IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

For TurboExpress, you need to cut the screen shield to fit and lose the nec labels, right? Any good instructions online showing the process?

I was thinking of modding my TGE but didn't feel right about the cuts. But also gets find the 2" or so lcd screens anywhere either!

For TurboExpress, you need to cut the screen shield to fit and lose the nec labels, right? Any good instructions online showing the process?

I was thinking of modding my TGE but didn't feel right about the cuts. But also gets find the 2" or so lcd screens anywhere either!

I've performed the mod on my TGE but I haven't cut through the case yet to fit the screen. Check this out: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?253620-Turboexpress-LCD-mod/page3

Look for DoctorDan on page 3 - he has acryllic replacement plastic screens that do not have the NEC Express logo, but this I think will do the best job in covering the opening. and looking as original as possible.

The only other option I can think of is: if the LCD you have is like this ( here ), then you can completely cut out the opening of the TGE case, and hot glue in the plastic cover that the LCD comes with - cheap but it'll do well enough.

Why do you want a new screen for the NGPC???

It's screen is great for playing outside. For indoor use you can do the frontlit mod.

Yes, as I said above that's the only mod I'm familiar with. But lets be honest, who plays devices outside? The backlit mods are far superior in every way.

Thank you for making this LCD mod McWill, it is truly brilliant.

I used a cat 5 cable for the wiring, a cheap soldering iron and a desoldering tool and took my time. The only part that slowed me down was checking the voltage, I didn't realise I needed to reconnect the dpad/buttons ribbon cable.

My batteries ran out and the screen faded to white, I thought I'd been fragged it was so bright.

post-42280-0-37507300-1432310789_thumb.jpgpost-42280-0-88819500-1432310760_thumb.jpg

Edited by TOSser
  • Like 1

Newbie ahoy! I have specifically joined the forum for this thread. Extremely interesting reading all the posts. I do lots of repairs on handhelds. No this is not an advert! I'm just very interested in getting all these consoles up to date with a modern LCD. I'm looking to pre-order the GG LCD, and have lots of customers who are wanting the Lynx II LCD upgrade. Is there a specific way of ordering these LCD's or do i just send a PM over?

Hoping to do lots of business!

Yes, PM McWill and he'll hook you up.

Newbie ahoy! I have specifically joined the forum for this thread. Extremely interesting reading all the posts. I do lots of repairs on handhelds. No this is not an advert! I'm just very interested in getting all these consoles up to date with a modern LCD. I'm looking to pre-order the GG LCD, and have lots of customers who are wanting the Lynx II LCD upgrade. Is there a specific way of ordering these LCD's or do i just send a PM over?

Hoping to do lots of business!

The mod won't power up or the LYNX won't power up?

1. If the LYNX won't power up, check the FPC of the buttons. Perhaps the traces of the FPC are defective / battered. In this case, cut the FPC just 1mm with a scissors.

2. If the mod won't power up, check the VCC +5 Volt and GND wires. If the LCD displays some colored pixels, check TPR / RES and CL2 wires.

Took me another 2 weeks, but I made another run at it.

SUCCESS!

The ribbon that powered the buttons wasn't attached. That got it powered up.

The first power up, 1/3 of the screen was filled with static. I opened it up, moved some wires around, and that fixed that problem. I think two wires were touching.

Great mod! ... just wish I was a better solderer.

• Like 1

Do you have an ETA on that GG LCD yet? Just wondering if I need to sit on about $150 or if I can blow it now and save $150 with next paycheck.

The GG mod boards are already in production and I hope they'll available at the latest on 12th June 2015.

• Like 2

Thank you for making this LCD mod McWill, it is truly brilliant.

I used a cat 5 cable for the wiring, a cheap soldering iron and a desoldering tool and took my time. The only part that slowed me down was checking the voltage, I didn't realise I needed to reconnect the dpad/buttons ribbon cable.

My batteries ran out and the screen faded to white, I thought I'd been fragged it was so bright.

attachicon.gifDSC00498 1.JPGattachicon.gifDSC00536 2.JPG

That really is beautiful!

I am getting about a quarter of the screen filled with static/noise intermittently. Pretty sure it is a wiring problem on my part. Anyone know where to start looking?

Picture of how it looks - https://www.flickr.com/photos/zoyx/17922280018

Because the last third of LCD is not correct, the most possible wire is CLK_A3. But you should also check CLK_A1 and CLK_A2 wires. Perhaps the wires touching another wire or solder point.

Hi, folks!

I need to learn some trouble-shooting for the Lynx I (NOT Lynx 2) mod. I have done the Lynx 2 mod with no problems. Went to do the I today and find it to be MUCH more difficult. Not sure why. I finished connecting it all up and all I get is the screen powering on with 'static' and nothing else. I think I lifted a trace on the pin 18. I thought I connected it with the pin point right above it, but apparently not. Also found trying to get solder to hold on the VCC/Ground pads on the LCD itself to be a huge problem. Also, I do not understand how to test for voltage AFTEr you have disconnected things. The instructions say to pull all of the parts and THEN test, but, there is no power, right, so what voltage is being tested?

Any tips on figuring out what pin(s) is unconnected would be appreciated.

Hi, folks!

I need to learn some trouble-shooting for the Lynx I (NOT Lynx 2) mod. I have done the Lynx 2 mod with no problems. Went to do the I today and find it to be MUCH more difficult. Not sure why. I finished connecting it all up and all I get is the screen powering on with 'static' and nothing else. I think I lifted a trace on the pin 18. I thought I connected it with the pin point right above it, but apparently not. Also found trying to get solder to hold on the VCC/Ground pads on the LCD itself to be a huge problem. Also, I do not understand how to test for voltage AFTEr you have disconnected things. The instructions say to pull all of the parts and THEN test, but, there is no power, right, so what voltage is being tested?

Any tips on figuring out what pin(s) is unconnected would be appreciated.

1. Did you use the board of the LYNX-I mod or the LYNX-II mod? Please check the serial number of the LYNX mod. BTW: The LYNX-I mod has white tape on the FPC.

2. Check all wires again. When your LCD is filled with static check TPR, CL2 and the clock lines CLK_A1-A3.

3. If you lifted pin 18, try to solder a small new wire as a new trace.

4. 5 Volt VOLTAGE CHECK: If you removed all the not needed parts, put in a cartridge and turn the LYNX ON. Check pin 1 and 2 of the removed power module on the LYNX board the 5 Volt as you can see in the quick guide. If the voltage exceeds 5.45 Volt, do not install the LYNX mod! Then the voltage regulation of your LYNX is defective and the LYNX mod will be damaged.

Took me another 2 weeks, but I made another run at it.

SUCCESS!

The ribbon that powered the buttons wasn't attached. That got it powered up.

The first power up, 1/3 of the screen was filled with static. I opened it up, moved some wires around, and that fixed that problem. I think two wires were touching.

Great mod! ... just wish I was a better solderer.

Did you wet the solder you were desoldering real good with flux first? That generally loosens up well, but this stuff is pretty old.

Okay, so here's what happened:

Everything works perfectly now. I have it all buttoned up. Looks great! Took me MANY more hours than it probably should have for a couple of reasons:

1. Removing components: The Lynx II mod meant you had to desolder things. The Lynx I mod really should be CUTTING things. Desoldering the PowerModule is kinda silly and pointless. Same with the fuses and the backlight. Snip snip MUCH faster.

2. COUNTING. OMG! COUNTING on that LCD connection point. So much of a pain in the ass. I found out that I was off by one in the 31+ series. Egads. SO, if you are going to do it, COUNT, then a second time, then just to make sure!

3. Not sure if a trace could actually be lifted on the LCD connection. Nonetheless, I thought I had. Turns out you just have to be very very patient and clean it up after a couple of failed tries.

4. I used IDC cabling for the Lynx II mod and it went SO much more smoothly than this one. I tried Cat6 cabling this time and I am going to advocate NO ONE USE it. It is too stiff and, as such, makes things more brittle than they need to be.

5. The instructions for testing the 5V at VCC and Ground are a little confusing. I mean it should be obvious: You cannot test for voltage if there is not a cart in, but it takes a few minutes to parse through that in your head. Also, you have to figure out how to turn the unit on since all of the buttons are not connected. Yes, I know, simple stuff, but things requiring thought lengthen the project.

So, once again GREAT MOD. It looks AWESOME VERY VERY awesome. I could install MUTLIPLES now, but the first time is always tough!