IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

I do hope to spend more time this coming long weekend getting a number of things off the development plate.

In my day job, I've spent the last year cranking out about 25K lines of code on one project, plus numerous other job duties—about 5K lines in the last 2-3 months. (Plus getting dinged for lagging productivity somehow, because I haven't been able to multitask as much. Yay me! I should be thankful I wasn't laid off, I suppose. :-P )

Aaanyway....

The core functionality on the board is solid. I'm working through various UI elements, such as the on-board config menu, and other such niceties. That's my next focus once I can my head back into coding LTO Flash!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We do have a few units out for beta testing now, and so far things are looking pretty good. We're still shaking some issues out of the whole software stack.

I've unfortunately been swamped at the day job. (No surprises there, I suppose.) I have a handful of remaining items on the firmware that I've been slowly addressing.

• Like 4

I can't wait to play Boulderdash on the LTO! icon_rolling.gif

Too soon?

Meh. Elektronite's business decisions regarding Boulder Dash have zero impact or relevance to the development process for LTO Flash.

http://intellivisionrevolution.com/ltoflash

Based on the current information. Do you have a guesstimate on a release date that I can add to my LtoFlash info page?

Any other info that needs changed?

Thanks.

I didn't have a chance to go through the whole page with a fine toothed comb. I will say that this part is slightly out of date:

Each folder can have up to 255 files in it, and the directory structure (and menu layout) is limited to 4 levels.

The filesystem on LTO Flash! (called LFS) has the following limits currently:

• 128 directories
  • 255 files per directory
  • No limit on nesting depth, other than that there's a limit of 128 directories, total.
  • 1536 total files.

As your page notes, LTO Flash! files group together related information, such as the game binary, any configuration information, the game manual, the game's JLP save area (if any), etc. in a single "file". So one "file" may have multiple pieces of information associated with it that would be separate files on, say, a FAT filesystem.

The flash filesystem supports atomic updates with a journal, so any interruption to a filesystem update (say, by yanking the cable or an untimely power outage) will not irreparably corrupt the filesystem. It may leave the menu in a temporarily inconsistent state, but a resync with the GUI will finish the interrupted update. While we do offer a "wipe device" option, it should never be necessary. No "crosslinked sectors" or stuff like the bad old DOS days. The same is true for updates coming from within games (JLP Save Game updates for example). Either they'll get committed entirely, or not committed at all. Under normal circumstances, they'll get committed. But, if you yank the power or something else bad happens just as the game goes to save, the filesystem is guaranteed to end up either strictly in the "before" state or the "after" state, not a "between" state.

In the unlikely (but thanks to engineering's godfather Murphy, not impossible) event that a bug does corrupt the filesystem, we do offer the wipe option. Also, if the filesystem does detect an inconsistency, it will wipe itself. The GUI will detect the mismatch between what it expects and what's there, and will download your last menu layout, etc. to the device.

So far in testing, the "self-wipe" has only happened when I changed the filesystem layout, and we upgraded devices with the old layout to use the new layout. The filesystem layout is stable now, though, and has been for quite awhile now.

• Like 8

Does anyone here have a Windows Vista machine?

I can spin one up in a VM pretty trivially, although depending on what you're wanting to test that may or may not be valid.

That being said, if this product is being delayed because of Vista-compatibility concerns, let me just suggest that perhaps we're over-engineering things a tad. :lol: