IGNORED

Extended Basic v2.7 Suite Cartridge

Gazoo

Hi Gazoo,

Appreciate all your fast replies and options! I just tried them.

1. I did the upgrade to 050215XB27.dsk, but have the same as "OLD CS1 #342", DEC2HEX loads, but locks.

(and the other item CALL functions hang the system in XB27).

2. Also I noticed (since day 1 when I received the XB27 modules, is that when I turn off / on the TI-99/4A,

then XB27 menu comes up, then it blanks until I press a button, then the menu is back), as long as the TI

is on and do resets FCTN-=, etc. once the menu comes back, then it does not blank (only during the turn on/off console)

3. Also I did the GROM 1:1 upgrade as in Gazoo #335 method

but still the same result (CALL functions do not work and Dec2HEX hangs)

(I am using the nanoPEB, I need to try tomorrow with the original PEB/32K box)

IMPORTANT is Skip GK header ? N

First I used Yes, but then I saw a screen with "Blasto" (Grom E) and shifting
then I re-wrote all GROMs again with GK Header is No (so that it matched the Blasto view)

GROM0 >9800
GROM1 >9800
GROM2 >9800
GROM3 >9800
GROM4 >9800
GROM5 >9808
GROM6 >9808
GROM7 >9808
GROM8 >9808
GROM9 >9808
GROMA >980C
GROMB >980C
GROMC >980C

GROME >9810

GROMD >9814

5. Just out of curiosity (not related to the XB27 issues per above), but it triggered me doing the GROM updates:

Question "GK" Header stands for "Gram Kracker" correct ?

(Sorry I am a newby here, but does it mean you can write Gram Kracker files to this module ? )

(also I saw the 2x RAM0 and RAM1 -- I have an EA+8K RAM module, are these the same banks

(does it mean in theory a EA+8K ram can be programmed?)

Burned using xb loader for gromcfg on the f18a/nanopeb 4/a works great.. no issues loading dm2 or anything else I have tried this is over a hard burn of the 4/28 copy.. btw if you have time in the future make sure you update your credit screen with the date would make ensuring what version we have loaded easier.. the latest few have had 4/26/15 on them all :)

Thanks for all your hard work and persistence on making this work dude.. we all appreciate it!

Greg

In addition to this:

>> The latest few have had 4/26/15 on them all

In the menu it indicates: "Navarrone" should be with 1x R --> "Navarone"

(just double checked the name on the module extender)

Globeron, maybe you have an issue on your nanoPEB ?

Can you, first action after successfully updating the XB27, test it without the nanoPEB for a time ?

(sorry if i am totally wrong in my thoughts)

(yeah, maybe you need this 32K from the nanoPEB for the XB27?)

Ralf

Summary:

1 - CALL functions works starting from XB27NOMENU ---> 050215XB27 upgrades as long the TI-99/4A is not turned off

(after the turn off / on - CALL functions hang the TI).

2 - Also I see the RAM0 and RAM1 moving addresses between the different upgrades.

(and 1x time a RAM0 where the FLASH is located)

3. Furthermore I wonder when the GROMCFG tool is used

GROM + EEPROM A until P are loaded (16 parts), while

the GROM.dsk 1:1 loading only has 0-9, A-E (with are 15 parts)

DETAILS

-----------

Tests with and without the nanoPEB connected

-----------------------------------------------------------

1. I reloaded the "XB27NOMENU".dsk again first (as long I keep the computer on, the CALL NYANYA, etc. works okay)

the moment I turn off/on the TI-99/4A, then it hangs on the CALL functions.

2. Also I tried Ralf's method (using the XB27NOMENU) and NO NanoPEB connected.

Now I can still see the menu options (like Extended Basic 2.7, Review Module Library and I can go through the menus,

like TI-Writer/Assembler, Menu, etc.)

3. using the 1st option (XB27 + review module library) sometimes I can get into the XB mode and do commands like SIZE, etc.

sometimes not, then it hangs with a blank screen.

Also it looks like there is a difference when I start XB27 from the 1st menu (with the Review Module Library)

compared to the one listed in "MENU - option A" (the latter does not start, as it checks 32K?)

4. Now with Nano-PEB connected, I also see it the other way around

> the XB27 with the review module library does not come up (blanks/hangs) when using the option

> but with the "Menu" - "option A", then it loads XB27 and disks, correctly etc., but still no CALL function.

5. Note: also in the XB27NOMENU after a hard off / on, the main titlescreen blanks after 1 sec. until I press a buttion

(no matter if the nano-PEB is connected or not).

6. Using "Menu" - "option A" (XB27) loading the "XB27NOMENU.dsk"

(Question: why it is loading GROMs A until P and EEPROM A until P, which are 16 in total)

While the Grom.dsk only has 0-E (15 in total)

After loading this disk I noticed that >9804 does not list the RAM0 ("6") and RAM1 ("8") anymore (which i saw earlier when doing 1:1: GROM updates),

but they are now at >9820 RAM0 ("6") and RAM1 ("8") and there is a new one RAM0 at >983C ("E")

After turning on/off the TI

> the XB27 (with review library does not work anymore)

> only the Menu with A option, which loads

after reloading GROMCFG then I see at >983C "E" called Flash (and not RAM0 anymore)

> now reload the XB27NOMENU dsk GROMs again

> now the the XB27 option (with review library) works again ???

the memory looks like:

>9820 RAM0 ("6") and RAM1 ("8") and there is still the >983C "E" called Flash

FCTN = (quit) and

> now the the XB27 option (with review library)

> CALL NYANYA works

> now the the XB27 via Menu "option A"

> CALL NYANYA works

>> load the 050215XB27.dsk again

> reload FCTN =

> load GROMCFG.

> now at >9804 the RAM0 ("6") and the RAM1 ("8") and >983C "E" called Flash

> XB27 menu option A

> CALL NYANYA works

> turn off / on the TI

> CALL functions do not work anymore.

Edited by globeron
  • Like 1

I'm starting on a self contained crc check, I think there might be enough room. That ought to tell those that are having problems whether the problem is in their flashing of the cartridge, or somewhere else in their system.

Until that's completed, it's hard to guess as to where the problem some of you are having is. The process works, because many more have succeeded than not.

Gazoo

Fyi I downloaded the 4 28 image to my other non f18a nanopeb 4a at the arcade/warehouse today and it upgraded fine first try. Calls working except dm2

Greg

And then i downloaded 5/2 image on this system and it doesn't work.. no calls work ... so going to reburn it with the minipro sigh

And then i downloaded 5/2 image on this system and it doesn't work.. no calls work ... so going to reburn it with the minipro sigh

Can you try this by loading it (and not turning off the TI), just FCTN = (QUIT), then the calls work fine for me (I did a few "soft resets", etc.)

then all seems to work until I turn off the TI (? means something is not saved properly in the Flash or something?).

I will try the other consoles to see if it is the same.

FYI -

Using the XB27NOMENU.dsk - all the same results here as before

everything works until the power off/on then the CALL function does not work

- I tried 2x TI-USA consoles (silver/black and beige)

- and the 1x TI-USA QI version (beige)

- also I removed the speech synthesizer between the nano-peb and TI.

* Only thing to try is with the real PEB and floppy disks

(but that takes some time to setup for me and to get the image to the floppy disk

need to do it in the weekend)

You could save extra bytes by making the Pass/Fail messages less verbose.

Maybe a simple Green screen with PASS or a Red screen with FAIL would suffice (maybe just a blank Green or Red screen after completing the test, even?).

It's a test which will hopefully only be run a limited number of times and unless the user has difficulty in discerning between Red and Green, the screen colour (British spelling, sorry) will probably be enough to indicate if the cartridge passes or fails.

I'm sure you'll find another use later for the extra bytes you save.

Did we lose Bert and Ernie with the 04/26/15 update? I cannot get it to come up, anymore.

If Bert&Ernie and/or Decimal-To-Hex don't run, then the cartridge Grom is corrupted. Both of those are Extended Basic programs, so other Extended Basic programs probably won't run either. And... there's probably other problems with your cart. Check here for the next upgrade in a day or 2. It will have a built in checksum program to see if you've flashed the cart correctly. If you are unable to flash the cart correctly, you'll need to send it to someone who can.

Gazoo

Question "GK" Header stands for "Gram Kracker" correct ?

(Sorry I am a newby here, but does it mean you can write Gram Kracker files to this module ? )

(Just to answer this as an aside.) Yes, it stands for GRAM Kracker. All the option /really/ does is skip the first 6 bytes of the file as a convenience (or if saving, it writes 6 dummy bytes). It never parses the header, so although you can load GRAM Kracker file this way, if it's 8k or less, you still have to manually configure the mapping.

• Like 1

You could save extra bytes by making the Pass/Fail messages less verbose.

Maybe a simple Green screen with PASS or a Red screen with FAIL would suffice (maybe just a blank Green or Red screen after completing the test, even?).

It's a test which will hopefully only be run a limited number of times and unless the user has difficulty in discerning between Red and Green, the screen colour (British spelling, sorry) will probably be enough to indicate if the cartridge passes or fails.

I'm sure you'll find another use later for the extra bytes you save.

Well, I like being clear. Some people are colourblind (< spelling ;)), or don't pay attention unless you SHOUT AT THEM!

I'll make it fit. :)

Gazoo

If you're still shoe-horning it into EEPROM, Gazoo, you can count how many bytes of EEPROM are /actually/ being used for configuration based on how many banks you have, and SHOULD be able to safely store data in all the rest, even if it is allocated to the mapping table. As long as the complement byte doesn't match, the AVR will assume 'unconfigured' for those entries. ;)

050615XB27.dsk

The cartridge Grom verifier program is embedded in this version. Flash the cartridge as before. Press F6 to check the integrity of the Grom code.

Date is updated on F7 screen, and edge is changed from black to dark blue.

Your TI must be working absolutely perfectly for the flash process to work correctly. I got the red screen several times before I succeeded. I had to reseat all the connectors in the system - cartridge, side port, and pbox cards to get everything working properly. Now I get the green screen every time.

Gazoo

• Like 4

attachicon.gif050615XB27.dsk

The cartridge Grom verifier program is embedded in this version. Flash the cartridge as before. Press F6 to check the integrity of the Grom code.

Date is updated on F7 screen, and edge is changed from black to dark blue.

Your TI must be working absolutely perfectly for the flash process to work correctly. I got the red screen several times before I succeeded. I had to reseat all the connectors in the system - cartridge, side port, and pbox cards to get everything working properly. Now I get the green screen every time.

Gazoo

Hi Gazoo,

Thank you for this verification page, that's good.

1. I keep getting the red-screen.

(also unplugged the power supply, the nano-peb, etc. the module)

tried the XB27NOMENU option and then upgrade, etc.

2. What do you mean by "Flash" the cartridge as before (is there a command to erase all configs on the module, like a low format ?)

or do I need to make use of the dip-switches on the module to "reset" something

(I have not clue what the dipswitches mean and keep them as is)

3. In the mean time I found out the issue the first time the screen gets blank after 1 sec. that is caused by the NanoPEB.

(not sure if someone else has this issue, or do I need to do a software upgrade for the NanoPEB??

Is that possibly the issue ?)

4. In the weekend I will try the normal PEB option with the Floppy Disk, hope that works.