IGNORED

Sexiest old computer?

Gotta say definitely the sexiest 8" floppies I have ever seen. Something about the subtly curvy, black trim on white, 70's futuristic TV/movie genre look gets me. May be why I find this fellow so bloody appealing.

Marvin_%28HHGG%29.jpg

marvin_660.jpg

New Marvin is nice, but is he as good as original Marvin?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That specific machine is actually mine =) Bought it together with a huge floppy drive and a printer from a guy back in 1999. I have since then lost the printer, but the PET 200 + floppy drive is still in my possession. Another image can be found here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsiSpLHUx

Nice pictures, the room really match the computer. That is such a good looking computer. Edited by Seob

I just got my first ZX81 for FREE! ;)

If you want one for free too, just download the attachment below!

I have Eight... And NOT the Paper Ones... Do you need me to send you One??? With RAM Pack?? ( Sorry, No Power Supply.... )

MarkO

Hmmm, how much? Can I think about it for a day or two? Things are getting kind of slow with the TI, so a new platform might just be the ticket. I need to look around and see what kind of storage devices are available and what kind of programs are available as well. Sny suggested links? Thanks for the offer.

Not a lot.. For a fellow AtariAge member..

The TS1000 has 2K RAM Standard, and then the 16K RAM Pack will give most all you will typically need.. These are NTSC units for U.S.A and Canada, ( and I guess Mexico )..

There is some "good stuff" in here,Got a new toy.

I don't have a lot of Sinclair links... I haven't got around to getting back into them, yet...

MarkO

Sounding okay so far, the most important things to me are availability of programs and how to get them from the Internet/PC to the TS1000/ZX81.

The Sinclair is a Tape Load/Save system.. Audio Files and your PC or Tablet to Serve them... There is a 32K RAM Pack with SD Storage too...

MarkO

Audio Files and your PC or Tablet to Serve them... There is a 32K RAM Pack with SD Storage too...

MarkO

I can't say I'm very inspired with the prospect of using a slow tape system because my PC's audio out is attenuated. Now this RAM pack with SD storage has me intrigued! Do you have a link where I can find out more about that item?

--- Ω ---

I can't say I'm very inspired with the prospect of using a slow tape system because my PC's audio out is attenuated. Now this RAM pack with SD storage has me intrigued! Do you have a link where I can find out more about that item?

--- Ω ---

The RWAP Website. It's called ZXpand. Here is the Manual. It appears Out of Stock.. :(

2435_SinclairZX81_ZXpand_interface_back-

I wonder if they are making any more runs of them? I would be interested in a couple....

MarkO

• Like 1

It appears Out of Stock.. :(

I wonder if they are making any more runs of them? I would be interested in a couple....

Nice post!! It's very interesting to see how even that little computer has had an SD card interface designed for it.

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to pass though, sorry. I was interested, but I'm just not willing to get into another computer where I have no idea how long I'll have to wait for something that important to it's usability. I'm patient, but even I eventually get bored, lose interest and then move on.

Thanks though, it was fun to consider for a few days.

• Like 1

Nice post!! It's very interesting to see how even that little computer has had an SD card interface designed for it.

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to pass though, sorry. I was interested, but I'm just not willing to get into another computer where I have no idea how long I'll have to wait for something that important to it's usability. I'm patient, but even I eventually get bored, lose interest and then move on.

Thanks though, it was fun to consider for a few days.

Well-if the ZX81 don't "float your boat", howabout one of these little guys.

spectrum.jpgspectrum_plus.jpg

You could then add one of these little beauties!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-new-DivMMC-EnJOY-Black-Edition-SD-card-interface-ZX-Spectrum-/400985838660?hash=item5d5c9e5444

And then you could maybe have a game of,

battlezone-1024x628.pngzx_3D_Tank_Duel_1984_Realtime_Games_Soft148-strilecky-5.pnghqdefault.jpggaming-the-hobbit-1.jpghqdefault.jpgjetpacLoading.gifclassic2.jpgtrapdoor-2.gifhqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Well-if the ZX81 don't "float your boat", howabout one of these little guys.

spectrum.jpg

I had a TS-1500 in my collection and didn't mind it for what it was.

Since there was 16K build in, there were no issues with the RAM expansion and it was easier to type on that my TS-1000 even with it's replacement keyboard.

But that keyword entry method... I'll never get used to that. Seems to me adding a tokenizer didn't take a lot of code either.

I think Timex would have been able to stay in the market longer if the TS-1500 had been what they introduced in the US instead of the TS-1000.

ts1500.jpg

Edited by JamesD
  • Like 3

I had a TS-1500 in my collection and didn't mind it for what it was.

Since there was 16K build in, there were no issues with the RAM expansion and it was easier to type on that my TS-1000 even with it's replacement keyboard.

But that keyword entry method... I'll never get used to that. Seems to me adding a tokenizer didn't take a lot of code either.

I think Timex would have been able to stay in the market longer if the TS-1500 had been what they introduced in the US instead of the TS-1000.

ts1500.jpg

I never really cared much for the keyword entry system but I suspect there may well have been a practical reason for it, I would not be surprised if it was to reduce the number of key depressions needed when entering data-that would in turn reduce wear on the membrane which are prone to failure-especially the Spectrum+ models.