IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

Hi Everyone!

I'm very happy and excited to announce the Kickstarter campaign is up and running for our new lineup of controllers and controller adapters for the Colecovision community! You can see the project here:

Edladdin Kickstarter Campaign

Recapping previous conversations in these forums, this 30 day campaign will launch four new products:

Output to both the classic AND Flashback Colecovision consoles

$ 99.00 - "Seagull CV" controller adapter (use any Atari 2600, 7800, '82 Colecovision, Flashback Colecovision, and Sega Genesis controllers, with 12 key membrane keypad)

$149.00 - "Super Arcade Controller" (Sanwa JLF joystick with octagonal restrictor plate, 4 Suzo-Happ Pushbuttons, 12 key membrane keypad)

$199.00 - "Super Arcade Controller PLUS" (combination of "Seagull CV" and "Super Arcade Controller")

Output to USB for computer emulation

$179.00 - "Super USB - Colecovision" - (Sanwa stick, 4 Suzo-Happ Pushbuttons, 12 key membrane keypad)

This one will work when emulating any console or arcade machine, but the inclusion of the keypad and the four buttons put the focus on fans of the Colecovision. The heart of this controller will be the Ultimarc iPac2.

I am extremely grateful to William Culver and Albert Yarusso for their help, guidance, and encouragement at every step, as well as to everyone in these forums who shared advice, ideas, and constructive criticism over the last 3-4 months. We would not be at this point without you. You can see that thread here.

And you can see a complete review of the "Super Arcade Controller PLUS" prototype by Mr. Culver here.

Thanks in advance to any of you who are able to support this campaign with pledges small or large! I would also be very grateful for any help spreading the word to other classic gamers who might be interested.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-33781700-1453308873_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Ordinarily, what you see is what you'll get.

If you prefer we can leave the box naked, everything unlabeled, and the keypad uncovered.

I think it looks cool . I just wasn't sure if it was one big sticker that covered most of the top considering with the white that goes up around the buttons .

• Like 1

I think it looks cool . I just wasn't sure if it was one big sticker that covered most of the top considering with the white that goes up around the buttons .

Yes, its one big rectangle sticker that goes from bottom front edge to the top edge at the top of the slope.

With the 7800 controls there was nothing much to label, so we just used the small ovals. With these we wanted to label the 4 inputs and the 2 outputs to make it as EZ as possible for the users. Plus we needed artwork for the keypads...

Backed--in for the 99$ Seagull CV.

As someone who already asked about possibly getting theirs sent naked (sans stickers), I can't agree more about the art. I'd LOVE to have faux coleco art on there.

Edladdin, you were very gracious about offering to not have the stickers on there....any chance we can get some Coleco-style art instead (I say style because I know it is trademarked....a plain black box with a "chrome" stripe on the front, and "Edladdin" done in the Coleco rainbow font, and a normal keypad font, would kick ass IMO)

Our wish is your command right? :grin:

Edited by GoldenWheels

Color me interested and thinking about it, but I cannot get over how gaudy the labels are on the controller. Any plans for cleaner/plainer looking ones?

I get where you are coming from... We definitely went "big" with the designs in order to try and catch some attention. I totally understand that this would not appeal to everyone.

Making a second version of the full coverage labels is not feasible. With printing the price starts over with each new design that you run and the lower the number, the higher the unit cost. For example, it cost me $232 to have two copies of each of the four samples made ($29 each). We have to print 60 of each to have the price reach a reasonable per-unit level of $6.67 each for the big ones and $3.42 each for the little one. Its an ok price, but its still $1,405 to have 60 of each label made.

With that said, I am happy to deliver the goods in one of these ways:

1. Trim off the majority of the labels, leaving only the strip on the lower front edge that labels the inputs on the "Seagull CV" and the "SAC Plus". The main sloped surface will have only the keypad.

2. Label nothing at all - only the keypad! See the attached photo of a naked "SAC Plus" as an example, then imagine the keypad in the middle...

I hope this is more appealing! I need your support! :-)

post-40253-0-60299000-1453422701_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Control parts decisions = 10 (awesome!)

Graphic design decisions = 2 (ugh)

Why not give these things a more streamlined, official "ColecoVision" graphic look? I don't get it.

Just my two cents.

Ouch!

At the beginning I definitely thought quite a bit about openly adopting/adapting the ColecoVision "look" for these products, even calling them "Expansion Modules" and so on. I thought UberArcade's 7800 styled controllers looked really great and thought it would be fun to riff on the Coleco look in the same way.

In the end, I did not feel comfortable given that ColecoVision is an active trademark that is currently being mined with the Flashback and now the Chameleon. I can't afford to pursue proper licensing, and I did not want to set myself up to face a "Cease and Desist" at some time in the future, or have them demand a royalty for units already sold. So thats the heart of it - I think it would look really cool but I am too risk averse to do it without permission.

• Like 1

Backed--in for the 99$ Seagull CV.

As someone who already asked about possibly getting theirs sent naked (sans stickers), I can't agree more about the art. I'd LOVE to have faux coleco art on there.

Edladdin, you were very gracious about offering to not have the stickers on there....any chance we can get some Coleco-style art instead (I say style because I know it is trademarked....a plain black box with a "chrome" stripe on the front, and "Edladdin" done in the Coleco rainbow font, and a normal keypad font, would kick ass IMO)

Our wish is your command right? :grin:

That's the problem with the trademarks.... If you can look at it and immediately think "That looks like Coleco!" then you have probably violated the trademark. :-(

The keypads have the same problem as the labels - the minimum run on those is 250 pieces each with hundreds of dollars in setup charges for each design, so having multiple designs printed is not feasible. And it was a struggle to find a company that would run "only" 250. A few would do 500 pieces and most wanted a minimum of 1,000 pieces. I'm going to be elated if we get pledges/pre-orders for 50 controllers and adapters.

I hope this is not a deal killer for everyone! We've had a strong start on the campaign, but I really will need support from most if not all of you if we are going to make it to the finish line.

That's the problem with the trademarks.... If you can look at it and immediately think "That looks like Coleco!" then you have probably violated the trademark. :-(

The keypads have the same problem as the labels - the minimum run on those is 250 pieces each with hundreds of dollars in setup charges for each design, so having multiple designs printed is not feasible. And it was a struggle to find a company that would run "only" 250. A few would do 500 pieces and most wanted a minimum of 1,000 pieces. I'm going to be elated if we get pledges/pre-orders for 50 controllers and adapters.

I hope this is not a deal killer for everyone! We've had a strong start on the campaign, but I really will need support from most if not all of you if we are going to make it to the finish line.

Hey I understand--and I don't blame you at all. I am still certainly 100% on board!

• Like 1

Oh I plan to make the pledge this weekend . Guys here are some basic colecovision or coleco vinyl stickers (pick a color) incase you would want to go that route on the top or on the sides .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLECO-Vinyl-Decal-Sticker-Colecovision-WHITE-/260860432697?hash=item3cbc7e5139:m:m0_HnRo-iIeVjzkdfcopvvQ This is a 1.5 x 6 inch .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ColecoVision-Video-Games-80s-Sticker-Car-Truck-Decal-Vinyl-Window-Wall-Laptop-/291654005840?hash=item43e7eef450:g:pBAAAOSwYIdWFi6R&vxp=mtr This is a 2.5 x 7.5 inch

• Like 1

Hey I understand--and I don't blame you at all. I am still certainly 100% on board!

Thank you, and thank you very much for the pledge, GoldenWheels.

------------

While eating dinner I had an idea regarding the keypads!

The plan has been that the production run of the big labels would be printed without the keypad, since the keypad is a separate item that would stick on the top. I had them printed on the samples because I needed mock-ups to show what all the product would look like in the Kickstarter video and the stills. (Only the Super Arcade Controller PLUS is a 100% functional prototype.)

Likewise, the sample keypad I got from China is someone else's design and very generic/industrial looking (see photo). In order to have the prototype look and work properly, I put the sample keypad under the main label - essentially skinned over it. This actually worked out really well - putting the keypad underneath the label gave a smooth surface to the controller and no loss in function.

Since many folks prefer a much more minimal approach to the design, I can:

1. Leave the "genie font" keypad printed on the big label.

2. Have a minimal design printed on the naked keypad.

3. If you want full-on, eye-popping, purple and gold: we put the keypad under the big label.

4. If you want the minimalist look, we leave the controller naked and the low-intensity keypad is visible for those owners.

So we get the best of both worlds without sending the costs any higher. And your wish is STILL my command! ;-)

How does this sound? Comments?

post-40253-0-45688000-1453426065_thumb.jpg

• Like 2