IGNORED

Carol vs. The World 2015 Championship

DZ-Jay

SiLic0ne t0aD85 - High Score = 1043

I got the earlier levels about mastered, a few perfects levels 1 through 5.. however, I still need a ton of practice.. especially on those later levels 5 through 10. Using my custom SuperVideoArcade Controller and also kickin' it old school! Well.. at least with a 2609 bottom and a Sears top. I hope this counts. ;)

post-37932-0-99646700-1449031529_thumb.jpgpost-37932-0-96491400-1449031661_thumb.jpg

Anyways that's my first go at it.. I'm very stoked to be in this contest! :-)

post-37932-0-27560200-1449031704_thumb.jpgpost-37932-0-76584400-1449031765_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Had a significant improvement today.

saved_zpsn5gz470y.png

1389_zpsrnf7v5ln.png

Went for levels instead of points, as suggested... I was able to save Christmas AND get a 1K+ score! Feels good... I'm going to mark this date on my calendar. ;)

wow! I dont think i improved anywhere near that fast. Keep this up and i'll start looking like a chump. :lol:
  • Like 1

I got the earlier levels about mastered, a few perfects levels 1 through 5.. however, I still need a ton of practice.. especially on those later levels 5 through 10. Using my custom SuperVideoArcade Controller and also kickin' it old school! Well.. at least with a 2609 bottom and a Sears top. I hope this counts. ;)

20151201_233642-1.jpg 20151201_224651.jpg

20151201_233027.jpg 20151201_225657.jpg

nice score!
  • Like 2

Played another round just a moment ago and didn't do quite as well... In the 900s.

I think I am starting to get a feel for how the snowman reacts to Carol under certain circumstances... That is key I believe. The ghost is still a bit enigmatic to me... Particularly in how to determine if it is hunting or wandering... I havent seen any clear visual clues other than speed and angles.

More to come. I need a USB controller though. Arrow keys are horrible.

• Like 3

Update: The advice payed off with a personal best of 1,762 on Level 21, I finally saved Christmas, earning the rank of Helper!

It's about time! Farthest I've ever made it.. I think I got lucky but then again minding the tips & tricks given and learning to manipulate the enemy AI is key. :)

post-37932-0-97992200-1449043053_thumb.jpgpost-37932-0-22821000-1449043144_thumb.jpgpost-37932-0-30045000-1449043093_thumb.jpg

This will be my score for today since I'm trying to get the The Twelve Days Of Christmas and also The Twenty-Four Days Of Christmas Carol achievements. Whew, now time for a little Piggys before I goto bed! :-)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85
  • Like 4

Make sure I understand the rules. As a Veteran I can win a mug, magnet, and/or patch but I'm ranked against other Veterans and I have to exceed my best rank from all previous years?

That's right! It's actually an honour that Santa Claus is bestowing upon all Veterans: you have been nominated the Elite Knight Elves, saviours of Christmas past. :)

I have to check the rules, but I think Veterans are also eligible for the Grand Prize (except, of course, those who have won it before). This may have been an omission. I'll confirm.

So... where's your score?

attachicon.gif20151201_233642-1.jpgattachicon.gif20151201_224651.jpg

attachicon.gif20151201_233027.jpgattachicon.gif20151201_225657.jpg

Great score! Now, have you actually tried playing the game with the disc controller? Trust me, I find it superior than a gated stick, especially for zig-zagging and fast cornering. The game was specifically designed for this -- it's not really just a 4-way decoding for 16 directions, but a special heuristics algorithm to support rolling your thumb around naturally and provide smooth control.

I hope you at least everyone here gives it a chance and plays Carol as it was intended, really old-school. :)

Had a significant improvement today.

saved_zpsn5gz470y.png

1389_zpsrnf7v5ln.png

Went for levels instead of points, as suggested... I was able to save Christmas AND get a 1K+ score! Feels good... I'm going to mark this date on my calendar. ;)

There you go! Didn't we tell you? You just have to figure out a bit of the game-play and then you can get very far rather quickly.

Also, did you read the instruction manual? There's a Practice Mode where you get to practice all levels except the boss.

Played another round just a moment ago and didn't do quite as well... In the 900s.

I think I am starting to get a feel for how the snowman reacts to Carol under certain circumstances... That is key I believe. The ghost is still a bit enigmatic to me... Particularly in how to determine if it is hunting or wandering... I havent seen any clear visual clues other than speed and angles.

More to come. I need a USB controller though. Arrow keys are horrible.

Actually, the enemy behaviour is rather simple -- embarrassingly simple. ;) There are some hints about the behaviour of the Ghost scattered around in the manual as well as in the tips & tricks threads that have been posted.

Fun Fact: It is utterly fascinating to me that such simple rules programmed into the enemies result in such fantastic emergent behaviour that they look as if they were actually complex characters with many states. This is something I always admired from Pac-Man, where the most slight alterations to a basic rule appears to endow a Ghost with a distinct personality; and I am so very surprised and excited that I managed to produce complex-looking behaviour like that with my own set of basic rules.

Update: The advice payed off with a personal best of 1,762 on Level 21, I finally saved Christmas, earning the rank of Helper!

It's about time! Farthest I've ever made it.. I think I got lucky but then again minding the tips & tricks given and learning to manipulate the enemy AI is key. :)

attachicon.gif20151202_024509.jpgattachicon.gif20151202_023947.jpgattachicon.gif20151202_023955.jpg

This will be my score for today since I'm trying to get the The Twelve Days Of Christmas and also The Twenty-Four Days Of Christmas Carol achievements. Whew, now time for a little Piggys before I goto bed! :-)

That's a great score! This is all fantastic progress. I hope this proves to anybody joining in new that in a mere two days you can go from a couple of hundred points to over a thousand by just practicing a bit and minding the tips & tricks. :)

Congratulations to all players who have posted scores so far, an especially to Ospry and SiLic0ne for such fantastic progress! Keep it up!

I am updating the leaderboard behind the scenes. I shall post the first board by the end of the week.

-dZ.

• Like 2

That's right! It's actually an honour that Santa Claus is bestowing upon all Veterans: you have been nominated the Elite Knight Elves, saviours of Christmas past. :)

I have to check the rules, but I think Veterans are also eligible for the Grand Prize (except, of course, those who have won it before). This may have been an omission. I'll confirm.

I have conferred with the other judges and we have all agreed that Veterans are indeed eligible for the Grand Prize. Like I said, that ambiguity was caused by a slight an omission in the rules. That said, any veterans who have won the Grand Prize before are not eligible, but they are welcome to try to break the World Record and win the trophy! :)

That means that it's a free-for-all for the custom-designed arcade marquee!

post-27318-0-85789900-1449053751.gif

I've updated the rules and FAQ pages accordingly.

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 1

Played this on my RGB modded Intellivision, 52 inch LCD. Wow what a difference! not as good as my first score the controllers on this intelly are a bit worn out.

last year i played on my 50". This year im playing on a much smaller screen. The reason im doing it is cause i think its easier to see the whole screen and keep track of the ghost and the snowman this way. If you sit far enough back you should be fine though. I sat like four feet from my tv last year. Edited by pimpmaul69
  • Like 1

last year i played on my 50". This year im playing on a much smaller screen. The reason im doing it is cause i think its easier to see the whole screen and keep track of the ghost and the snowman this way. If you sit far enough back you should be fine though. I sat like four feet from my tv last year.

I`m about 6 to 7 feet back, my first score this yr were on a 13 inch samsung gx. I`ll have different scores pics depending if I`m playing in the basement gameroom or upstairs gameroom.

• Like 1