IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

1. Removing components: The Lynx II mod meant you had to desolder things. The Lynx I mod really should be CUTTING things. Desoldering the PowerModule is kinda silly and pointless. Same with the fuses and the backlight. Snip snip MUCH faster.

Yes, generally speaking if you don't need the components afterwards - it's much easier to snip where you can and then desolder the leftover legs to clean up.

2. COUNTING. OMG! COUNTING on that LCD connection point. So much of a pain in the ass. I found out that I was off by one in the 31+ series. Egads. SO, if you are going to do it, COUNT, then a second time, then just to make sure!

If you keep the LCD itself lined up with the PCB while soldering the wires to the board, there's not as much need to count :)

4. I used IDC cabling for the Lynx II mod and it went SO much more smoothly than this one. I tried Cat6 cabling this time and I am going to advocate NO ONE USE it.

Yes, I'd recommend something very fine for the board/LCD connections for the Lynx I - I used insulated Kynar (wirewrap / 30AWG)

Yes, generally speaking if you don't need the components afterwards - it's much easier to snip where you can and then desolder the leftover legs to clean up.

I'd advise anyone doing so to be 100% sure they are cutting the right part first, check and double check. At least if you remove the wrong part you can put it back in :) You might use a silver marker pen or similar to mark the parts for removal first.

Some of these older parts may not have exact replacements due to environmental laws.

Also only cut the legs too, don't break the parts in half or anything, most semi-conductors are full of poisonous things.

Edited by gilesjuk

If anyone is also looking for one of these screens in the US, I just put my extra up for sale in the marketplace for a Lynx II. I had originally purchased 3, but only ended up needing 2 of them.

If this isn't the right place to post this, please remove. Thanks!

<badger> when will the Game Gear mod be available? </badger>

The production took a bit longer. The boards are on the way to me and I will receive them today or tomorrow. Then I have to program and test them and they are ready for shipping next week. Then I also post some pictures. Thanks for your patience.

• Like 3

Finally got around to installing my McWill screen in my Lynx 2. I will echo what everyone else who has seen this mod has said - it looks sheer awesome.

I have not done the 5v mod yet but plan to. I did check the 5v in my unit and it is fine for now.

Just one comment - when you power on the lynx 2 with this mod, the screen does flash quite brightly for an instant. This is normal right?

- James

Finally got around to installing my McWill screen in my Lynx 2. I will echo what everyone else who has seen this mod has said - it looks sheer awesome.

I have not done the 5v mod yet but plan to. I did check the 5v in my unit and it is fine for now.

Just one comment - when you power on the lynx 2 with this mod, the screen does flash quite brightly for an instant. This is normal right?

- James

When you power it up, you will see some static for a very short moment (0,1 seconds). Then the LYNX sends the data to the screen and the static disappears.

- James

Normal. I wondered why not hold backlight off on power on until the LCD is cleared first? That way it'd come to a blank black screen ad not flash garbage.

Normal. I wondered why not hold backlight off on power on until the LCD is cleared first? That way it'd come to a blank black screen ad not flash garbage.

Because it's better for error tracking. With a black screen you can't easy find the faulty soldered wires. And if you have all wires correct, you just have colored pixels for a very short moment and you know all is okay. If still nothing happens and the colored pixels appear, you know the board is working correct, but something is wrong with the soldered wires ;)

• Like 1

The white flash is before the garbage.

Also playing Ninja Gaiden noticed that the TIME lettering at the top of the screen is black. On the original screen it looks to be red:

attachicon.gifreceived_10153281908015910.jpegattachicon.gifreceived_10153281908475910.jpeg

I have tested the game. The color of TIME is brown. Please check the wires D0-D3 of your LYNX mod.

Another oddity. When using batteries, the modded lynx started flashing the power light to indicate low battery but an unmodified lynx does not with the same batteries. Out of the console the batteries measured around 1.27V per cell.

During my battery test the low battery light only came on when the batteries were just about dead.

Also, Ninja Gaiden TIME is brown on mine as well.

Just tried it again... it's fine it was my steenkin' camera not picking up the brown!

Oops, a color blind camera? Better pack a magnifying glass next time ;)

Here are some pictures of the GG mod:

attachicon.gif P1000768.JPGattachicon.gif P1000769.JPG

Ok so how is it installed? Like Lynx, a few wires here and there? Or is there some serious challenging work involved? With the current RGB mod, some of the wires had to be soldered on fine pins of the chips and one wire had to be positioned in certain way to avoid problem.