IGNORED

Stuart's TI-99/4A - Internet Web Browser

Omega-TI

(I use PEB with standard RS232, UDS10) Greg: Not my one of these 2 new ones. Did you flash your new UDS ?

I will dig out my new one next days to check it. Same for Nano, but I never had any success on communicating with Nanos

I updated it to the latest firmware as it wouldn't do mode FC with the one on it.

Greg

I will check my cable tomorrow, but I think it is a standard NullModem..... but not sure.

These 20+ cables I bought, and these 20+ adapters of any kind I bought,

NOTHING of it worked with any software on my different NanoPEBs,

but ALL (really all but some adapters) WORKED with the PEB and a normal RS232.

I have to order a HDX next time, but I need a complete, ready-2-run PEB-cards,

as I am not able to build myself :)

So, I cannot check with a HDX-modded RS232 at the moment

NanoNano - the desparate things

PEB:

TI99 - RS232-Cable-Test

TI99 - RS232-Tests

Greg: I don't think FC mode matters, and I forgot to mention that two of my Lantronix UDS 10 devices do not support it, while just one does, and they all work OK. When I was configuring the ones that don't support FC, I think it said "not supported" and set it to 7C which works fine. The only difference is between the two modes is one and two stop bits, which are not critical.

arcadeshopper, on 01 Feb 2016 - 9:11 PM, said:

So built the cable adapter for the TI. Still getting a ton of retrys, tried a NIB uds10 and sitll getting a bunch of retrys.. is this how it works for the rest of you? Perhaps it's my hdx/rs232 card?

Greg

Greg,

To help debugging, have you got a Cortex BASIC cartridge, and do you have an easy way to get a Cortex BASIC program onto your system ('paste' it into Classic99 then save and transfer it somehow?)

The attached BASIC program should try to connect to a web server using the Lantronix. You need to change line 150 to match the serial port you're using - see the first couple of lines in the program. When you run it, it should display a line "SENDING COMMAND: C198.136.54.70/80" and then another line "SERVER RESPONSE:". If it connects to the server then this second line should be followed with the single letter "C". What do you see? Try it a few times, power-cycling the Lantronix after each attempt. If it's regularly reporting "C", try deleting line 625 and running it again, and it should then continue to try to download a page from a server (it will probably return the HTML for a 404 'page not found' error page but that is fine, the fact it's downloaded an HTML error page shows that it is working.

[i've tested this on my TM990 but not a TI-99, but I think it should work].

Cortex Comms Debug Program Listing.zip

Greg,

To help debugging, have you got a Cortex BASIC cartridge, and do you have an easy way to get a Cortex BASIC program onto your system ('paste' it into Classic99 then save and transfer it somehow?)

The attached BASIC program should try to connect to a web server using the Lantronix. You need to change line 150 to match the serial port you're using - see the first couple of lines in the program. When you run it, it should display a line "SENDING COMMAND: C198.136.54.70/80" and then another line "SERVER RESPONSE:". If it connects to the server then this second line should be followed with the single letter "C". What do you see? Try it a few times, power-cycling the Lantronix after each attempt. If it's regularly reporting "C", try deleting line 625 and running it again, and it should then continue to try to download a page from a server (it will probably return the HTML for a 404 'page not found' error page but that is fine, the fact it's downloaded an HTML error page shows that it is working.

Yes I do i sell them in my store

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Greg,

Cool i run this (I'm pretty sure it is entered correctly as i used paste in classic99 then saved it and hdx'd over the save file..) it sends the first request waits for a response, and crashes the TI (the pbox connect light goes out)..

Ok now that I read and follow instructions. I set it to the TI first card, it returns "C" then stopped a few times..so i deleted 625 now it seems to be receiving correctly each time

post-25598-0-68206400-1454385638_thumb.jpg

Nice!

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

Hi Greg,

The fact that you're getting ">" for the server response suggests that the Lantronix has gone into Monitor mode, which is not what we want.

It's possible that you're not getting a response back from the web server as quickly as the rest of us, hence the timeout problem. Give the following a go - it will require a bit of time and patience on your part (the program is a bit 'rough and ready' at the moment) but hopefully we can get you sorted.

Load that BASIC program again, then edit the following lines (changes shown in red) then re-save. These changes increase the time that the program waits for a response from the server via the Lantronix.

250 DATA 0C300H,0204H,001EH,0C084H,0703H,01F15H,01305H,0603H,016FCH,0602H
260 DATA 01307H,010F8H,03605H,01E12H,0204H,02H,0DC45H,010F1H,0D442H

Run the program again and check if you get a "C" for the server response. Power-cycle the Lantronix then try again. Then try a few more times and check if you consistently get a "C". If you get an "N" then power-cycle the Lantronix and leave for 5 minutes before trying again (I think in this case the server thinks you're already connected so you need to leave for a few minutes to allow it to forget all about you). Don't rush it. Don't run the program if the LED is flashing on the Lantronix - power-cycle it first.

If you're reliably getting a "C", now delete line 625 and try again and hopefully it will do the full HTTP request (may take up to 30+ seconds for each server response). If it works, try again a few more times (I'll say again that if the final server response starts "HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found", that is actually OK). There shouldn't be a need to power-cycle the Lantronix with line 625 deleted (as long as it completes the HTTP request). If this works, now edit line 250 again and decrease the value in red by 2 (001EH to 001CH) and try again. If it still works OK repeatedly, reduce that value by 2 again etc. Don't go below 0014H, which is the value that the browser is currently using. See if there is a value where you start getting lots of errors (when you do get an error, you'll probably need to power-cycle the Lantronix again).

• Like 2

Hi Greg,

The fact that you're getting ">" for the server response suggests that the Lantronix has gone into Monitor mode, which is not what we want.

It's possible that you're not getting a response back from the web server as quickly as the rest of us, hence the timeout problem. Give the following a go - it will require a bit of time and patience on your part (the program is a bit 'rough and ready' at the moment) but hopefully we can get you sorted.

Load that BASIC program again, then edit the following lines (changes shown in red) then re-save. These changes increase the time that the program waits for a response from the server via the Lantronix.

250 DATA 0C300H,0204H,001EH,0C084H,0703H,01F15H,01305H,0603H,016FCH,0602H

260 DATA 01307H,010F8H,03605H,01E12H,0204H,02H,0DC45H,010F1H,0D442H

Run the program again and check if you get a "C" for the server response. Power-cycle the Lantronix then try again. Then try a few more times and check if you consistently get a "C". If you get an "N" then power-cycle the Lantronix and leave for 5 minutes before trying again (I think in this case the server thinks you're already connected so you need to leave for a few minutes to allow it to forget all about you). Don't rush it. Don't run the program if the LED is flashing on the Lantronix - power-cycle it first.

If you're reliably getting a "C", now delete line 625 and try again and hopefully it will do the full HTTP request (may take up to 30+ seconds for each server response). If it works, try again a few more times (I'll say again that if the final server response starts "HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found", that is actually OK). There shouldn't be a need to power-cycle the Lantronix with line 625 deleted (as long as it completes the HTTP request). If this works, now edit line 250 again and decrease the value in red by 2 (001EH to 001CH) and try again. If it still works OK repeatedly, reduce that value by 2 again etc. Don't go below 0014H, which is the value that the browser is currently using. See if there is a value where you start getting lots of errors (when you do get an error, you'll probably need to power-cycle the Lantronix again).

ran a few times always got this:

post-25598-0-39470200-1454480971_thumb.jpg

times out on the 2nd request and no response light blinking on uds.. other seems to work

Greg

Actually the 'm.' Should be removed also, so it's just /xlat/(your URL)

Okay, I'm a little confused then, because when I use the ?m. I get:

gallery_35324_1027_152514.jpg

... it's not much, but it's something from the site.

When I exclude it and just type the URL after the / I get:

gallery_35324_1027_45332.jpg

I'm obviously doing SOMETHING wrong...

if you enter ...?m.foxnews.mobi on your PC, you can see that it will be redirected anywhere...

Maybe this is not supported by the xlat, or does not work with foxnews....

Just try a non-mobile, easy page, which is not redirected, like

www.myti99.com/xlat/?www.99er.info/99er.htm

At least, something should happen, but no 404. Maybe the myti99.com has a problem to resolve that DNS ?

I am not at my TI now to check that.

And, you have to type that with the "?", as this tells that now is following a parameter, your to be translated URL

• Like 1

Or

You know... Gazoo was able to use the extra memory in the UberCart for BOOT, if that same memory could be used to enlarge the page buffer in the cartridge browser... (just thinking out loud).

Or a myarc 128k/512k card.. (I have a foundation with myarc roms basically making it a myarc card)

Omega,

Sorry about that (That'll teach me to make entries on my iPhone on AtariAge :))

To view somerandomurl.com on the TI using this program, you'd enter:

www.myti99.com/xlat/?somerandomurl.com

I had omitted the question mark which is necessary at this time. I could modify the web server to work without it, but I didn't take the time before.

As for the 'm.' in the Reddit example, that's a pseudo-standard host name that I've seen websites use to indicate a mobile site. Some sites will do device/screen resolution detection and redirect small screens to a mobile-oriented site hosted on m.whateverurl.com.

It's certainly not a true standard and not a guaranteed thing at this time.

Edited by ElectricLab
  • Like 2

Or

Or a myarc 128k/512k card.. (I have a foundation with myarc roms basically making it a myarc card)

All of this sounds cool, but I worry about excluding people with standard (and available!) hardware. I'd give my right arm for anything MyArc :)

not exclude.. include.. if you have it, use it.. if not..ignore it .. everybody wins.. how bout 8k ram at 6000? how bout AMS? how bout a gram kracker with the write protect turned off.. have you seen Zterm/term80? it has support for many memory models

Greg

• Like 1

Corey,

That was my thinking as well. UberCARTs are readily available and fairly inexpensive compared to other devices. This would get them into a greater number of hands since it would only require a programming change and the addition of a 1284P into the cartridge.

I suppose the software could be modified to detect these other memory devices if Stuart is willing, but I really have no idea how much coding space he has left to work with.

Ok - it's Stuart who will have to do all of this, and I'm sure if people with the various hardware could give feedback, he could make it work. The problem is that people with stock systems would be constrained, and the web app would have to be aware of what you have in order to make or not make use of larger web pages, >12K.

Web apps already have this sort of problem with modern computers, and any web developer will tell you what a pain it is.

The web apps would need to target the lowest common denominator for mass appeal, and everybody wouldn't necessarily win.

One thing for sure is - I have a lot to learn about this other hardware that some of you have. I sure hope people bring their systems to Fest West for show-and-tell.

• Like 1

I sure hope people bring their systems to Fest West for show-and-tell.

I was not planning on bringing my system as it's just too dang big. But now that you mention it, I might consider bringing my hardly ever used Nano-PEB, it's three CF cards, reader and power supply. I don't remember how long it's been since I last used it!

Since you are putting on a presentation, I'd make sure you bring your own extension cord and power strip.

Also, if anyone is looking for a particular item to buy or trade, you might want to list the item you are looking for in this thread. That way someone who might have an extra of something could bring it and get rid of it. I know I'm in the market for another 1284P... Greg?

• Like 1