IGNORED

LTO Flash! - Intellivision Flash Cartridge Information

The only two Windows operating systems that I have ever used are Millenium Edition (on my old desktop) and Vista (on my current laptop).

so youve purposely lived life with one arm tied behind your back. Worst two windows versions ever.

Yeah, it'd be like judging Star Trek by only seeing "Spock's Brain" and "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier".

Edited by intvnut
  • Like 1

But will this software be available for Windows for Workgroups? How about FreeDOS?

Well... given that neither of those even has a clue what USB is... That said, if someone really wants to go there, and is running those in a VM under an OS that does support USB, LTO Flash! does just look like a standard (if quite fast) serial port. So if the host exposes the serial port to WfW or FreeDOS, it's technically possible. I can make the wire protocol available if someone really wants to go there.

Steve and I, though, won't be providing a first-party UI for either of those platforms.

Yeah, it'd be like judging Star Trek by only seeing "Spock's Brain" and "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier".

I like "some" of Star Trek V. Certainly more than that last ripoff that came out.

The Wrath of Khan is my favorite, and paying homage to it in the last movie would have been great.

But I knew every line for the last hour of Star Trek 11 before it was said. How unoriginal can you get?

J.J. Is a starter, not a closer! How I loved LOST until the last season and final epishit.

But back to Windows. Vista and Millennium... OUCH! In the year 2000... Windows CE was merge with ME and NT to make a real concrete OS.

.....Anyone?

I hope it has full Windows 10 support, including phoning home to Left Turn Only to report on every ROM that I load into the cartridge. So that intvnut can, ya know, improve the product based on usage statistics and such. Yeah, that's it.

Ironically, this is one of the few products where I'd almost *welcome* ads. Given that people seem incapable of using a single website or forum for our tiny community, maybe paid ads in the LTO Flash! launcher would allow me to keep up with all 8 releases a year.

Oh well... screw you all, then. :)

Don't feel bad Eric. I've used both ME and Vista without problems as well. ME was basically Win98 - people just forget how shitty the Win9x line was as a whole. And Vista/7 are basically the same underlying core - 7 is more of a service pack to Vista than anything, with a new GUI (that quite frankly a lot of people still despise). None of them have been terribly good - the best desktop OS Microsoft ever released (2000) wasn't used by the general public as a whole. XP took that, added some crapiness, and went down in history as the best-received Windows version of all time. People are STILL using it.

Windows 8 is a through-and-through abomination though. Almost everyone agrees on that one except the apologists. And tablet fanatics.

I'll bet that Millennium Edition was 'running' on a Pentium 3 too....with a full Norton suite installed. Oh the horrific memories.

Any Norton anti-virus product will essentially cut your computer's speed by 30-60%, while simultaneously letting all manner of malware and viruses through.

McAfee is about the same.

The vast majority of the virus/malware laden PCs my customers bring me have one of those installed. You can't ask for better proof than that.

My recommendation (for years) has been and still is ESET NOD32.

...not to mention that people typically pay like $70 for a year of Norton 360 and let it expire before starting to look for another option.

I currently I use the free stuff from Charter (F-Secure). It never expires as long as you are a current Charter customer. It's not terribly 'heavy' or 'chatty' and I rarely notice it's there. I also use Malwarebytes and CCleaner for occasional scans and registry cleaning. I haven't had a virus (that I know of) in years. I'm running Windows 7 on a gaming machine I built in 2008. Still runs great! [e8400 Core2Duo, 8800 gt VGA, 2x2gb 1066 DDR2]

• Like 1

Continuing to veer off-topic... I once had to deal with a computer where the free trial Norton Backup had expired. This expired trial had the happy side effect of locking down virtually *all* the physical RAM in the system (presumably for running the now-forbidden backup), leaving a couple hundred MebiBytes (that's MB to you old-timers :P ) of RAM available for everything else. That was fun to track down. I will say that the remote assistance feature in Windows 8 actually worked well for this! The computer was 1200 miles away, and even with such scant resources had enough to pull that off.

• Like 1

Well... given that neither of those even has a clue what USB is... That said, if someone really wants to go there, and is running those in a VM under an OS that does support USB, LTO Flash! does just look like a standard (if quite fast) serial port. So if the host exposes the serial port to WfW or FreeDOS, it's technically possible. I can make the wire protocol available if someone really wants to go there.

Steve and I, though, won't be providing a first-party UI for either of those platforms.

Don't worry, I was joking around. I -really- hope no one using these OSes as their main OS. :-P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been putting the LTO Flash! through its paces. I hope to do a lot more this weekend.

As a new user, I've found the software easy to use. However, the GUI is continuing to be worked on and improved.

The unit pictured is a production unit and not a 'prototype'.

post-31813-0-89163000-1442666231_thumb.jpg

Edited by Games For Your Intellivision
  • Like 6

The bottom part of the TV where the controls are look like the upper top part of the Sears Super Video Arcade the brown part above where the controllers plug in. The Sears Intellivision was the Best version of Intellivision, it had removable controllers like Intellivision 2 but played all Intellivision games and was better ventilated.