IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi guys,

Hmmm, this loks intriguing. SNK/Playmore is possibly leaving the Pachinko-Slot division.

http://dreamcancel.com/2015/10/09/snk-playmore-possibly-shutting-down-pachinko-slot-division/

SNK PLAYMORE POSSIBLY SHUTTING DOWN PACHINKO SLOT DIVISION

CQ4qHQiUEAAKtIL.jpg

According to a report by Pachinko industry site Pachislot Village, SNK Playmore will be shutting down their Pachinko Slot business. They reported that SNK Playmore currently has no new Pachinko Slot machines on file for approval in the new couple months.

Separately, a report on Yugi-Nippon reported that the SNK Playmore will close their Tokyo office at the end of this month. The Tokyo office handles most of the of SNK Playmore’s Pachinko Slot business. The Tokyo staff will be given the option to transfer to the games division at the Osaka main office.

The Pachinko Slot business has been in decline in recent years. Four other companies have left the Pachinko Slot industry due to various reasons. One of the main reasons to the decline is the possibility of gambling legalization in Japan. Pachinko makers are set to face immense competition against foreign multinationals and face addition gambling taxes should the gambling legalization bill were to pass next year.

SNK Playmore’s decision to shut down their Pachinko Slot division is a sharp turn from the remarks that president Koichi Sotyama made earlier this summer “… The Pachislot market is currently suffering from a massive decline of users in their 20’s, and it is important that we develop new machines targeted towards the younger range audience. We are a Pachislot maker as well as a Videogame maker. We will do our best to make Pachislot fans out of videogame fans.”

Sources:

Pachinko Village, Yugi Nippon via Kof Koucha, Professor, Gatoray

Anthony...

• Like 2

Well that's interesting. While I would love to say woohoo more new games coming, the odds are they're making more money from mobile games than anything else so we'll likely see a surge of mobile releases. I suppose that's not bad, but part of me wants a Neo Geo 2 to get released and they start rocking out new arcade games. Yes, a man can dream!

Not sure if you saw my last comment Anthony, but do you think NG: Dev Team could be making a PGM-like system? The PGM3 hardware hit in 2012, and there hasn't been a new cart based arcade system since.

• Like 1

I’m right there with you Anthony. This is extremely interesting now. If this will work with your home entertainment system as well as an arcade cabinet, I’m really curious to know if they’ve gone ahead and designed an entirely new platform with interchangeable carts. Do you think we could potentially be looking at something like the PGM? I am so curious now. A modern day arcade platform like that could easily have an HDMI out, plus a JAMMA/JVS harness. Man I am so damn interested to see what they’ve got planned.

You can say that again Jarrod. :) Sorry I overlooked this posting of yours!

Think of the possibilities that this new hardware it has to offer to the gaming public. PGM capabilities, HDMI ready, JAMMA/JVS potential is all giving me goosebumps Jarrod! :-D

The thing that concerns me right now is the cost. If they can offer it at a reasonable price to the community, I would love to invest in NG Dev Teams new hardware. But I do would like to see a working prototype and the specifications to it. While I do hope that they learn from the mistakes with the RVGA, NG Dev Team DOES listen to the community in regarding to what they desire in a video game like they did with the Kraut Buster AES CE pre-order fiasco!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Well that's interesting. While I would love to say woohoo more new games coming, the odds are they're making more money from mobile games than anything else so we'll likely see a surge of mobile releases. I suppose that's not bad, but part of me wants a Neo Geo 2 to get released and they start rocking out new arcade games. Yes, a man can dream!

Hi Jarrod,

I feel that's were the main source of their income will be coming as well. But it will be short term Plus, they were acquired by a company in China makes me feel that SNK is consolidating once again on what they're future projects will be besides mobile device software. I would love to see a Neo-Geo 2, but the SNK that we know today has been barely an existences for 14 years now. At the establishments current state, I doubt it. But you'll never know what the future holds!

I wish they do! :)

I also hope that King of Fighters XIV does become successful, but many are already doubting it after the screenshots and 30 second video already! But its an improvement since Maximum Impact that's for sure!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Cost is going to be crucial here for NG: Dev Team. When the PGM, PGM2, and PGM3 hardware was released alongside a game, it was around $1,000 or so if my memory serves me right. Do keep in mind that these arcade platforms were not the strongest out there, but I think that's what NG: Dev Team will likely do. They can't possibly alienate the fans that have been there for the past decade by pricing this at $5,000 or something like that. The problem is that arcade hardware is expensive to begin with so this surely won't be a $300 machine. If they offer a launch model that comes with their first game for a bundle deal of around $1,000 that keeps them in line with their Collector's Edition pricing on their MVS and AES games. They were going for what 500€ no? So I can see 800€ to 1,000€ for the hardware bundle. If they can come up with their own cheaper alternative to large carts then who knows the pricing may be significantly lower but it will really depend on what they do.

As for SNK, yeah they're much like SEGA, a former shadow of the company they once were. It's sad, but I do hope they live on in some capacity. I hope KOF XIV turns out, but much like the masses I wasn't overly impressed by what I've seen thus far.

• Like 1

Big news guys, at least big news as far as I'm concerned. I asked NG: Dev Team on Facebook the following, pertaining to their new arcade hardware:

Fantastic news (and the first I've heard of it). I've been looking into other hardware options this morning (specifically atomiswave and pgm), so I'd be in the mood for it this week, anway.

I'm guessing the main thing driving this bus is probably the huge cost involved with neo geo releases--that's a lot of custom board in there, and it's really not set up for the 1500mbit games they're pushing to it anyway.

I'm very interested in more info. If I were driving this one I'd probably go for a mobile SOC. There's no special reason why the standard cheapo cellphone chip out there can't totally smack a naomi2 or a triforce around these days, so I'm slightly surprised I haven't heard of similar projects before. Quick/cheap dev (including easier modern console and mobile ports), less expensive media and a big old jamma connector, makes me a pretty happy gamer.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Cost is going to be crucial here for NG: Dev Team. When the PGM, PGM2, and PGM3 hardware was released alongside a game, it was around $1,000 or so if my memory serves me right. Do keep in mind that these arcade platforms were not the strongest out there, but I think that's what NG: Dev Team will likely do. They can't possibly alienate the fans that have been there for the past decade by pricing this at $5,000 or something like that. The problem is that arcade hardware is expensive to begin with so this surely won't be a $300 machine. If they offer a launch model that comes with their first game for a bundle deal of around $1,000 that keeps them in line with their Collector's Edition pricing on their MVS and AES games. They were going for what 500€ no? So I can see 800€ to 1,000€ for the hardware bundle. If they can come up with their own cheaper alternative to large carts then who knows the pricing may be significantly lower but it will really depend on what they do.

As for SNK, yeah they're much like SEGA, a former shadow of the company they once were. It's sad, but I do hope they live on in some capacity. I hope KOF XIV turns out, but much like the masses I wasn't overly impressed by what I've seen thus far.

Fantastic news (and the first I've heard of it). I've been looking into other hardware options this morning (specifically atomiswave and pgm), so I'd be in the mood for it this week, anway.

I'm guessing the main thing driving this bus is probably the huge cost involved with neo geo releases--that's a lot of custom board in there, and it's really not set up for the 1500mbit games they're pushing to it anyway.

I'm very interested in more info. If I were driving this one I'd probably go for a mobile SOC. There's no special reason why the standard cheapo cellphone chip out there can't totally smack a naomi2 or a triforce around these days, so I'm slightly surprised I haven't heard of similar projects before. Quick/cheap dev (including easier modern console and mobile ports), less expensive media and a big old jamma connector, makes me a pretty happy gamer.

Hi guys,

I'm getting much more enthusiastic about this new hardware as the hours go by! :-D I hope this with revitalize the arcade environment here in the United States. Its been pretty much a bummer that most around the country hardly exist. We have Dace & Busters close by were I live, but nothing like a true arcade establishment in the Bronx.

Yes, its going to be expensive to make them. But I wonder if they will be manufacturing these units after one fully make a complete payment to purchase one! I hope they don't make the errors like what happen with the RVGS. But the good news is NG Dev Team does listen to what the customers say! I've would like to see a working prototype in the immediate future and what the price is to acquire one. If its at a reasonable price, I'll certainly take this into consideration. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

I don't think they'll be going the Retro VGS route. There won't be a Kickstarter or Indiegogo for this. This will be an entirely new piece of arcade tech. The Retro VGS was trying to hit critical mass by appealing to a large and ever growing retro userbase. What NG: Dev Team appears to be going after is the niche arcade market, and the hardcore gamers like us that want to experience the arcade in their living room. There really are a LOT of questions surrounding this. Like Reaperman said, they could go the cost-effective route and include readily available mobile chips in order to cut the costs down significantly, and then use existing SD cards or some sort of hybrid to get the games out there. That would end up with a product that gives them the space they want, the power they need, and it doesn't have to break the bank. That said, there are all sorts of questions like what would the input device be. Would they stick with four buttons of the Neo, or expand to 6, etc. So many questions! Haha.

• Like 1

I don't think they'll be going the Retro VGS route. There won't be a Kickstarter or Indiegogo for this. This will be an entirely new piece of arcade tech. The Retro VGS was trying to hit critical mass by appealing to a large and ever growing retro userbase. What NG: Dev Team appears to be going after is the niche arcade market, and the hardcore gamers like us that want to experience the arcade in their living room. There really are a LOT of questions surrounding this. Like Reaperman said, they could go the cost-effective route and include readily available mobile chips in order to cut the costs down significantly, and then use existing SD cards or some sort of hybrid to get the games out there. That would end up with a product that gives them the space they want, the power they need, and it doesn't have to break the bank. That said, there are all sorts of questions like what would the input device be. Would they stick with four buttons of the Neo, or expand to 6, etc. So many questions! Haha.

So many questions, so little answers at this time. I would like to see more for the spec in regards to the hardware too.. I would also love for them make a bartop unit for those that like to save space, I saw a few of them in a Neo Geo vids that I posted here regarding custom cabinet works. If they make that option, I have a perfect area to put it in for that little unit! :)

Anthony...

That would be very cool actually. They said 2016 before we know anything else, so the wait is going to be painful. By the way, do we have an estimated release date for Kraut Buster? Is it mid or late 2016?

Hi Jarrod,

Yeah, a bartop unit would be excellent. I just have enough room to put it near my bedroom. :-D

Most likely mid 2016 will be their objective goal for Kraut Buster. They'll start with the MVS and later on the AES. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a delay announcement which they been known for in the past! They're known not to guarantee those shipping dates.

Pre-orders for Kraut Buster LE AES will be done in late October . :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Yeah, the Kraut Buster LE version should sell out quickly. I hope it won't be a disappointing title! :music:

Anthony...

I'm sure it will turn out :) The only titles NG: Dev Team have left on their Direct shop are the regular MVS version of Kraut Buster, and the notification of the upcoming reprints for Last Hope Pink Bullets and Gunlord. I'm hoping those open up in December, but they told me they may only open next spring. Interestingly though, they are making an unlimited number of the mVS version of Kraut Buster. Everyone who pre-orders one will get one, and they said this because they don't think they'll be reprinting it. That leads me to believe that on this new hardware they'll be porting over both Neo XYX and Kraut Buster, as those are the only two that they've repeatedly said they won't be reprinting.

• Like 1

I'm sure it will turn out :) The only titles NG: Dev Team have left on their Direct shop are the regular MVS version of Kraut Buster, and the notification of the upcoming reprints for Last Hope Pink Bullets and Gunlord. I'm hoping those open up in December, but they told me they may only open next spring. Interestingly though, they are making an unlimited number of the mVS version of Kraut Buster. Everyone who pre-orders one will get one, and they said this because they don't think they'll be reprinting it. That leads me to believe that on this new hardware they'll be porting over both Neo XYX and Kraut Buster, as those are the only two that they've repeatedly said they won't be reprinting.

Yes, Kraut Buster will have unlimited numbers. Everybody will receive a copy for the MVS once they order one. Gunlord and LHPB will be reprinted. Which I love Gunlord. Its my favorite title so far from them.

As for Neo XYX, they mention they will be discontinuing reprints for the MVS for reasons they will announced in their newsletter. If it will be on the new hardware, that's great. I never really cared for the yoko mode in the game though!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Yes, Kraut Buster will have unlimited numbers. Everybody will receive a copy for the MVS once they order onc. Gunlord, LHPB will be reprinted. Which I love Gunlord. Its my favorite title so far from them.

As for Neo XYX, they mention they won't be discontinuing reprints for the MVS for reasons they will announced in their newsletter. If it will be on the new hardware, that's great. I never really cared for the yoko mode in the game though!

Anthony...

I'm starting to think that games they won't be reprinting will be making a transition to their new hardware. Last Hope, Gunlord, Razion, and Fast Striker will continue to be remade for the MVS, but maybe they'll be releasing almost like an enhanced version of Kraut Buster and Neo XYX at some point in the future. Who knows though. I am very curious to read that newsletter haha.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think that games they won't be reprinting will be making a transition to their new hardware. Last Hope, Gunlord, Razion, and Fast Striker will continue to be remade for the MVS, but maybe they'll be releasing almost like an enhanced version of Kraut Buster and Neo XYX at some point in the future. Who knows though. I am very curious to read that newsletter haha.

So true. The possibilities are endless at this point. We will wait and see with the newsletter! :)

Can't wait! :-D

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Here's a quick & simple video by the people at NextGen that did a prompt video of the NGCD in just over a minute.

From the discription,

"The Neo Geo CD was a great idea to try and get more middle class gamers into Neo Geo but it was ultimately doomed by poor loading times from an under performing processor."

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

This morning, were back with Leftover Culture Review with a fantastic video regarding Sengoku 1 & 2 for the NGCD. The kind sir does excellent videos for gaming. This one is is no different in the quality that the channel has to offer to the gaming public.

More from the description,

"LOCR Producer: We love beat 'em ups here at the LOCR, and we really wanted to do something special for Sengoku on the Neo Geo CD. Developed by SNK not long after Burning Fight, Sengoku has a special charm compared to its rival beat 'em ups of the era. SNK and the Neo Geo weren't really well known for their ground-breaking beat 'em ups, and Sengoku won't change your mind on that.

In the end, we decided to tackle both Sengoku 1 and 2 together, just because both games are incredibly similar and exist in the same universe. There was a Sengoku 3 for the Neo Geo AES and MVS, as well as a more recent PC port, but this game was developed by an entirely separate team, Noise Factory, and released in 2001, a decade after both Sengoku and Sengoku 2."

Anthony...

Got me a 4-slot Neo-Geo system today complete with a 25" monitor.

Needs power supply...no problem!

Got about 10 games I want to play!

Hi SoundGammon,

Thank you for participating on the Neo-Geo thread. I hope you enjoy yourself with all of us and be interested on posting/replying to the many comments that we have here with us fellow members! :)

That's a great looking 4 slot Neo-Geo MVS big red unit that you acquired. Happy that you're sharing us your picture with the new purchase. We would love to see more in the future with it in action with the 10 games that will be played on your cabinet .

Congratulations and will be certainly be glad to see more in the immediate future with you playing on it! :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi SoundGammon,

Thank you for participating on the Neo-Geo thread. I hope you enjoy yourself with all of us and be interested on posting/replying to the many comments that we have here with us fellow members! :)

That's a great looking 4 slot Neo-Geo MVS big red unit that you acquired. Happy that you're sharing us your picture with the new purchase. We would love to see more in the future with it in action with the 10 games that will be played on your cabinet .

Congratulations and will be certainly be glad to see more in the immediate future with you playing on it! :)

Anthony...

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll be updating more info as soon as I get it working!

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll be updating more info as soon as I get it working!

Rob

You're welcome Rob.

Thank you for dropping by. We look forward on your upcoming pictures/videos on your MVS unit. If you ever like to delve back to the many fascinating pages here on the Neo-Geo thread for references to the MVS and its titles, please feel free to do so. Its for the convenience to you, and to all. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi guys,

This evening, were back with the "Neo-Geo Fanatic" with his interesting videos. In this particular upload, he will be listening to the KOF-R2 for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. He will then express his personal views towards the music and you can comment on what you think on his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDD4H4JUcTc

Anthony...