu with number keys

- Enter key loading of BOOT with powerup hook into 15k of Gram area

Gazoo

• Like 1

For those not being able to program their cartridges correctly, here's something you may want to try to see if the data's getting in there right.

After you've programmed it, do a ctrl-s and save it. You might have to use another disk if your disk isn't large enough. Save to a differently named data file.

Then use Disk Utilities to compare the saved file to the original data file. I'm betting that you're going to find that they're not identical.

Gazoo

GROMS.dsk

Here's another way to upgrade your cart with GROMCFG. I just tried it and it's tedious, but it works. There are 15 Grom files on this disk, numbered GROM0 through GROME. You have to load one Grom at a time through the viewer. The first 5 Groms are at Grom base >9800, the next 5 are at Grom base >9808, 3 are at >980C, 1 at >9810, and 1 at >9814. Note that the last 2, 'GROMD' & 'GROME' are reversed, make sure you put them in the right place.

This method might work where the 'whole cart at a time' method failed for you.

Gazoo

• Like 1

Fyi I downloaded the 4 28 image to my other non f18a nanopeb 4a at the arcade/warehouse today and it upgraded fine first try. Calls working except dm2

Greg

I'm betting it's the Foundation card that's the problem in the other system. Like the Myarc memory cards, the timing's just a little bit off of the TI 32k card. I've run into that problem before. I'll bet if you swap out the Foundation card for a TI card, it'll work on the other system, too. Probably the same explanation goes for the Nano/CF7 devices.

I wonder if Tursi can tweak GROMCFG to allow a little more leeway so the other devices will work...

Gazoo

I'm betting it's the Foundation card that's the problem in the other system. Like the Myarc memory cards, the timing's just a little bit off of the TI 32k card. I've run into that problem before. I'll bet if you swap out the Foundation card for a TI card, it'll work on the other system, too. Probably the same explanation goes for the Nano/CF7 devices.

I wonder if Tursi can tweak GROMCFG to allow a little more leeway so the other devices will work...

Gazoo

I actually used the nanoPEB, which worked fine.

...lee

[DELETEDattachment=390216:DEC2HEX.dsk]

Here's something to try if you're one of the people that weren't successful in upgrading your XB v2.7 Suite cart and now you can't run Dec-To-Hex.

On the disk is the EA5 program that is executed from cartridge Rom when Dec-To-Hex is selected. Run the file DEC2HEX from TI Writer/Assembler option 6.

Does it work?

If not, you might not have Extended Basic (Grom page 1) flashed correctly. You may want to try some other Extended Basic programs to see if they work correctly.

If it does work, then the Menu page (Grom page 4) wasn't flashed correctly.

If you find that you didn't successfully flash your cart, I would suggest you try it with a stock system with original TI cards, and a real floppy drive.

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

attachicon.gifDEC2HEX.dsk

Here's something to try if you're one of the people that weren't successful in upgrading your XB v2.7 Suite cart and now you can't run Dec-To-Hex.

On the disk is the EA5 program that is executed from cartridge Rom when Dec-To-Hex is selected. Run the file DEC2HEX from TI Writer/Assembler option 6.

It fails to load with I/O Error code 7

I have the HxC and 3.5" FDD connected to the TI FDC in the PEB. I have no other way of transferring data to the TI unless I can download to it using the UDS-10. I also have an external USB 3.5" FDD connected to my PC, but no means of writing TI files to it which could be read on the TI.

Any suggestions?

Edited by wyerd

My Dec2Hex runs, but locks up after displaying the menu. I am flashing from real TI hardware and floppy, the only thing non-standard in my setup is the BwG floppy controller. Honestly, I do not and probably will not use this utility, but I am concerned about other things not working properly. Right now all else is stable and I am willing to leave it at that.

I have the HxC and 3.5" FDD connected to the TI FDC in the PEB. I have no other way of transferring data to the TI unless I can download to it using the UDS-10. I also have an external USB 3.5" FDD connected to my PC, but no means of writing TI files to it which could be read on the TI.

Any suggestions?

There's no reason it shouldn't load, as it's a normal EA5 image. Can you load other EA5 files?

Gazoo

The file exceeds the normal EA5 image type size, Gazoo. Did you pre-pend the 6-byte header to the 8192 byte image dump?

DEC2HEX.dsk

Not that I recall, it's an old file. But anything's possible.

In deference to Texas Insanity, here's a new disk image to try. The file is shortened by 6 bytes, but still works ok. Apparently that data from >FFFA to >FFFF doesn't matter a whole helluva lot. ;)

Gazoo

Edited by Gazoo

Any suggestions?

Hi -

sometime ago I put a (work-in-progress) document together how to transfer files between PC-TI

(e.g. using all non-modded hardware) - see page 4 onwards using VDM99:

* www.globeron.com/freedownload/TI-99-4A-PC-transfer-v1.12.pdf

But I think you need this one:

See page 27 - Omniflop (got this info from Ralf Schmitz) to write directly to a floppy in TI format

Other useful tools are TIDIR 5.5b (from Fred Kaal), page 30

• Like 2

attachicon.gif050215XB27.dsk

CALL DM2 fixed. This error must have been present for quite some time and not noticed until now. VDP register 1 was set incorrectly.

Cart was reprogrammed on a real TI (stock).

All other reported issues were tested and found to be working correctly:

- DM2K

- Decimal-to-Hex

- Catalog from main menu with number keys

- Enter key loading of BOOT with powerup hook into 15k of Gram area

Gazoo

Burned using xb loader for gromcfg on the f18a/nanopeb 4/a works great.. no issues loading dm2 or anything else I have tried this is over a hard burn of the 4/28 copy.. btw if you have time in the future make sure you update your credit screen with the date would make ensuring what version we have loaded easier.. the latest few have had 4/26/15 on them all :)

Thanks for all your hard work and persistence on making this work dude.. we all appreciate it!

Greg