IGNORED

CF7+ power supply

DavidC

Hi fellas, my name is David and I have had my TI since forever! I recently dug her out of the storage closet and fired her up.

Just like yesteryear, beautiful!

I bought a CF7+ from eBay probably like 7 or 8 years ago and it worked great. My question is about the power supply. Mine is externally powered, and I lost the

Wall Wart I used to use with it. I can't remember the details. I know it's +5 volts regulated according to the manual. Here is the copy/paste from the manual..

CF7+ is designed to plug into the consoles expansion port. It draws power from the console so no external power supply is needed.

However, upon request some versions are modified for external power. This is so the Speech Synthesizer can be used. You will need to provide a regulated +5v power source (such a wall transformer). The connector is a female berg connector. This connector may be replaced with any more suitable one.

So, what is the polarity? Center positive? What should I use?

Please help me remember....I love this computer and I don't want to ruin it by being a idiot.

Thank You!

What is NanoPEB? I've read bits about it here and there on this forum, also something about a F18 mod??

I never had the chance to get a real PEB since I aquired my TI when I was just a kid. Probably like 12 years old. Kmart had one on the shelf for $50. I begged

my Dad to buy it for me. He did!

No books no manuals, just the computer and the wires to hook it up to the TV.

I finally got a tape recorder to save my "work" lol. I still have that, and the tapes.

Over the years since, 37 years....wow. I have collected a bunch of TI carts, books, magazines which I cherish.

The CF7+ is pretty cool.

But, now I know there are more cool things available.....I need them...lol!

• Like 1

What is NanoPEB? I've read bits about it here and there on this forum, also something about a F18 mod??

I never had the chance to get a real PEB since I aquired my TI when I was just a kid. Probably like 12 years old. Kmart had one on the shelf for $50. I begged

my Dad to buy it for me. He did!

No books no manuals, just the computer and the wires to hook it up to the TV.

I finally got a tape recorder to save my "work" lol. I still have that, and the tapes.

Over the years since, 37 years....wow. I have collected a bunch of TI carts, books, magazines which I cherish.

The CF7+ is pretty cool.

But, now I know there are more cool things available.....I need them...lol!

A Nano-PEB is basically a CF7, but with a serial port instead of a parallel port. The new Nano-PEB was modified to work with the F18A, which is about the best thing video-wise you can do for your TI.

Now since you 'need them all'... something I completely understand and relate to, you might want to consider the following 'cool things' once you pick up a P-Box:

HDX modification, Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite, Lotharek HxC, or you could even make your own cartridges. Then once you do that you could even modify your controller card to get some extra space. I'm sure some of the other can come up with ways for you to spend your money too! ;)

Now you can get a LOT of information and books (in electronic for at these sites:

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/ and http://www.hexbus.com/tibooks/

... that should get you started. :evil:

• Like 1

That is a lot of information to digest. THANK YOU!

I stumbled upon this forum just a few days ago, surprised to see all the love for the TI. Realizing I am not alone.

That is was prompted me to bring her back to life and hear that satisfying 'beep'.

Slowly but surely, I will remember half of what I forgot over the years. And that ain't much...

• Like 2

Will a 6 volt dc transformer 500 mA work with the CF7? Or should I just get what you guys are using from eBay?

Don't know if the CF7 has a voltage regulator, but the nanoPEB manual says:

nanoPEB-SIO is designed to plug into the console’s expansion port but requires an external power supply of 5 volts. The connector is 2.1mm and center pole is positive. The power supply MUST be regulated. WARNING – voltages exceeding 5v or the wrong polarity (center pole negative) can permanently damage the card!

• Like 1

If you plug in 6 Volt you´ll dump your nanoPEB. 5 Volts only. Sudden death ! Same happens if you swap polarity.

There is NO VRM on the nanoPEB. This "2$-insurances" sadly is missing.

This fact causes highest risks to your hardware, concerning the input-power.

So my advice is NOT to buy a cheap (chinese) power-supply, but a quality one. (!!)

Did I tell you that you should not buy a cheap power-supply ?

Unfortunately the manufacturer NOWHERE tells something about milliampere,

nor he provides at least one hint for a recommended powersupply...

Not on the website, not in the manuals. (Or I am blind)

As you can see on the pic, Arcardeshopper uses 2.4A (2400mA). I use 1.5A (1500 mA).

The more mA a powersupply delivers, the better. You cannot damage anything with that.

You only can run into problems if not enough mA. Maybe no damage, but misfunction in this moment at least.

So, just assume my 1.5 mA as minimum, so it should work.

xXx

And one more hint: Don´t use a cheap chinese (Amazon) power-supply....

:)

post-41141-0-55880300-1452302378_thumb.jpg

Edited by schmitzi

I am assume that the designer uses the same type of power-input:

http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/downloads/CF7+/docs/UsersManual.pdf

(document only indicates +5V power supply)

but the NanoPEB indicates more detail:

http://webpages.charter.net/nanopeb/downloads/nanoPEB/docs/nanoPEB-SIO_V1.pdf

The connector is 2.1mm and center pole is positive. The power supply MUST be regulated. WARNING – voltages

exceeding 5v or the wrong polarity (center pole negative) can permanently damage the card!

>> I am using this adapter for the NanoPEB: http://www.alecto.nl/eco-netadaptor-600ma

(and the polarity is PLUS (+) on the inside and NEGATIVE (-) on the outside)

as this adapter is universal you need to be careful plugging in the "2.1mm connector"

in the right direction for polarity (but it is indicated with an arrow and + and -)

Re:

Speech Synthesizer plugs first into the TI-99/4A (as it is powered internally)

the CF7+ (or NanoPeb) plugs into the Speech Synthesizer using the external 5V power adapter.

• Like 1

Sorry if it was me, confusing you :)

OK, just as a summary:

- you need a good one powersupply

- you need exactly 5 Volts (inside pin)

- you need 600mA at least (thx to Globeron)

- best way is to check voltage&polarity before using it first time

- you can buy any universal powersupply from the fuelstation, but just don´t grab the cheapest

xXx

Someone on here powered their nano with the +5 line inside the console. I wonder if that's safe? If so, I wonder if you could tap +5 off of the speech synthesizer? That would make a nice neat little package with no need of a wall wart.

I remember I read it somewhere on one of the TI websites or on AtariAge (probably Ralf has a better index)

Maybe the person got the 5V from the joystick port if I remember correctly, but I am pretty sure someone did it.

>> found it, Stuart powered his nanoPeb from inside.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233139-getting-power-from-the-joystick-port-for-atari-trakballs/?hl=5v&do=findComment&comment=3145560

Could always just run a +5V/GND cable out from the internal TI-99 power supply through a small hole in the case. That's how I power my nanoPEB.

Edited by globeron

Oh, I'm a bit late to this thread, but I also have a fairly old CF7+ with external power, which looks different from the one shown here. My version needs at least 7.5V, according to the seller. I've been using it with a 9V power supply for years now. You really need to make sure which version you have there.

• Like 2

Oh, I'm a bit late to this thread, but I also have a fairly old CF7+ with external power, which looks different from the one shown here. My version needs at least 7.5V, according to the seller. I've been using it with a 9V power supply for years now. You really need to make sure which version you have there.

If it has a 5volt voltage regulator built on board, then it can use the 7.5 to 9 volt power supply. If it doesn't then only use the 5 volt source, If you don't take head to this warning, you will kill the XILINX CPLD at least( been there, done that) and will have to buy replacements. :_(

• Like 1