IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Can you show a video or some pictures of the mod actually installed and running in a Gamegear - especially the Multisystem mode please!

I try to make a video in the next 2 days.

Great job with the GG display! What does the retro-style jumper do?

I might wait for the TV Tuner support, because I have one, not that there is any TV signal here anymore though.

The retro-style means the 3.5" LCD shows vertical dark lines. The original screen has also vertical dark lines (like horizontal scanlines). Every second pixel has the half brightness. With this option your new LCD looks like an old one, but with high contrast and real colors.

BTW: I am still waiting for the ordered 3.5" LCDs to complete the GG mod. I let you know, when the GG mod is ready for shipping.

• Like 2

Hi,

im fitting my Lynx I with McWills upgrade and have a little problem understanding the manual.

In chapter 3 the next to last sentence is:

"Solder one wire from VCC (5 Volt) to TP12."

I would solder a cable like the red line:

post-18285-0-35311500-1435756454_thumb.jpg

But in the pictures from modded Lynx 1 above (i.e. page 18 or page 19) I can´t find that connection. I am wrong?

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

Hi,

im fitting my Lynx I with McWills upgrade and have a little problem understanding the manual.

In chapter 3 the next to last sentence is:

"Solder one wire from VCC (5 Volt) to TP12."

I would solder a cable like the red line:

attachicon.gifP1090974.JPG

But in the pictures from modded Lynx 1 above (i.e. page 18 or page 19) I can´t find that connection. I am wrong?

Sleepy

You soldered the wire correctly to VCC (left PIN ;) ). He didn't used the VGA out, so he didn't connected the wire from TP12 to VCC. But if you leave the wire from TP12 to VCC, you also must leave the backlight wire. Otherwise your LCD is always OFF.

5 Volt VOLTAGE CHECK: If you removed all the not needed parts, put in a cartridge and turn the LYNX ON. Check pin 1 and 2 of the removed power module on the LYNX board the 5 Volt as you can see in the quick guide.

I think it would be a good idea to add this important hint to the quick guide - it takes a while to remember that the lynx doesn´t switch on without a cart... :ponder:

Voltage is fine (4,95V), but before I continue installing the TFT, I´ll add a "5V-mod".

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

As I mentioned, I´m also doing a 5V-mod. In the 5V-mod R69 is removed.

In the LCD-mod R73 is removed.

Both resistors build a voltage divider between intern 5V and 9V from power connector:

post-18285-0-21255700-1435917148_thumb.png

The mid, called "AC connected", is connected to Mikey´s "color/bw"-pin:

post-18285-0-61538900-1435917172_thumb.png

When I´m doing both mods Mikey´s "color/bw"-pin is open.

What´s the task of this pin? Does it matter when it´s midair?

EDIT:

In a lynx 2 - schematic it´s pulled up to 5V:

post-18285-0-88504300-1435919059_thumb.png

Source for schematics

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy

Doing both mods, I noticed that my Lynx I switched of itself infrequent during playing. My Idea was that this is caused by removing R69 & R73 and the thereby missing "AC connected"-signal for MIKEY.

So I add a 100k pull-up (like some versions of lynx II have) between 5V and the middle of the missing voltage divider as shown in the pic below:

post-18285-0-53128400-1436108125_thumb.jpg

It seems to work now; anyway, I played some sessions Gates of Zendocon without any auto-power-off. :-)

The new display is awesome! Thanx @McWill for this mod! :thumbsup:

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 1

Got mine in the mail last week. But I haven't decided which Lynx to build it into.

I bought a broken one on a local marketsite for which the seller claimed the screen was broken. Turns out the mainboard is probably fried. So I swapped the mainboard with one from another Lynx (because this one had a pristine shell), and it turns out the screen is in perfect condition.

My original old Lynx is fine too apart from a few broken pixels on the screen. HOwever that one was opened up long ago by my dad to fix it and he used some kind of strong glue to attach the rubber grips. Not sure how to remove those.

Though I'm getting another Lynx (plus large bag) today so maybe that one will make a good candidate.

I only wanted a few more games for my old Lynx, honest. ;)

Received mine a week or so ago and did my mod tonight. It looks great in vids and pics, but when you see it in the plastic flesh, goodness me it looks fantastic.

Many big thanks to McWill for this wonderful mod. I'll look forward to future GG mods too :)

(LCD only done, didn't do VGA)

How do we leave +feedback etc here?

Edited by gsxrboy

At the Lynx 1, the TFT´s silver-colored edge is a little bit confusing due to reflections:

post-18285-0-56248600-1436949966_thumb.jpg

I used self-adhesive black tape to cover them. The wide edge can remain unmodified; it´s out of sight.

post-18285-0-43477100-1436949976_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-21592300-1436949984_thumb.jpg

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 1

McWill I've sent you a PM as I couldn't find an email address.

Found out about this kit today and have to say I'm blown away by the quality of the screen. My Lynx II developed a horizontal line across the lower half of the screen, doesn't stop me from using my Lynx II. But I decided to look in to getting it repaired, only to discovered you can now get new screens! Woohoo!