IGNORED

Atari 8-bit related BBS(s)

svenski

low.blow,

Welcome back to BBS'ing in the year 2015! Telnet is keeping us alive with all the innovative mods for our Atari's. However, the good 'ol vintage boards some of us run are mainly on original equipment and virtually no assistance from a PC. At least my 8-Bit Guild BBS is running on Atari 130XE, 3 1050 drives, Atari 850, and Lanronix UDS-10 for telnet.

Retro computing in a modern world rocks!

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

Edited by Lord Cygnus
  • Like 1

Well, at this point, I think the Lantronix box is ok. I lost the broadband modem (actually, the AT&T guy told me that as of 2pm today, there were over 100 service calls related to the storm just in my area alone). They got that back up so I don't have to rely on the cell phone. ;) From the looks of things, it was a power surge, not a network surge. When I try to power up the Falcon, I get a power light and the Floppy/HD light lights for about 2 seconds and then goes off and I don't get any keyboard click noises and no signal to the monitor. (I know the monitor is ok, since I use PIP with my main PC monitor and it's working fine). I have another Falcon and Mega STE but it isn't here at this apartment (still back at my old place) so hopefully I can get that sorted out soon (and then remember how I set up my router since I had to do some funky stuff on this one that I didn't have to deal with using my previous routers).

That all said, the thing that really sucks is that everything has been really great and stable since I changed the port to 5983. :( Of course, it's the slow season so it's not like anyone was calling anyway. :P

Let us know when you get it back online! Don't give up on no-calls and slow-calls! I've had my boards up for 3 years now. It seems that the fall/winter months get busy each year. I know DarkLord has run his board for over a decade and seen it all!

;-)

-=[Lord Cygnus]=-

• 4 weeks later...

Well, at this point, I think the Lantronix box is ok. I lost the broadband modem (actually, the AT&T guy told me that as of 2pm today, there were over 100 service calls related to the storm just in my area alone). They got that back up so I don't have to rely on the cell phone. ;) From the looks of things, it was a power surge, not a network surge. When I try to power up the Falcon, I get a power light and the Floppy/HD light lights for about 2 seconds and then goes off and I don't get any keyboard click noises and no signal to the monitor. (I know the monitor is ok, since I use PIP with my main PC monitor and it's working fine). I have another Falcon and Mega STE but it isn't here at this apartment (still back at my old place) so hopefully I can get that sorted out soon (and then remember how I set up my router since I had to do some funky stuff on this one that I didn't have to deal with using my previous routers).

That all said, the thing that really sucks is that everything has been really great and stable since I changed the port to 5983. :( Of course, it's the slow season so it's not like anyone was calling anyway. :P

Wow, that really sucks. I was just trying to connect to SFHQ today after a long absence, and wondered what had happened.

Any hope since your last update?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello!
Folks, I am so very very close to getting my old BBS, The Bates Motel, back online. I have the R-Time 8 finally ( #44 ), I have the Black Box operating (80G IDE HD via an ACARD 720UW) and am hooked to the interwebs with a Lantronix UDS-1100. The 800XL is nicely expanded with a VBXE-XL operating in Rambo mode (so nice that operates that way!) and I have a wireless keyboard thanks to Steve Carden's KRH. All is operating well.

However, I need the final piece of the puzzle:

BBS Software!

I would very much like to have BBS Express Pro! since that is what I used to operate back in 90s, but that seems to be difficult to find (Unless one of you wants to sell me your copy?!?!?!?). I *believe* I was node 209 to match my area code, but am uncertain. HOWEVER, that leaves me where we started: I need BBS software.

Do you have any suggestions as to what to use? Where to buy? I woul dlike to get this started soon. We were blessed with twin girls in September and, as a result, projects take oh SO much longer than they used to. I thought having one child was tough, two at once is . . exponential!

Anyway, I have prattled on long enough, any suggestions, please let me know. I want to get a dedicated IP address for the BBS (which is kind of the updated version of getting a second phone line, I suppose!), so the faster I can test it, the sooner I can start that process.

Thanks!

Here is some added info for kicks:

An advert from "Computer Shopper":

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-12320404.html

Stockton 463-5842. The Bates Motel BBS with sysop Marlin "Norman" Bates. 1 line operating on a Atari 130XE with 50Mb running BBS Express Pro 3.1c with Multitech at up to 2,400 bps. Established 05/90; no fee. International Netmail messages for all Atari & non-Atari computers. Files for Atari 800/XL/XE/ST/STe/TT/Mega! Come on and check into the motel! We'll start the showers running!
Pictures of my setups:

post-16779-0-91489200-1450930452_thumb.jpg

post-16779-0-63919300-1450930492_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Its been a while, but what happened to your copy of BBS Express Pro? sold, lost, bad disk?

Anyway, good luck, it would be nice to see another BBS resurrected.

I am *pretty sure* it was lost in a move. There was this time I moved to Pennsylvania and back . . .. I have a vague memory of thinking "I will hold on to this in case ever want to run the BBS again," but sold the rest of my stuff. But, it could have been sold. 20+ years does something to the memory.

Thanks, I am hopeful I can bring it back. I have plenty of storage for files!

• 2 weeks later...

So just an update on SFHQ. I finally got around to getting the TT I bought last year up and running and I got the BBS running on that until I get the MegaSTE out of storage (even when I fix the Falcon it was just supposed to be temporary anyway).

So anyway, it is back up and running ( bbs.sfhqbbs.org port 5983 ) and I'll be working on some of the games and Fido adjustments as well as fixing the BBS list (the old code isn't working well for Telnet BBS's).

The BBS had been running much better since switching the port to 5983 and since I actually have 2 MSTEs, another Falcon and now the TT, I should be able to keep it up fairly reliably (also since I have a backup external HD setup that came with the TT).

Should be in good shape (fingers crossed)

I used to maintain an Atari BBS list, but gave up years ago because they were none left. All that are in the last version (located at http://atari.holyoak.comif you want to see for historical purposes) are emulators running on telnet.

DarkForce has been around for a long time. Real Atari ST hardware, real Atari ST software, all the time.

PS DarkForce is on your list - we have *never* been emulated, and I mean that in the absolute broadest

sense of the word! :)

Edited by DarkLord
  • Like 1

DarkForce has been around for a long time. Real Atari ST hardware, real Atari ST software, all the time.

PS DarkForce is on your list - we have *never* been emulated, and I mean that in the absolute broadest

sense of the word! :)

True. But the original intent of my list was to have just 8-bit dial-up systems. Sorry I wasn't that specific. But you do have a great thing going there. :)

Thanks, appreciated!

I really don't differentiate between 8bit and ST based Atari BBS's. An Atari

BBS is an Atari BBS is an Atari BBS... :)

I have to agree with you about the number of actual Atari BBS's (8bit or ST)

that are still up and running. It's a very small number, sadly...

So, is running an Atari BBS in an emulator considered taboo? I wouldn't mind running an Atari BBS in emulator for telnet access since I have a PC up 24/7 running Synchronet already.

No... It's really a personal choice. There are Atari BBS's running on emulators... I personally only run on real hardware just because that's how I prefer to retro (if I'm going to use my PC to run a BBS, then I'll run a modern PC BBS... plus, my old Atari equipment still works). But if you want to run an emulated one, more power to you!

But if you're expecting to get tons of callers, don't waste your time, you'll just be disappointed. But if you don't mind putting the work in knowing that maybe people will call, maybe they won't but you're having fun with it anyway.... then welcome to the club.

• Like 1