IGNORED

New (alt) BIOS for Ultimate 1MB/Incognito

Wrong uflash version. 1.0 is not compatible with the new BIOS, period. Make sure you use the latest one. Specify the path:

A:>UFLASH.XEX

A:>UFLASH.XEX

This is what I did exactly

Recap:

In all cases, I loaded the latest UFLASH.XEX from ... ulbios35.atr .via the floppy in drive 1.

Scenario #1.. when I flash an older UiMB rom, UFLASH.XEX is loadded from A: (D1:). Flashing would be successful.

Scenario #2.. when I flash newer version of UiMB rom (v2.4 or the 35). I execute it through A: (D1:) but for some reason it loads an older version of UFLASH.XEX (v1.0). and flashing fail.

If I disable Boot partition of hard disk (set as D3), Uflash.xex is loaded from A:

My question: why does the UFLASH.XEX load and execute from older U1MB roms successfully every time?. Why it only loads and execute from A: for newer U1MB roms if Boot Partition option is disabled?

madi

Note: newer U1MB roms = the ones that have the newer UGI.

Well presumably you must have another XEX somewhere on the hard disk. This would be an SDX usage matter regarding pathing, etc. And the older flashers will flash the entire 512KB ROM but still not recognise the new BIOS correctly, although they will likely mangle a flash of just the new BIOS. If you can somehow ensure the correct version of the flasher is used, it'll be a lot easier. If you tell SDX to run A:>UFLASH.XEX by typing exactly that, it won't run anything but that executable. Omit the wedge and any paths and default drives and directories can come into play.

Having just updated my Incognito bios, a couple of things to note:

1) The joystick fire button causes the screen to crash. (On the clock setting screen, I had thought it might have the same effect as the 'Ret' key)

2) Can you clarify the distinction between "System: High-Speed OS" and "High-Speed SIO" on the PBI Bios? If the first is set I can use high-speed on an SIO2SD plugged into the computer but if "System: Stock OS" with PBI and H/S-SIO enabled it will NAK.

Sometimes, pressing 'System Reset' hangs the computer and I have to power off, but this is infrequent.

For Incognito:

attachicon.gifinbios35.atr

For Ultimate:

attachicon.gifulbios35.atr

BTW: You request bootable, but SDX must be enabled for flashing to take place anyway, so there's no DOS on these ATRs, since it's pointless including one.

Thanks, it works great! One more question: although PBI is enabled, the SIDE loader claims, that no PBI driver found. What am I doing wrong?

The older U1MB do not Autoboot from partition...

I see what your issue was now. Go ahead and download the first release package and read the documentation:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240034-new-alt-bios-for-ultimate-1mbincognito/?do=findComment&comment=3268961

The "big" changes in functionality are described there, including the way that the boot drive is set in the new BIOS (previously, the only place to set the boot volume was in the partition table itself), and is required reading if you're coming at the latest beta releases without prior knowledge of what's been going on.

Having just updated my Incognito bios, a couple of things to note:

1) The joystick fire button causes the screen to crash. (On the clock setting screen, I had thought it might have the same effect as the 'Ret' key)

2) Can you clarify the distinction between "System: High-Speed OS" and "High-Speed SIO" on the PBI Bios? If the first is set I can use high-speed on an SIO2SD plugged into the computer but if "System: Stock OS" with PBI and H/S-SIO enabled it will NAK.

Sometimes, pressing 'System Reset' hangs the computer and I have to power off, but this is infrequent.

Thanks for the reports. I'll look into this when I get time.

The difference between the High-Speed OS and High-Speed SIO in the PBI settings is that the former is a patched OS containing Hias' High-Speed SIO code, and the latter is the same high-speed SIO code implemented as a "new device" and is therefore independent of the OS in use. They both (AFAIK, although Hias is the one to ask) use the exact same SIO code, so if behaviour is different with a given peripheral, I have no clue why this would be. ProWizard tested it quite thoroughly with a number of different SIO devices (since I simply did not have the time - nor a sufficiently diverse collection of peripherals - to do so).

Thanks, it works great! One more question: although PBI is enabled, the SIDE loader claims, that no PBI driver found. What am I doing wrong?

Possibly an old version of the SIDE Loader. The sooner I finish the new one the better, since all these frustrating incompatibilities between unversioned software will then be a thing of the past.

The latest PBI driver for incognito is 1.0, according to http://atari8.co.uk/apt/incognito/

That's the latest PBI BIOS for the old main BIOS. The new main BIOS should be used with PBI BIOS 1.3, which is found here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240034-new-alt-bios-for-ultimate-1mbincognito/?view=findpost&p=3278539

The PBI BIOS has not changed at all since the first beta releases in this thread. Use of the old PBI BIOS with the new main BIOS will also cause problems with the SIDE loader. Again, since I cannot know in advance who has been following development since the start of the topic, I'd encourage newcomers to give foregoing pages at least a cursory glance. Meanwhile, I will package a README with future releases which one or two people might even read. :)

• Like 2

That's the latest PBI BIOS for the old main BIOS. The new main BIOS should be used with PBI BIOS 1.3, which is found here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240034-new-alt-bios-for-ultimate-1mbincognito/?view=findpost&p=3278539

The PBI BIOS has not changed at all since the first beta releases in this thread. Use of the old PBI BIOS with the new main BIOS will also cause problems with the SIDE loader. Again, since I cannot know in advance who has been following development since the start of the topic, I'd encourage newcomers to give foregoing pages at least a cursory glance. Meanwhile, I will package a README with future releases which one or two people might even read. :)

I updated the PBI bios wit this one: it is not detected by SDX. With the previous version, SDX displayed "PBI version 1.0", now it doesn't display any PBI on boot. The problem (no PBI driver) with the SIDE loader still exists.

The joystick fire button causes the screen to crash.

This should fix the joystick problem:

IncognitoBIOS36.zip

Issue was caused by code creeping into $D0xx. Didn't happen with the Ultimate BIOS. I'll have to set up an assembly conditional to flag up when that code segment gets too big.

Regarding the fire button in general: yes, it does ostensibly act like the Return key, but you can also "gesture" while the button is held down by moving the stick up, down, left or right before releasing the trigger. If no movement occurred while the button was down, "Return" is issued. Using these gestures, it's possible to set the time/date without the keyboard (since Tab, Shift+Tab, Return and Ctrl+Return are emulated).

• Like 1

I updated the PBI bios wit this one: it is not detected by SDX. With the previous version, SDX displayed "PBI version 1.0", now it doesn't display any PBI on boot.

And have you enabled the PBI BIOS notification message in advanced settings? Not everyone wants the splash message, so it's off by default now. :)

The problem (no PBI driver) with the SIDE loader still exists.

Issue must be with the loader itself, then.

And have you enabled the PBI BIOS notification message in advanced settings? Not everyone wants the splash message, so it's off by default now. :)

Issue must be with the loader itself, then.

Don't know how to do that. Before the PBI Bios update SDX displayed the PBI bios version, after the update, it doesn't. Is it a setting of PBI or SDX? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with it... Where can I change this setting?

Edited by jvas

I finally got brave enough to update my Incognito tonight. I started with the PBI BIOS, afterwhich i lost access to the hard drive. I figured as much, so i upgraded the BIOS from a disk image. But even after i upgraded the BIOS and re-enabled the hard drive, I still didn't have access to the hard drive.

Hmmmm, after several cold boots to no avail, I had the bright idea of powering the machine off. Which fixed my issue. Did I miss that in the directions somewhere? (wouldn't be the first time :)

Since it's free, a power-cycle won't hurt. I should probably make this mandatory in uFlash since upgrading to the new firmware completely invalidates everything in volatile and non-volatile RAM. The soft reboot won't clear out everything that needs clearing out, since some stuff survives for the purpose of booting ATRs, etc. Regard a major BIOS upgrade like this in pretty much the way you would a BIOS update on the PC. :)

• 4 weeks later...

So - this is working for everyone, right?

I'd like to finalise this so I can get on with other things. Does anyone miss the key click, or can I leave that out? I had a couple of feature suggestions via email, and need to implement D1: redirection and a couple of other things. Once done, I'll draw a line under it and move on.

There's about 256 bytes of code space left and some of that's already pre-allocated.

• Like 2