IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Star League Baseball ROCKED!! One of my early purchases. Best friend and I played it back in the day, and have played it ever since to this day. Now we use emulation, but that game ROCKED!! Many intense battles.

Yeah, I remember enjoying that one a lot. And a friend of mine would come over and play it too. Lots of fun.

A couple of people have mentioned getting involved so I thought it would be worth highlighting the different ways people can help out.

The ultimate goal is for the preservation list to include all software released for Atari 8-bit computers and to have each entry become "green". The following three criteria must all be met for green status:

1. There is a raw damp for that title (e.g. flux dump for disk, WAV for cassette) generated from original media that can produce a working image (e.g. ATX, CAS, etc).

2. The dump has been verified. This means that it has been successfully compared against at least one other independent image (preferably from original media but can also be a copy of an original). For example, if we dump a second original and the two are identical we can consider it verified. Or if an ATX we create is identical to an ATX on Atarimania we can consider it verified. This is what the "Verify Count" column in the preservation spreadsheet is tracking. Files with a [!] in the preservation torrent indicate a verified title.

3. We have a 300dpi or better scan of the media (disk, cassette or cartridge), box and manual. This is what the "Media Scan?", "Box Scan?" and "Manual Scan?" columns in the preservation list are tracking.These scans are used to generate PDF files that are being uploaded to archive.org and being distributed in the PDF torrent.

It's also worth noting that items in red on the spreadsheet indicate a problem with a title. It might be that the dump was made from a copy of an original or the dump appears to have errors in it. This is reflected in the files in the torrent -- if a title is from a questionable dump, it will have a in its filename. If it's from a copy of an original, it will have a [p] in its name.

So having said all that, people can help out in a few ways:

1. Provide original titles that are not on the list or are listed in red. Some people donate software to the project, others loan it while others send dumps that they've created themselves. Although a dump of an original is the ultimate goal, we'd rather have a list entry in red than no list entry at all. So we'll gladly accept a copy of an original made with a Happy or Duplicator drive.

2. Provide titles that are on the list but not yet green. Again, original media (although preferred) is not required for verification. A copy made with a Happy or Duplicator modified drive works just as well.

3. Provide media, box and manual scans that are missing. These should be done at 300dpi or greater.

4. Verify and provide corrections to information in the preservation list. There's a lot of meta-data on the list and we want to be sure it's accurate -- company, release date, version number, whether a title requires BASIC, whether it requires OS-B, whether it requires > 48K, whether it requires PAL or NTSC, etc.

5. Verify files in the software torrent. The torrent is automatically generated from the preservation list so it's possible that if something was fat-fingered in the list that there's a problem with that title in the torrent.

As you can see, there are a number of ways to help out. This initiative has consumed hundreds of hours thus far for those involved so anything others can do to chip in would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Farb

I have these original disks that aren't in your google spreadsheet I'm willing to lend you for imaging:

Chop Suey

Colossus Chess 3.0

Data Manager XL

Express!

Family Tree

First XLent Wordprocessor

Heathcliff

Original Adventure

SpartaDOS Multi I/O

SpartaDOS Tool Kit

Starcross

Suspect

Syncalc (two versions)

Synfile+

TeleTari (some writing on the label unfortunately)

Timewise

Ulysses (and the Golden Fleece)

Warp Speed Software

Wizard and the Princess

Word Flyer

XE Term

Zombies

Some more European cassette additions from Kr0tki:

Eastern Front (1941) (Atari)

Football Manager (Addictive Games)

Geografia świata (Krysal Software)

Inny świat (Mirage)

Kampania wrześniowa (L.K. Avalon)

Klątwa (L.K. Avalon)

Kolony (Mirage)

Lasermania + Robbo Konstruktor (L.K. Avalon)

Magia (Mirage)

Master Head (Sonix)

Micro Rhythm (Firebird)

ISP's generally no longer provide included access to usenet (unfortunately). For many, usenet access is now a pay proposition.

Some maybe, I am with Shaw Cable in western Canada and while they no longer have their own news servers they have a contract with highwinds-media. The following is from pinging news.shawcable.net. Retention is currently about 100 days, pretty good for an ISP provided news server.

newsfarm.iad.highwinds-media.com

• Like 1

Did you already find a solution to read (and preserve) flippies ?!?

I think so, but if not, some C64 guys used a simple trick with two 5,25" Teac (FD-55-GFR) floppy drives to get the index impulse for diskside B of a disk that does not have an index hole - drive 1 (reading any disk, diskside A) gives the index impulse for drive 2 (reading diskside B) or something like that:

http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/FLIPPY.htm

Since I do not own a Kryoflux drive, I do not know if this trick is also possible there, but maybe it is...

(there are some more tips & tricks on that old webpage for C64 disk preservation with Disk2FTI, e.g. this one: http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/525HDMOD.htm and a few others).

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Did you already find a solution to read (and preserve) flippies ?!?

I think so, but if not, some C64 guys used a simple trick with two 5,25" Teac (FD-55-GFR) floppy drives to get the index impulse for diskside B of a disk that does not have an index hole - drive 1 (reading any disk, diskside A) gives the index impulse for drive 2 (reading diskside B) or something like that:

http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/FLIPPY.htm

Since I do not own a Kryoflux drive, I do not know if this trick is also possible there, but maybe it is...

(there are some more tips & tricks on that old webpage for C64 disk preservation with Disk2FTI, e.g. this one: http://www.oldskool.org/disk2fdi/525HDMOD.htm and a few others).

Yes, thanks for the information. A very creative approach!

I'm currently using a modified Panasonic JU-475 to image flippy disks. Using Kryoflux I can dump both sides of the disk in one pass.

There are quite a few new updates. Thanks to all that contributed!

From myself:

M.U.L.E. (Electronic Arts)

Last V8, The (Mastertronic)

MidiPatch - Yamaha DX-7 (Hybrid Arts)

MidiTrack III (Hybrid Arts)

Oasis Visual Editing System for Ensoniq Mirage (Hybrid Arts)

Saracen (Datasoft) - with help from Larry

Soccer (Gamma Software)

Star Fleet I - The War Begins! (Cygnus)

Teletalk (Datasoft)

Word Flyer (Electronic Arts)

From advfan:

Adventure in Time (Phoenix Software) I'm uncertain if this has a dump error -- does anyone have an original they'd be willing to send a copy of for verification?

Lancelot (Level 9)

Moon Shuttle (Datasoft)

From Allan:

Anthill (APX)

Caterpiggle (APX)

Codecracker (APX)

Cubbyholes (APX)

Instedit (APX)

Keypad Controller (APX)

Salmon Run (APX)

Sketchpad (APX)

Terminal Emulator v3.1 (APX)

Ultimate Renumber Utility (APX)

From djmat56:

Attack of the Mutant Camels (Mastertronic)

Gridrunner (Mastertronic)

Kikstart (Mastertronic)

Living Daylights, The (Zeppelin Games)

Mountain Bike Racer (Zeppelin Games)

Ninja (Mastertronic)

On Cue (Mastertronic)

One Man and His Droid (Mastertronic)

Universal Hero (Mastertronic)

From Kr0tki:

Football Manager (Addictive Games)

Geografia świata (Krysal Software)

Inny świat (Mirage Software)

Inside (Spektra)

Kampania wrześniowa (L.K. Avalon)

Klątwa (L.K. Avalon)

Kolony (Mirage Software)

Lasermania + Robbo Konstruktor (L.K. Avalon)

Magia (Mirage Software)

Master Head (Sonix)

Micro Rhythm (Firebird)

Miecze Valdgira II - Władca Gór (ASF)

Mózgprocesor (Computer Adventure Studio)

Piłkarski poker (Sikor Soft)

Przemytnik (ASF)

Quick Assembler v1.0 (L.K. Avalon)

Robbo (L.K. Avalon)

Roderic (Mirage Software)

Rucu (L.K. Avalon)

Skarbnik (ASF)

Sound Tracker v07 (ASF)

Spiky Harold (Firebird)

Spy's Demise + Spy Strikes Back (Electric Dreams)

Stack Up (L.K. Avalon)

Starquake (Bubble Bus)

Steve Davis Snooker (Blue Ribbon Software)

Storm (Mastertronic)

Super Fortuna (Mirage Software)

Videograph v2.0C (Mirage Software)

Władcy Ciemności (L.K. Avalon)