IGNORED

Lynx LCD Replacement/VGA-Out by McWill

Jungsi

Last night I downloaded a load of sms and GG homebrews from sms power website to play on my modified mcwill GG through my GG everdrive. The sms ones work perfectly but the few GG ones don't, they're either frozen or the colour is right out. Regular GG roms are ok on the everdrive with the mcwill mod. Any ideas?

Some GG Roms are running in SMS mode, "Prince of Persia" for example. Then you have to rename the ending from ***.GG to ***.SMS

Mcwill, will your planned nomad mod cure my delayed illumination? See here..

I think, the CF lamp is defective / end of its life. My NOMAD mod will solve this problem, because then you have a new LCD with LED backlight ;)

But I have to do some more tests with the NOMAD, before it is ready for sale.

• Like 2

Some GG Roms are running in SMS mode, "Prince of Persia" for example. Then you have to rename the ending from ***.GG to ***.SMS

I think, the CF lamp is defective / end of its life. My NOMAD mod will solve this problem, because then you have a new LCD with LED backlight ;)

But I have to do some more tests with the NOMAD, before it is ready for sale.

I already tried changing .GG to .SMS and it made no difference for the GG homebrews.

Ah, fabulous, it looks like the new Nomad mod will be the perfect solution :)

Thank you.

Maybe you got bad roms? Try downloading from a different source.

FYI these games are GG games but uses SMS graphic mode and will glitch out on Everdrive if you run them with GG extension. Change them to have SMS instead.

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (USA, Europe)
Chase H.Q. (Japan)
Excellent Dizzy Collection, The (Europe)
Fantastic Dizzy (Europe)
Olympic Gold (Europe)
Out Run Europa (USA, Europe)
Predator 2 (USA, Europe)
Prince of Persia (USA, Europe)
R.C. Grand Prix (USA, Europe)
Rastan Saga (Japan)
Super Kick Off (Japan)
WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge (Europe)

Maybe you got bad roms? Try downloading from a different source.

FYI these games are GG games but uses SMS graphic mode and will glitch out on Everdrive if you run them with GG extension. Change them to have SMS instead.

Also worth noting that one or two games don't work with the Everdrive - Gunstar Heroes is one of them.

I've installed the Geam Gear mod, and it is much better than before!

The shipping was uber fast, and Mc Will provided all needed info. It wasn't very difficult to instal as well.

All in all it was expensive (considering I got the GG for free at the local dump) but now that I've capkitted it and that it has an LCD screen, it has become a super GG !

now I need to lay my hands on a Lynx to do the same ^^

And please Mc Will, provide us a kit for Neo Geo Pocket Color as well! :)

ps: Looking for a boxed Jaguar if anyone has one to sell

Edited by nihonmasa
  • Like 1

I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate McWill and all he has done for me and the retro gaming world. He's always there to help. And since August, he's been there trying to help me fix my Game Gear. Eventually it took a trip to Germany for some McWill surgery. It arrived today and it's working flawlessly! Vielen Dank McWill ! Du bist der Beste!

I used my Everdrive to test a bunch of games and the resolution is clear, sharp and bright. SMS games look and play great. The scan line option is interesting but not something I'd use. The VGA is surprisingly awesome even on a 37" HDtv!

post-41713-0-98583300-1448497738_thumb.jpeg

post-41713-0-04618100-1448498110_thumb.jpeg

SMS Game

post-41713-0-68896700-1448498202_thumb.jpeg

VGA

All in all, pure Awesomeness! Like others have said, the gg mod is a lot harder than the Lynx mod. Think about that before you dive into this.

• Like 2

Did you know on LCD, there's a few modes beside solid and scan lines? The default mode is full screen but the screen can shrink to get better square pixel for those puritans who don't like slightly stretched and uneven pixelation.

Is this true for the Lynx version too (assuming you have the newer firmware with the scan lines).

Hi after putting a new lcd on my lynx I , I ve decided to upgraded my lynx II as well.
My lynx worked great beafore end then I unsolded the différent part (just for screen not for VGA out) , want to check the 5V as is recommended and 0V !! bouhh :(
however I think my unsold was clean you can see on the pics.
Is anyone has had same issue?
Everything seems to be ok except 5V.

I measure the voltage on the Mofset Q12 : around 11V like the DC power supply...

• 2 weeks later...

Fitting this mod was like the before and after of the Hubble telescope repair, it has gone from dim and blurry to blazingly clear. The instructions were a bit confusing (like "fit a wire, a second wire, then a second wire" to paraphrase) but after reading three times and making some guesses as to what McWill really meant finally led to success.post-40446-0-02402300-1450247216_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

Lynx Reloaded. Brings some nice memories. We actually competed with Sage in some programming event. Sage wrote pong4 and I wrote Ottelo. Both turned up in this cart.

Later when I played it I found some serious bugs that let you cheat in the game. But that is another story.