IGNORED

ATR Tools

AtariGeezer

I am not frustrated at AtariGeezer at all. just explained my setup to him. I would rather spend my time with opensource software that can be made to run anywhere. I even compile and run atari800 here on os2.

My Apologies then but "great! another windows only atr program" with the exclamation mark and "I prefer to run os2. I dont do windows. only linux is the server and it is ONLY a server, no other apps" together seems like you were a bit miffed :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a Work-In-Progress program that runs on Windows.

It allows you to do many things with ATR, XFD and PRO images...

http://www.fiftyonef...i/AtrTools.html

Jay

New update at the homepage:

Now lets you import/add files greater than 32k to DOS 2.0 & 2.5 images, also added a disassembler for compiled programs :)

The Atari.fon font file is now included in the installer and now uses the registry instead of an .ini file...

Jay

Page updated with new

Preferred method of update? Does your new installer overwrite the old, or best to use the Win "Remove Programs" then install the new version?

Small suggestion -- would be nice to have a version number prominent in the GUI so we can keep track of what we are using/updating.

Thanks,

Larry

Preferred method of update? Does your new installer overwrite the old, or best to use the Win "Remove Programs" then install the new version?

Small suggestion -- would be nice to have a version number prominent in the GUI so we can keep track of what we are using/updating.

Thanks,

Larry

For this update, you can uninstall ver 1.0.0, then install 1.0.1, also if anyone already has 1.0.0 installed and has the Atari.fon in that install folder, then the updated exe can just be copied over the old...

I'll add an About dialog in the next update :)

Thanks,

Jay

• 3 years later...

This is how the new ATR Search feature looks and an example of the CSV file that is created.

I still need to add a recursive directory search for MyDOS and Sparta ATR's and finish a few things, then I'll release this Win32 version :)

It now supports DOS 1.0, DOS 3.0, DOS 4.0 and OSS OS/A+ 4.0...

Jay

post-26874-0-14140000-1428230776_thumb.jpg

AtrSearchResult.zip

• Like 2

Hi Jay-

I think I lost your original files when I had a crash and had to go back to an older XP backup image.

The current downloadable (.EXE) won't run giving an error 339 (not registered). The other links are "Not Found." Could you please put up the parts to make it runnable again?

Thanks,

Larry

• 7 months later...

What's the difference between one built with Visual BASIC and a "Win32" version? I though VB compiled to Win32 programs?

Visual Basic 6.0 compiles into native code that requires a runtime interpreter with additional libraries, whereas the Win32 version only uses the common core windows libraries and is compiled from C++ sources.

VB6 = 2.5 megs and runs slow, Win32 = 220k runs faster...

• Like 2

Visual Basic 6.0 compiles into native code that requires a runtime interpreter with additional libraries, whereas the Win32 version only uses the common core windows libraries and is compiled from C++ sources.

VB6 = 2.5 megs and runs slow, Win32 = 220k runs faster...

I understand part of what you stated there. The way you describe VB 6.0 sounds a lot like how Python is handled. By "common core Windows libraries" I assume you mean standard .DLLs that are included with the OS installation. That makes sense, but why would VB 6.0 not be able to bind calls to those same .DLLs? Or is it just a matter of "they just didn't do it that way" or something? What exactly is compiled from C++ sources? I'm going to guess that you mean the common core libraries again, but if so, it really wouldn't matter that much what the source was as much as the fact that it's machine code now. I mean, a .DLL could have been assembled or compiled C, or C++.

I understand part of what you stated there. The way you describe VB 6.0 sounds a lot like how Python is handled. By "common core Windows libraries" I assume you mean standard .DLLs that are included with the OS installation. That makes sense, but why would VB 6.0 not be able to bind calls to those same .DLLs? Or is it just a matter of "they just didn't do it that way" or something? What exactly is compiled from C++ sources? I'm going to guess that you mean the common core libraries again, but if so, it really wouldn't matter that much what the source was as much as the fact that it's machine code now. I mean, a .DLL could have been assembled or compiled C, or C++.

Yes, "common core Windows libraries" are standard .DLL's that are included with every OS installation.

VB uses those common DLL's too, but the GUI objects like Forms, Buttons, Sliders, Labels, TextBoxes, ListViews, Tab Controls, etc. are Custom Controls that Encapsulate events that are triggered when you click something on those controls or move the mouse over them. Adding / Changing text or setting variables of these are straight forward like what you would expect a "BASIC" language would have. Each of these controls makes use of those common DLL's too and requires more memory to use.

I converted the Basic code to C++, the C++ Source Code now compiles closer to machine code and doesn't require an interpreter which saves lots of memory and cpu usage. DLL's can also be compiled from VB too, but the VB one would be bigger in size and use more memory than the C++ counterpart...

Thanks for the explanation Atari Geezer. I of course have to agree that the compiled C++ is better, but with today's (or even yesterday's when the original program came out) copious amounts of memory and CPU power, it's not like a VB version is a problem. So either way you bake it, thanks for the tool.

• Like 1

Thank you Atarigeezer for the good program.

I only was able to partially test the program (mainly, Scan Atari Files option).

Testing : Search folders (ANALOG folder in Pooldisk_Too_CD1)
If "Start Search" button is pressed again after completion of the search, only ATR File details are displayed. "Location", "File Name", "Sectors" and "Bytes info" are lost (blanck)
Also, when pressing "Start Search" button again, the ATR counter at the top of the left corner of the Search result windows changes from (052/0796) 89_SEP.ATR which is the result of the first button pressing and becomes (105/1606) 89_SEP.ATR. The more the button is pressed the higher the number will go.
The counter give 052 as the number of ATR images. But the actual numbers are 053 ATR images in ANALOG subdirectory. Similarly, the search returns 10 ATR images in ANG subdirectory, but the actual is 11 ATR images. In other words, the count is always one less than the actual. Does the count start from zero?).
There is a bug when searching the main CD folder (Pooldisk_Too_CD1). It always terminate at ATR image #234 of the ABBUC subfolder. Even though searching is always successful when ABBUC subfolder is being searched alone. The ATR image 173_B.ATR opens normally with Altirra without an issue.
post-37046-0-21170300-1449169714_thumb.png
madi

Another look at ATR Tools:

In all binary displays, the end of line character ($9B) is substituted with inverse point character ($AE).

The ATASCII characters especially graphical ones look distorted due to use of single width double height character set (Narrow).

When requesting to view a listed (Basic) file "View File As", ATR Tools returns error message ( ISN'T A BASIC FILE...). Actually it is a basic. Any way, the same file can be displayed normally when "VIew File" option is selected. Just a point view.

I suggest that editing should be possible only via the ASCII side (numbers) in the "Data Sectors" window. Character change in the binary side should be prevented as not all ATASCII characters are available to be inserted. Yes, changes can be ignored by choosing another sector and returning back, but all changes will be lost. No Undo function for the rescue.

Great work AtariGeezer . The more I test the program, the more I appreciate its potentials. Please keep up the excellent efforts.

madi

Edited by Madi

In all binary displays, the end of line character ($9B) is substituted with inverse point character ($AE).

madi

Really?, thought I corrected the font, I'll take another look. I don't see that, I'm seeing the Inverse Escape as it should be. Are you testing the Basic version or Win32?

The ATASCII characters especially graphical ones look distorted due to use of single width double height character set (Narrow).

They look fine to me running on Win95 or WinXP.

When requesting to view a listed (Basic) file "View File As", ATR Tools returns error message ( ISN'T A BASIC FILE...). Actually it is a basic. Any way, the same file can be displayed normally when "VIew File" option is selected. Just a point view.

Can you post that Basic File or ATR? I've seen a few Basic files with a messed up VTOC.

I suggest that editing should be possible only via the ASCII side (numbers) in the "Data Sectors" window. Character change in the binary side should be prevented as not all ATASCII characters are available to be inserted. Yes, changes can be ignored by choosing another sector and returning back, but all changes will be lost. No Undo function for the rescue.

I'll have to disagree there as far as editing ONLY the ASCII / HEX View side. Yes, not all ATASCII characters are available on a PC, but you can add text in the ATASCII view, then add $80 in the HEX View to make them inverse...

Jay

Really?, thought I corrected the font, I'll take another look. I don't see that, I'm seeing the Inverse Escape as it should be. Are you testing the Basic version or Win32?

I used the file (WIN32 version) .. I think from post #36 (ZIP file).

post-37046-0-72253200-1449262757_thumb.png

They look fine to me running on Win95 or WinXP.

The graphic characters look narrow under WINDOWS 10 x64
The following picture show the character display difference between (Diskey) and ATR Tools for the same sector of the TOPSHELF.LST file.
post-37046-0-40176600-1449263182_thumb.png

The ATR image is attached for reference.

Note: Why does ATR Tool save a copy of "atari.fon" and "Detoken.Lst" (of the tokenized basic) files in the working directory?

Edit: I just downloaded and installed the Basic version (AtrTools101Inst.zip). Same thing. $9B character is displayed as $AE

madi

DOS 2.5 -A.atr

Edited by Madi

I used the file (WIN32 version) .. I think from post #36 (ZIP file).

Edit: I just downloaded and installed the Basic version (AtrTools101Inst.zip). Same thing. $9B character is displayed as $AE

madi

The Basic version doesn't have the updated font, the Win32 version does.

Delete the font file and try running again.

This is what I see on XP and 95:

post-26874-0-89117800-1449266148_thumb.png

post-26874-0-40489400-1449266164_thumb.png

I deleted the FON file, but when I start the program the fon file is generated again by ATR Tools. The FON file can not be deleted while the program is running.

(File In use) message,

I tried several times with same results.

I will run it under WIN XP 32 and post the results shortly.

madi

Really Strange.

I started the ATRTools.exe file under windows XP 32. It loads but never run.

I could see it in "Windows Task Manager".

The program generates atari.fon in the directory where it reside whenever it is loaded.

Those fon files can not be deleted even when ATR Tools is terminated and even after reboot.

The message shown: Cannot delete atari: Acess is denied. etc.

madi