SCSI2SD Adapter Works!

Shift838

All,

I purchased one of these SCSI2SD card adapters

HERE

This thing works great.

I got it set up to test with the TI.
It sees SCS1 to SCS4
I set it for 248mb @ 512k sectors for SCSI ID 0 to 3 and got a total size of 1015792 sectors per volume.
I have tested saving and retrieving files with no issues at all.
It's easy to setup and can be powered via a standard Molex power supply or a micro-USB adapter.
So now I have basically a solid state hard drive on the 99/4A!
These can be had fairly cheap.

post-35187-0-36993800-1453352024_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-21846700-1453352662_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here is my configuration.

SCS1 = EZ135

SCS2 = Western Digital Hard Drive

SCS3 = SCS2SD

SCS4 = SCS2SD

SCS5 = SCS2SD

SCS6 = SCS2SD

the attached photos are of the actual card and from my configuration of the system via the SCS2SD utility from my PC. I attached a LED.. (if the scs2sd utility is running and the card is plugged in via USB the LED will flash as the software is heart-beating the unit constantly)

Please be aware, the card does not come with a USB cable but most of us have one. Also some USB cables do not work with it. If the software does not detect it try a different USB cable. I had to. Also update the firmware to the latest copy first!

Now I just need to find something to mount it in... and buy me a back up to this unit! I always need 2 !

I got some direction from InsaneMultitasker of how to back it up for a raw copy on the PC and will be testing that as well.

post-35187-0-42293300-1453387525_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-91358200-1453387532_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-46519600-1453387638_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-49310700-1453387646_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-17309800-1453387652_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-74320000-1453387658_thumb.jpg

post-35187-0-92886400-1453387664_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That's sweet!

I'm assuming its probably a bit faster than a syquest or a Zip drive?

I did a test copy of a large archived file and it was about 30% faster going from hard drive to SD vs hard drive to hard drive.
I did a test load of a ea5 program and it's about 20% faster.
  • Like 2

Here is my configuration.

SCS1 = EZ135

SCS2 = Western Digital Hard Drive

SCS3 = SCS2SD

SCS4 = SCS2SD

SCS5 = SCS2SD

SCS6 = SCS2SD

the attached photos are of the actual card and from my configuration of the system via the SCS2SD utility from my PC. I attached a LED.. (if the scs2sd utility is running and the card is plugged in via USB the LED will flash as the software is heart-beating the unit constantly)

Please be aware, the card does not come with a USB cable but most of us have one. Also some USB cables do not work with it. If the software does not detect it try a different USB cable. I had to. Also update the firmware to the latest copy first!

Now I just need to find something to mount it in... and buy me a back up to this unit! I always need 2 !

I got some direction from InsaneMultitasker of how to back it up for a raw copy on the PC and will be testing that as well.

interesting. Thx for sharing, I saved that, maybe I can find a SCSI-controller one day :)

So, the WHT does not need parity ? And the same serial-number on each device is no problem ?

interesting. Thx for sharing, I saved that, maybe I can find a SCSI-controller one day :)

So, the WHT does not need parity ? And the same serial-number on each device is no problem ?

Correct, all devices function with no issues with no parity and same serial #.

• Like 1

I have been able to test backing up and restoring this device successfully.

I have used HDD Raw Copy Tool v1.10 (this is the one I prefer It's FREE)

I did not put alot of files on there, but I put a handful on each of the 4 SCSI devices on the SD card.

total backup was less than 1mb for an 8GB SD card.

I tried WinHex, and it worked very well. However for a personal license you have to pay for it.

Also the backup from winHex took the same files that I backed up with HDD RAW Copy, but the size of the file backed up was close to 35MB.

I don't know if it's a compression thing or it's backing up un-needed blank data.

But both worked well.

It took about 10 minutes to backup and about 15 minutes to restore it.

My test was:

• copy different files to each of the SCSI devices
  • backup SD card
  • initialize the SD card SCSI Devices on the TI to blank them out
  • formatted SD card with my PC just to make sure it was all gone!
  • Restored backed up image file to SD card
  • verified drives were on the TI with the appropriate files as before.

SUCCESSFUL!

When I backup my platters using Winhex, I do so as raw dumps. The images can then be read and manipulated using Michael's tiimagetool. For me this is important ;)

You are probably correct in that HDD Raw Copy compresses the data. This isn't a problem - it just depends how you wish to use that backed up data. If you don't intend to use it with any other tools, you should be good to go.

One thing I learned long ago was to be sure you document the formatted size of your drive (and any necessary parameters) so that you know how to recreate the setup.

I guess for Linux the usual "dd" command will do.

BTW, for some future release of TIImageTool, I consider to remove the "Open device" function again. Instead, users should do a dump of the device first by an external tool (Linux: dd, Windows: hdd raw copy) and open the dump file. If it is modified, it must be written back with that tool. Tim, I suppose you open the dump with "Open...".

The reason is that opening the device in Linux requires to run TIImageTool as root or add the user to the disk group, which is a huge security issue. Second, in Windows I was not able to make TIImageTool write to the raw device, despite all tips and tricks on the web.

BTW, for some future release of TIImageTool, I consider to remove the "Open device" function again. Instead, users should do a dump of the device first by an external tool (Linux: dd, Windows: hdd raw copy) and open the dump file. If it is modified, it must be written back with that tool. Tim, I suppose you open the dump with "Open...".

Correct, I use the "Open" option, not the "Open Device" option. The latter is risky, especially if one writes to an incorrect device. I strongly disliked the CF7 DOS tool for this very reason.

Correct, I use the "Open" option, not the "Open Device" option. The latter is risky, especially if one writes to an incorrect device. I strongly disliked the CF7 DOS tool for this very reason.

Tim, I have a question concerning the WHT SCSI card, I have gotten one of my HFDC's fully operational and performed formatting and testing on two Mitsubishi MR535 drives, now I want to load them with some software. The Geneve I am using right now has the .98 eprom and my SCSI card never been upgraded( I do not know the various pal and upgrades as of yet). Can I use this scsi2sd option with that particular card, or does it need to be upgraded. Also can I use zip drives and such with this current configuration( I have both zip and ez drives)? Thanks for your response.

Chris,

I'm really impressed with your new toy Chris.. even had to wipe a little drool off my chin. drool05.gif

I could justify popping for the new SCSI to SD converter, cabling and the SD card, because all are within reason price-wise. A SSHD has been a dream of mine for a couple of years now, but I doubt I'll ever be able to follow in your footsteps. Why? Because the legacy SCSI boards are too rare and pricey for me, and since I don't see an affordable, modern, reverse-engineered option available... well... crap!

Tim, I have a question concerning the WHT SCSI card, I have gotten one of my HFDC's fully operational and performed formatting and testing on two Mitsubishi MR535 drives, now I want to load them with some software. The Geneve I am using right now has the .98 eprom and my SCSI card never been upgraded( I do not know the various pal and upgrades as of yet). Can I use this scsi2sd option with that particular card, or does it need to be upgraded. Also can I use zip drives and such with this current configuration( I have both zip and ez drives)? Thanks for your response.

I can't speak to the scsi2sd beyond what Chris has reported, though I see no reason it won't be successful.

The Geneve MUST have the extra 32K SRAM installed to even boot the proper Geneve OS. Be sure to start there.

The SCSI card MUST be configured for CRU 0x1200.

The Geneve OS will function properly with both modified and unmodified SCSI cards. So long as your termination is correct and the IDs are set with no conflicts, the ZIP and EZdrives should be fine together. ((MDOS / Geneve OS 6.50 was tested with the Rev E and Rev F cards, unmodified and modified.))

The default SCSI IDs are 0,1,2 for SCS1, SCS2, SCS3. The Geneve is limited to three active devices so if your drive is at a different ID, you will need to change it physically -or- use the SCSMAP command to re-assign the ID to a device.

The command "PDMA on/off" tells the OS whether the card has been upgraded or not. With an older, unmodified card, be sure you specify "PDMA OFF" before accessing a SCSI device.

• Like 1

I can't speak to the scsi2sd beyond what Chris has reported, though I see no reason it won't be successful.

The Geneve MUST have the extra 32K SRAM installed to even boot the proper Geneve OS. Be sure to start there.

The SCSI card MUST be configured for CRU 0x1200.

The Geneve OS will function properly with both modified and unmodified SCSI cards. So long as your termination is correct and the IDs are set with no conflicts, the ZIP and EZdrives should be fine together. ((MDOS / Geneve OS 6.50 was tested with the Rev E and Rev F cards, unmodified and modified.))

The default SCSI IDs are 0,1,2 for SCS1, SCS2, SCS3. The Geneve is limited to three active devices so if your drive is at a different ID, you will need to change it physically -or- use the SCSMAP command to re-assign the ID to a device.

The command "PDMA on/off" tells the OS whether the card has been upgraded or not. With an older, unmodified card, be sure you specify "PDMA OFF" before accessing a SCSI device.

Thanks Tim, I had tried formatting a 4GB Scsi drive with MYS prior to my PFM+ Geneve having the Bad CPU RAM error pop up and it said that it had formatted, but I haven't went anywhere with it since. Now that I can use my hard drives again I am going to be more flexible. I am eventually going to try the MFM drive emulator talked about here http://www.pdp8.net/mfm/mfm.shtmlwhen I have some money to work with.

i had the box for quite some time. I think I picked it up at Frys a couuple of years ago. Just to have for a just in case situation like this one.

Just a plastic box. i got the SD Card mounted inside using the same screws and bolts you would use when moutning a motherboard to a case chassis.

got my dremel out and started carving away.

Maybe I should get my daughter to paint something on it to it shows it releated to a TI..

Suggestions anyone ?

• Like 1