IGNORED

Lynx Multi Cart

SainT

Yes, I'm going to have a play around with an indent. The problem is when printing something like this, if you add an indent it gets printed with support material underneath which has to be removed, and the resulting finish is fairly crap. If its a series of small ridged indents or something that might work ok without support material.... will be interesting to have a play. I'm enjoying the whole product design aspect. ;)

Don't make grooves that goes into material, make ridges. Ridges would work the same as indent but won't need to cut into material and risk weakening the underlying support. It will need a bit more plastic but a little more plastic is better than trying to make grooves that breaks apart like cheap cookies.

Yes, I'm going to have a play around with an indent. The problem is when printing something like this, if you add an indent it gets printed with support material underneath which has to be removed, and the resulting finish is fairly crap. If its a series of small ridged indents or something that might work ok without support material.... will be interesting to have a play. I'm enjoying the whole product design aspect. ;)

What about if you flip the print... so that the flat part is on the build plate. That way it shouldn't need to print supports on the "indented" section.

Are you happy to share the stl file? Maybe I can try a few prints here (I have two different machines).

It has to be printed flat side on the build plate otherwise I'd have to remove support material from the inside of the shell. As such, you can't print ridges as you'd need support marterial across the whole face because of the ridges. The only option is to increase the thickness of the top of the shell slightly and cut grooves into this. I'm going to see if I can have a go tonight... should be alright! In the end it's no big deal, it's not difficult to remove as it stands.

On 12/6/2015 at 1:00 AM, billysastard said:

i know this may sound stupid but couldn't you do some kind of half shell for the lynx 1 just enough cover at the top of the cart to prevent people using the compoments as ridges to aid removal, i know its a massive pain to get out on my current lynx flashcart without using the caps as a grip.

The issue with the Lynx 1 is there are slots up each side which the cart fits into, so the edges of the cart cannot exceed about 2.6mm on the cart edges. The board is so dense I have components right up to the edges, so I!m just out of space I'm afraid. It shouldn't be a bit deal though as people have said before -- stick the cart in with every game ever made for the Lynx on the memory card and just leave the flap closed. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

The issue with the Lynx 1 is there are slots up each side which the cart fits into, so the edges of the cart cannot exceed about 2.6mm on the cart edges. The board is so dense I have components right up to the edges, so I!m just out of space I'm afraid. It shouldn't be a bit deal though as people have said before -- stick the cart in with every game ever made for the Lynx on the sd card and just leave the flap closed. :)

i was thinking of how my turbo everdrive shell fits it doesn't go over the side anywhere it just covers the half of the top side that clears the system, but i get what you are saying, my current lynx flashcard is juans great little 16 in 1 so from time to time that does need pulling to change whats on it.

Edited by billysastard

I experimented a while with cart prints. If you make the back-end of the cart in an angle you can print the cart standing up and carve the supports where you need them. Just remember to add a brim so the cart won't fall. I use a 7 degree slope at the back which makes the cart lean 7 degrees forward.

post-2099-0-82215200-1449420804_thumb.png

Edited by karri

Interesting. I've actually put supports down to the pcb inside the cart shell to give it extra rigidity when it's pressed to remove it (top shell is only 1.5mm thick). Not necessarily required, though and I like your idea there. It also means you can print the shim to increase the thickness of the board in one piece too without support, which is handy. However it does mean the finished face is free floating, which gives a pretty rough finish. I'm getting a really very nice finish with the top of the shell being printed on the bed and I'm not going to try anything clever like acetone vapour to smooth the prints (I'm using PLA also, so not even technically possible unless I swith to ABS).

All very interesting though. :)

Oh yeah have an idea for the final cost yet? Shell version for us with Lynx 2 and unshelled version for Lynx 1 (and Lynx 2 looking to save a couple dollars)?

Am tired of missing out cheap Double Dragon cart on eBay and those BIN are usually $100 and up. If I could get this I wouldn't need to keep a few less rare and still overly expensive Lynx carts. I think if I sell my boxed Desert Strike (with crappy Telegames photocopy manual) and boxed Super Off Road (ith nice official looking manual), it'd pay off this multi cart :D

I experimented a while with cart prints. If you make the back-end of the cart in an angle you can print the cart standing up and carve the supports where you need them. Just remember to add a brim so the cart won't fall. I use a 7 degree slope at the back which makes the cart lean 7 degrees forward.

attachicon.gifAngle.png

Just received one of your carts today - That plastic cart cover is awesome!!! Really great job! Thanks =)

• Like 1

Just received one of your carts today - That plastic cart cover is awesome!!! Really great job! Thanks =)

Thanks. The finish is actually quite good. You can also use find sand paper to smooth the outer side. No need for acetone.

Today I tried to use 0.1 mm instead of 0.06 mm and the result was actually better and faster.

Thanks. The finish is actually quite good. You can also use find sand paper to smooth the outer side. No need for acetone.

Today I tried to use 0.1 mm instead of 0.06 mm and the result was actually better and faster.

Yes - that's the first thing I did, got some really fine sand paper onto the Lynx logo - looks great =D Really nice design! What kind of 3D printer did you use for this?

True. When flashable cart came out for DSi and 3DS, Nintendo was actively fighting them since some dishonest user can use ripped ROM rather than buying games. Firmware updates kept breaking attempt to use flashable carts. I am sure in 10 years when no one is selling any carts anymore Nintendo won't be able to do anything about legacy hardware.

Haven't been around for a while... can somebody give me a short rundown of the state of affairs concerning this flashcard`? :)

It would seem it works great, SainT just needs to do his final board revision / orders and start selling them I think. Might be after XMAS I suspect! Fingers crossed he might start taking orders just after XMAS!

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 1

Nice to hear!

I really hope for some rejuvenation of the homebrew game scene on the Lynx, since so much has been announced but is stuck in development hell. The new hardware developments in form of the screen and the flashcard may motivate coders to get at it again. :)

Quak Quak and Karate World Tour have been so long overdue now.

Edited by 108 Stars
  • Like 2