IGNORED

The Official NEO-GEO Thread!

Hi everyone. Mike here with my first official post on The Official NEO GEO Thread. I recently made this video about the NEO GEO Pocket Color and I wanted to share it because I think the NGPC needs more love. It's such an underrated handheld with a great library of games. Definitely pick one up if you can find it for a decent price.

Hi Mike,

Thank you for posting your NGPC buyer guide upload and participating on, The Official NEO-GEO Thread on Atariage.com! :)

Feel free to look around for your convenience and you're welcome to contribute onto the thread as much as you like. If you have any inquires that you would like to address, please post on here and will try to answer them as best as possible. :)

Thank you again Mike. As always keep up the great work with your channel. We look forward on seeing more from you in the immediate future! :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back again with Jarrod from Project COE. This evening, will be watching a video regarding the Atomiswave that SNK/Playmore participated on developing titles for the unit after the discontinuation of the Neo-Geo. A very informative video for us by Jarrod and perfect upload for those that are considering investing on the Atomiswave. Enjoy. :)

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Thanks Anthony :) I hope you guys enjoy the reviews I have to provide for your viewing pleasure over the coming weeks. I cover all 5 of the SNKP released games, and let me say right now, they're super fun :D

Thank you for stopping by Jarrod. :)

We look forward on watching your Atomiswave videos. Feel free to post them on the thread for you convenience if you like. Keep up the great worlk as always. We know we won't be dissatisfied at all :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back again with fellow Atariage member, Richard Evans.

Richard has been hard at work playing Blazing Stars for the MVS and he continues to starve for excellence. To continue on with his endeavors as a professional Neo-Geo player, Richard will try to surpass his current record and submit his results to Twin Galaxies for pending approval.

Can Mr. Evans achieve greatness? You bet! :)

From the description,

"This is me playing Blazing Star on my Neo Geo MVS. The score is 6,659,910 which I am submitting to Twin Galaxies.

Real shame I died just short of completing the Stage 3 boss because in addition to the level completion bonus, I would also have got 150K for having all 5 LUCKY panels. My score would have been heading up to 7 million I think. Next time... I'm still pleased with this as it's a massive improvement over my last score of 2.69 million."

Anthony...

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Back again with fellow Atariage member, Richard Evans.

Richard has been hard at work playing Blazing Stars for the MVS and he continues to starve for excellence. To continue on with his endeavors as a professional Neo-Geo player, Richard will try to surpass his current record and submit his results to Twin Galaxies for pending approval.

Can Mr. Evans achieve greatness? You bet! :)

From the description,

"This is me playing Blazing Star on my Neo Geo MVS. The score is 6,659,910 which I am submitting to Twin Galaxies.

Real shame I died just short of completing the Stage 3 boss because in addition to the level completion bonus, I would also have got 150K for having all 5 LUCKY panels. My score would have been heading up to 7 million I think. Next time... I'm still pleased with this as it's a massive improvement over my last score of 2.69 million."

Anthony...

Thanks Anthony!

I appreciate you sharing this and hope people like the video. I need to keep working on this game as I died in a very silly way near the end. I'm sure I can do much better :-)

I need to get working on Pulstar again too, as although I hold the Twin Galaxies record I'm sure I can better this score too. I know it's not a comparable scoring track, but I'd personally like to beat the MAME record for this game too as I have with Blazing Star.

• Like 1

Thanks Anthony!

I appreciate you sharing this and hope people like the video. I need to keep working on this game as I died in a very silly way near the end. I'm sure I can do much better :-)

I need to get working on Pulstar again too, as although I hold the Twin Galaxies record I'm sure I can better this score too. I know it's not a comparable scoring track, but I'd personally like to beat the MAME record for this game too as I have with Blazing Star.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for coming by and for posting. Seeing these videos from you make it look so simple. I have to post your Pulstar video on the thread as well. That was a fun video and glad you hold the record at Twin Galaxies. I'm sure you can surpass the MAME record with no trouble. Your the Neo-Geo pro!! :-D

Can't wait to see your Neo-Geo X jailbreak video soon Rich. Were all looking forward on viewing that!

Anthony...

• Like 1

The Atomiswave isn't built off NAOMI hardware. Both systems are built off the Dreamcast, but the NAOMI has additional hardware whereas the Atomiswave is the exact DC HW spec. I think the Wiki article is what popularized saying the Atomiswave is built off the NAOMI hardware. The reason that the Sega logo sometimes pops up has nothing to do with the NAOMI hardware, it has to do with the cartridge. Also, only mono audio is available off the JAMMA edge which is pretty much the norm unless you're talking about an MVS system or others that use a slightly different pinout than standard JAMMA connector.

Figured I'd share this. Doing minor maintenance on my MAS Neo Geo joystick, and I figured I'd post pictures of the inside in case anyone was wondering what's inside or how it's wired for potential modding.

Sorry I haven't participated in the high score thing. I've had some issues with my test button not working while in game. Turns out the unibios somehow switched to aes mode. Finally figured out, with tons of trial and error, that resetting the memory in the main menu without a cart plugged in made it work like normal, splash screens, test button and all.

Anywho, enjoy the pictures.

post-44598-0-92267600-1453355544_thumb.jpeg

post-44598-0-97716400-1453355554_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Figured I'd share this. Doing minor maintenance on my MAS Neo Geo joystick, and I figured I'd post pictures of the inside in case anyone was wondering what's inside or how it's wired for potential modding.

Sorry I haven't participated in the high score thing. I've had some issues with my test button not working while in game. Turns out the unibios somehow switched to aes mode. Finally figured out, with tons of trial and error, that resetting the memory in the main menu without a cart plugged in made it work like normal, splash screens, test button and all.

Anywho, enjoy the pictures.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for sharing this and interesting picture on what's inside your MAS joystick. No problem with the high score list. If you like to take picture, that's welcomed as well! :)

Anthony...

Hi guys,

Back again with Andrew from TheBackoffice doing another nicely done video with Shock Troopers. Andrew literally had a blast playing this title and so will you. Enjoy.

Anthony...

Ha ha, he mentioned me again (I'm Retro Rich on Twitter) and I did indeed recommend this to Andrew. Love Shock Troopers. Have this and and Shock Troopers 2nd Squad on MVS. I think if I had to choose, the first one is the best but I enjoy both.

Enioy!

• Like 1

Ha ha, he mentioned me again (I'm Retro Rich on Twitter) and I did indeed recommend this to Andrew. Love Shock Troopers. Have this and and Shock Troopers 2nd Squad on MVS. I think if I had to choose, the first one is the best but I enjoy both.

Enioy!

That's wonderful Richard. :)

Glad Andrew and many others have been motivated to do great work in the Neo-Geo gaming universe from yourself lately. Maybe Andrew will be considering becoming an Atariage member and contribute in a positive matter for us members and guests. :)

Keep it up kind sir, see you soon as always! :thumbsup:

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224

Hi Richard,

Thank you for coming by and for posting. Seeing these videos from you make it look so simple. I have to post your Pulstar video on the thread as well. That was a fun video and glad you hold the record at Twin Galaxies. I'm sure you can surpass the MAME record with no trouble. Your the Neo-Geo pro!! :-D

Can't wait to see your Neo-Geo X jailbreak video soon Rich. Were all looking forward on viewing that!

Anthony...

I will be doing that video hopefully this weekend. I've been a little preoccupied with regaining my Blazing Star top score, and although it's not verified and accepted into the Twin Galaxies database just yet, it's looking good at the moment.

I have a list of games suggested by friends on Twitter that they would like to see featured in the video on the jailbreak, so I will be crediting those people. I won't be playing each for long as I'm not reviewing the games themselves, just talking about the jailbreak but if you're interested the list so far is;

Magician Lord

Nightmare In The Dark

Samurai Shodown 2

Metal Slug

King Of Fighters '98

Windjammers

King Of Fighters '95

Garou Mark Of The Wolves

Neo Turf Masters

Twinkle Star Sprites (from you Anthony!)

Blazing Star

Shock Troopers

Mutation Nation

Most of these are actual official releases on the Neo Geo X, but since I wanted to make it interactive I'm going to feature them anyway. I also intend to show a numbers of games which are not official releases and only available with the jailbreak. I've yet to decide on these, but would be happy if anyone wanted to suggest some on here maybe? For info, the list of official games is available here so these can be avoided ideally;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_X

Not all games work on the jailbreak. I know for example that Aero Fighters and Viewpoint do not work, but I think all the other Neo Geo titles do.

The Neo Geo X got a lot of hate which I don't think it deserves. With the jailbreak it's a fantastic emulation system for Neo Geo and may other systems. It's allowed me to play all the games and decide which ones I want to buy for my MVS and the focus of my video will be on these positive points rather than an in depth review of hardware that's been done many times on youtube.

I hope you guys enjoy it once I've done it and published! :-)

• Like 1

Has anyone ever bought a Chinese reproduction cart? I wouldn't buy a bootleg, but saw one for Ironclad. Since this game was never released for the AES I have been thinking about getting it. I'm curious about the quality of these Chinese made carts.

Hi ECW,

I personally never had a Chinese reproduction cart. But i guess it depends on the person who is making them. Its a 50-50 chance (IMO).

Anthony...

I will be doing that video hopefully this weekend. I've been a little preoccupied with regaining my Blazing Star top score, and although it's not verified and accepted into the Twin Galaxies database just yet, it's looking good at the moment.

I have a list of games suggested by friends on Twitter that they would like to see featured in the video on the jailbreak, so I will be crediting those people. I won't be playing each for long as I'm not reviewing the games themselves, just talking about the jailbreak but if you're interested the list so far is;

Magician Lord

Nightmare In The Dark

Samurai Shodown 2

Metal Slug

King Of Fighters '98

Windjammers

King Of Fighters '95

Garou Mark Of The Wolves

Neo Turf Masters

Twinkle Star Sprites (from you Anthony!)

Blazing Star

Shock Troopers

Mutation Nation

Most of these are actual official releases on the Neo Geo X, but since I wanted to make it interactive I'm going to feature them anyway. I also intend to show a numbers of games which are not official releases and only available with the jailbreak. I've yet to decide on these, but would be happy if anyone wanted to suggest some on here maybe? For info, the list of official games is available here so these can be avoided ideally;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_X

Not all games work on the jailbreak. I know for example that Aero Fighters and Viewpoint do not work, but I think all the other Neo Geo titles do.

The Neo Geo X got a lot of hate which I don't think it deserves. With the jailbreak it's a fantastic emulation system for Neo Geo and may other systems. It's allowed me to play all the games and decide which ones I want to buy for my MVS and the focus of my video will be on these positive points rather than an in depth review of hardware that's been done many times on youtube.

I hope you guys enjoy it once I've done it and published! :-)

Excellent Richard,

I seen a few jailbreak videos on YouTube with the Neo-Geo X, but never attempted to do it. Nice selection of titles that you have in order. Despite the negative reviews towards the NGX, many people did like the unit. Glad that people like yourself are helping others reconsidering on doing so.

There was also a video that I remember posting and saw you making a comment as well. I'll post that again to show the members/guests so they can have see an objective review over it. Pretty nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJxynW2sZ3o

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Has anyone ever bought a Chinese reproduction cart? I wouldn't buy a bootleg, but saw one for Ironclad. Since this game was never released for the AES I have been thinking about getting it. I'm curious about the quality of these Chinese made carts.

Depends on your source, really. Personally I wouldn't pay what some of the folks are asking for the fancier boots with cases, manuals and all that, but then again I don't have AES, I use the MVS. Do you have an MVS->AES convertor? There are plenty of US based sources that will build you an Ironclad cart that is guaranteed for about $70-80 shipped. Also with Ironclad there were a couple different ROM sets released, one of them was in a foreign language (can't recall which, but a quick Google should tell you) and the screen was noticeably darker due to some copy protection I believe.

Hi ECW,

I personally never had a Chinese reproduction cart. But i guess it depends on the person who is making them. Its a 50-50 chance (IMO).

Anthony...

How did you arrive at the 50-50 figure if you haven't owned any?

Excellent Richard,

I seen a few jailbreak videos on YouTube with the Neo-Geo X, but never attempted to do it. Nice selection of titles that you have in order. Despite the negative reviews towards the NGX, many people did like the unit. Glad that people like yourself are helping others reconsidering on doing so.

There was also a video that I remember posting and saw you making a comment as well. I'll post that again to show the members/guests so they can have see an objective review over it. Pretty nicely done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJxynW2sZ3o

Anthony...

The NGX isn't bad at the current price as long as you know what you're getting into. However, there are some objective points I have a problem with in this video:

Fact: He's never played a real Neo Geo, how does he know how the shoddy emulation compares to the real thing? Even as someone who admittedly never played a real Neo Geo he admits the sound is off, it'd be even worse for people who've played the real thing for years.

Fact: He says it's like the GBA not looking good when blown up on the Gameboy player because the NGX is a portable console. False equivalence. It's playing games that 20+ years ago were meant to be played on a TV/monitor. The graphics in the ROMs aren't somehow specially designed for a portable screen as no such thing existed during the Neo Geo's original run. Yes, the Neo Geo X is a portable console, but the games were originally designed to be played on a monitor. He's just making excuses for how horrible the video output is. They did a terrible job on the video output on the docking station, let's not make excuses for it.

Comparing the NGX to a real AES + individual carts in terms of pricing makes no sense. That's like comparing one of those Genesis flashback consoles to a real Genesis and CIB carts. Real carts with cases and manuals will continue to hold their price, if not increase, anyone who has been into the Neo Geo for any amount of time knows this as a fact. Also, the AES is using the REAL hardware, not poorly executed emulation. So comparing the prices makes no sense.

At the current day price, is the NGX a decent enough solution for Neo Geo on the go? Yep. But that's about as far as I'd go, no need to defend the truly poor aspects of the system. It is what it is. The included stick is also easy to mod with better parts to be used on an AES or consolized MVS so that's an extra bonus.

Hi guys,

Boy, this was truly amazing, this gentleman's spouse gave him the best Christmas girt he received so far. A Neo-Geo MVS big red unit!!!!

He has the best wife EVER...LOL :-D

Anthony...

Another uninformed video. There are exactly zero converters that allow AES games to be played on MVS.

Another uninformed video. There are exactly zero converters that allow AES games to be played on MVS.

Yes, there are only converters for the other way around right? I personally didn't like the sound of his plans for the Neo Geo. Replacing the CRT with an LCD and the buttons with light up ones, yuk :-) Still, it's his system and he can do what he likes, each to their own. So long as he's happy with it and he enjoys playing the games that's the main thing.

But... his wife is very cool for getting him the Neo Geo in the first place and I do like that 4-slot Big Red model!

• Like 1

Yes, there are only converters for the other way around right? I personally didn't like the sound of his plans for the Neo Geo. Replacing the CRT with an LCD and the buttons with light up ones, yuk :-) Still, it's his system and he can do what he likes, each to their own. So long as he's happy with it and he enjoys playing the games that's the main thing.

Yep, only AES to MVS converters, though the reverse is possible it doesn't make sense for anything other than a handful of the earlier games that are cheaper on AES. Replacing the CRT with an LCD will introduce lag and it won't look how it was originally intended, but I've seen it done on arcade cabs plenty of times. Looks like other than a little geometry tweaking his monitor is in pretty nice shape.

• Like 1