IGNORED

Memo Pad - Release 5

joyfulcoder

Hello,

I want to let everyone know that Memo Pad Release 5 is ready for

downloading.

New in Release 5 is:

- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when scrolling or resizing the

window after converting the end-of-line.

- Added support for the Atari 8-Bit International and Arabic fonts and

the Atari ST color (low/med res) and monochrome (high res) fonts.

- Added support for reading tokenized Atari BASIC files. These files

are parsed and converted to ATASCII text files.

- Added "Open as" option to the Open file dialog. Files can be opened

as Text, Binary, and Atari BASIC. The "Open as" choice is saved and

used by the "Open Recent" menu item.

The URL is http://joyfulcoder.com/memopad/

Thanks,

Eric

• Like 3

This is really a great tool, I tested it with Atari BASIC files. Viewing original Atari listings, with font type and size changes among other things, make it amazingly good tool for daily use. Thank you Eric.

Edited by Gury

Cool program!

My suggestions are this:

1. Give it a one character space on the left border.

2. Copy & paste functionality would be VERY useful, especially if you could come up with a way to paste into Atari800Win, say, through a virtual RS-232 port or something along those lines.

Thanks for all of your hard work!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eric!

After using Memo Pad for a while, I've taken note of some further options that would be great to have in MP. These include:

- The ability to write the contents of a Memo Pad screen to an existing .atr file would be very useful.

- Smart de-tokenization of Atari BASIC files (drag & drop .BAS right into Memo Pad) would be cool, (& de-tokenize a .BAS file from a web location menu option) especially if combined with the above save ability, allowing Antic Magazine listings with .BAS extensions to be automatically displayed in Memo Pad as a program listing, while having the option to save the tokenized .BAS or de-tokenized .LST file as a file in a .atr file. I know that there is a perl script out there that does this, so it wouldn't be a huge effort to incorporate the routine.

- If you can do this, then there is no reason why Memo Pad could not be expanded into an editor, that would allow editing the text, instead of just viewing the text. Also, It would be nice to be able to use the mouse to position the editing cursor, when editing ATARI BASIC files. This would be cool, too, because it would eliminate the 40 column limitation of the Atari BASIC editor.

- It seems to me that a new handler for ATARI DOS could be developed to access the PC's Clipboard as a device somehow (from within the emulator as a type of device driver). I'll be experimenting with this to try to get it to work, because it really is aggravating not being able to copy & paste to Atari800Win.

Thanks again for a cool piece of software,

UNIXcoffee928

• Like 1

Hi Eric!

After using Memo Pad for a while, I've taken note of some further options that would be great to have in MP. These include:

- The ability to write the contents of a Memo Pad screen to an existing .atr file would be very useful.

- Smart de-tokenization of Atari BASIC files (drag & drop .BAS right into Memo Pad) would be cool, (& de-tokenize a .BAS file from a web location menu option) especially if combined with the above save ability, allowing Antic Magazine listings with .BAS extensions to be automatically displayed in Memo Pad as a program listing, while having the option to save the tokenized .BAS or de-tokenized .LST file as a file in a .atr file. I know that there is a perl script out there that does this, so it wouldn't be a huge effort to incorporate the routine.

- If you can do this, then there is no reason why Memo Pad could not be expanded into an editor, that would allow editing the text, instead of just viewing the text. Also, It would be nice to be able to use the mouse to position the editing cursor, when editing ATARI BASIC files. This would be cool, too, because it would eliminate the 40 column limitation of the Atari BASIC editor.

- It seems to me that a new handler for ATARI DOS could be developed to access the PC's Clipboard as a device somehow (from within the emulator as a type of device driver). I'll be experimenting with this to try to get it to work, because it really is aggravating not being able to copy & paste to Atari800Win.

Thanks again for a cool piece of software,

UNIXcoffee928

Hello,

Thank you for the suggestions. It has always been and still is my goal to make Memo Pad into an editor.

Yes, having read/write support for disk images will be a great addition. I have started coding for this but more time is needed.

I have also been thinking about drag-n-drop for BASIC files. Starting with Memo Pad R5 it does remember what you open each file as but I want a more general way of telling Memo Pad to open all *.BAS as BASIC, and *.BIN as Binary View, and *.TXT as Text View, etc. This would then solve the drag-n-drop problem.

Release 6 will be out after I finish up Turbo BASIC support. It will not contain the above features but I do agree with you that they are very useful features and will try to have them in a future release.

Thanks again for the kind words and suggestions,

Eric

• Like 2

• 7 years later...

New Memo Pad Release "12" By joyfulcoder

Built: Oct 12 2015, 22:01:08
- Added "OSS MAC/65" to Import menu. This needs more testing!
- On File menu, moved Close to after Save As.
- Fixed a refresh problem when selection is cleared.
- Started to support mouse selection: Left click to move caret.
Shift left click to select. No dragging but it's coming.
post-37046-0-23354100-1444760185_thumb.png
Thank you Eric
madi
  • Like 7

I adore this program. I tried it to load Atari BASIC, Turbo BASIC and other ATASCII files (f.e. Action! listings) with no problem. I like its feature to show listings with ATASCII characters as they look on real Atari. This program allows me to quickly develop programs in Action!, so making it as fast for development as with cross-development tools in the following way:

1.) Load Action! file with File/Open in MemoPad

2.) In emulator (Altirra, Atari800...) run Action! cartridge

3.) In Action!:

- Shift + Control + M (to go to command line)

- type R "H2:READGR3.ACT" (any Action! listing you want to edit)

H2 is host device set on my local disk, which you can quickly set in Altirra emulator. Just be sure your listing is on local path set for you device of choice.

And voila... No need for additional editing of listing in Action! Just edit it in MemoPad, save it on every change and in Action! run command R followed by file you are editing.

Great tool!!!

Edited by Gury

Yet another update by joyfulcoder

Release 13
Build: Oct 15 2015, 23:22:32

- Select text with mouse.
- Improved import code to better handle corrupt files.
Instead of discarding everything when an error occurs,
now everything up to the error will be kept.
- Warn users when they import a file, make changes, and choose Save instead
of Save As. This is to make sure they don't overwrite the original
imported file with a text file by mistake.
- More code cleaning in preparation for Mac version.

http://joyfulcoder.com/memopad/

Several updates within 10 days or so. Looks as if things are accelerating. Very nice..

madi

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Memo Pad Release 14 (November 2, 2015) is out ..

Build: Nov 2 2015, 22:18:51

- Drag-n-Drop an Import file type will now Import instead of Open.

- Added Import Recent menu to avoid mixing imports and opens on one menu.

- File Type View preferences for choosing which file types will Open in

Text view and which file types will Open in Binary view.

- More improvements to Basic import error checking.

- Switched from Code Blocks and MinGW to Visual Studio Express 2015.

madi

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

MAC/65 support has some quirks I noticed while using it to view SYNTRON.M65 from Analog Computing issue 33.

1. Labels longer than 3 characters aren't separated from the operator field by whitespace. e.g. GAMELDX #19
  2. Opcodes with no operand have trailing whitespace, e.g. RTS
  3. Number type 8 is printed using a %04x format instead of a %d format, e.g. STA SCRN+0100,Y
  4. Whitespace after the label and opcode should be tabs, not spaces.

MAC/65 support has some quirks I noticed while using it to view SYNTRON.M65 from Analog Computing issue 33.

1. Labels longer than 3 characters aren't separated from the operator field by whitespace. e.g. GAMELDX #19
  2. Opcodes with no operand have trailing whitespace, e.g. RTS
  3. Number type 8 is printed using a %04x format instead of a %d format, e.g. STA SCRN+0100,Y
  4. Whitespace after the label and opcode should be tabs, not spaces.

Thank you for reporting these issues. Can you email me the SYNTRON.M65 file (here at AtariAge or my web site) or point me to where I can download it? It will help me to see the issues and to fix them.

• 4 weeks later...

Memo Pad for Windows Release 18 and Memo Pad for Mac OS X Release 1 are ready for downloading.

Note: As with the early Windows releases, the first Mac release does not support editing. I have a few more things to work out.

What are the intended target versions of Mac OS X? I'm attempting to run this on a 1.83GHz Core Duo on OS X 10.6.8, and it's a no go.

• 1 month later...

Memo Pad for Windows Release 18 and Memo Pad for Mac OS X Release 1 are ready for downloading.

Note: As with the early Windows releases, the first Mac release does not support editing. I have a few more things to work out.

Nice and very useful program :)

I'd really like to use this under Wine in Linux Mint 17.3, but I keep running into a problem with it not finding the fonts. I have both the program and the font file in the Wine /home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:Program Files (x86) (or in other words the Windows Program File Directory). Anybody have a hint as to how to get Memo Pad to find the font file under the Wine environment?

- Michael

• 11 months later...
I'd really like to use this under Wine in Linux Mint 17.3, but I keep running into a problem with it not finding the fonts. I have both the program and the font file in the Wine /home/user/.wine/dosdevices/c:Program Files (x86) (or in other words the Windows Program File Directory). Anybody have a hint as to how to get Memo Pad to find the font file under the Wine environment?

It has been a year but if still interested, release 19 fixes this problem. I've tested under Wine 2.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.

I recently encountered a problem with Memo Pad. When I open it, there is no window. It appears on my taskbar, but clicking on its entry does nothing. If I hover over it, the preview appears like this:

post-6369-0-71193100-1493130111_thumb.png

I'm not convinced it's a problem with Memo Pad; it could be a system problem (maybe registry). Memo Pad is the only application I'm experiencing this problem with. Do you have any thoughts on what might be causing it to act like this?

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

• Like 1

It has been a year but if still interested, release 19 fixes this problem. I've tested under Wine 2.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.

Yes I'm still interested, and thank you for the update. I'll go get it and give it a try.

- Michael