IGNORED

The Atari interview discussion thread

Savetz

Tom Harker, ICD

Tom Harker was co-founder of ICD, a company that created many popular add-ons for the Atari 8-bit computers including P:R: Connection, U.S. Doubler, and SpartaDOS. Later, they created several upgrades for the Atari ST and Amiga computers, and the CatBox networking hardware for the Atari Jaguar.
According to a 1987 article in Antic magazine, "Tom Harker started ICD in his basement in Rockford, Illinois, with Mike Gustafson, who then lived in Minneapolis. The company was incorporated in 1984, with Harker as president and Gustafson as vice president in charge of development."
This interview took place on January 19, 2016.
Teaser quote:
“It started out, when we did the U.S. Doublers, I was assembling all of those myself and we were baking them in our oven. We potted them in epoxy so people wouldn’t copy it. ... I remember baking them to cure the epoxy in my oven. My wife loved it.”

Surprised you found him for an interview after the fuster-cluck that happened with the Jaguar CatBoxes years back. Dude just up and disappeared with a few thousand dollars.

I wish Tom's interview could have happened under better circumstances. He was obviously distracted and unprepared, and I felt like Kevin should have had a little more ICD research in front of him to help Tom remember things.

It was Bob Puff who ended up with the Archiver rights, btw.

Well it was still a very good interview with Mr Harker. Probably a hard guy to nail down so you take what you can get... I'd like to have known more about the planned 80 column port on the Multi I/O.

Personally I'm a huge Atari 8-bit ICD product fanboy... own most of 'em and never was disappointed. Got to meet Mike, Tom and Keith Ledbetter at a couple of Atarifests too...

I was surprised to hear him say they just didn't think there was a market for a DOS... SpartaDOS blew me away and to me it's easily the best and most versatile DOS available on Atari.

There were many more UD Doublers out there than actually sold by ICD... many ripped off versions were sold all over the place. In my area guys would sell you a US Doubler clone for around $30 installed. Out of the three 1050's I have left I'm not sure if they are originals or clones (I guess I just have to look for the blob of epoxy straight from Tom's home oven).

I was surprised to hear him say they just didn't think there was a market for a DOS... SpartaDOS blew me away and to me it's easily the best and most versatile DOS available on Atari.

The problem was that few people would actually pay for an upgraded DOS because few people had power systems where Atari DOS wasn't sufficient. I knew people who bought and used SpartaDOS but I bet it was a fraction of the people who bought game software or even things like Action! Also, often times you got an upgraded DOS included when you bought 3rd party drives.

Tom Harker, ICD

Tom Harker was co-founder of ICD, a company that created many popular add-ons for the Atari 8-bit computers including P:R: Connection, U.S. Doubler, and SpartaDOS. Later, they created several upgrades for the Atari ST and Amiga computers, and the CatBox networking hardware for the Atari Jaguar.
According to a 1987 article in Antic magazine, "Tom Harker started ICD in his basement in Rockford, Illinois, with Mike Gustafson, who then lived in Minneapolis. The company was incorporated in 1984, with Harker as president and Gustafson as vice president in charge of development."
Teaser quote:
“It started out, when we did the U.S. Doublers, I was assembling all of those myself and we were baking them in our oven. We potted them in epoxy so people wouldn’t copy it. ... I remember baking them to cure the epoxy in my oven. My wife loved it.”

I was really excited when I saw Tom Harker's name pop up on my podcast playlist. I was also a huge ICD fan, owning multiple MIOs, P:R: connections, SDXs, RT8s, and such. I agree it's a bit disappointing that the interview had to take place under the "waiting in a parking lot for a Dr. appointment" circumstance. But I'd rather have this interview than none at all... thanks, Kevin!! I really hope there's an interview with Mike Gustafson in the pipeline.

It's unfortunate that Tom had several details he didn't remember, and Kevin is an admitted non-power-user so there wasn't much prompting available. Overall I'd give this one an 8 out of 10. One point subtracted for not having the details ready to prod Tom's memory. One point subtracted for ending the interview just as the conversation turned to the part in which I was most interested... the sale to Mike Hohman (Fine Tooned Engineering).

• Like 1

Peter Langston, LucasArts

Peter Langston was a founding employee at the game development company LucasArts, part of the team that created the Atari 8-bit games Ballblazer and Rescue on Fractalus. Peter composed Song Of The Grid, the memorable theme to Ballblazer. He also created the classic mainframe game Empire, and Oracle, the precursor to the Usenet Oracle (now called Internet Oracle.) Check his web site at langston.com for an interesting collection of papers, scans of LucasArts articles, and related material.
This interview took place on January 16, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"I remember at one point, some magazine said that LucasFilm has the ... best computer graphics in the game industry. And Alvy Ray Smith said that the games industry had the worst computer graphics that LucasFilm had ever done."
  • Like 1

Bob C., Software Pirate

Bob C. was an Atari software pirate in New York who went by the moniker The Missing Link.
Teaser quotes:
"It's all I wanted to do. I skipped going on vacation with my parents because I wouldn't be able to dial into these bulletin boards and see what was going on and leave messages to my friends. It just got, got like a drug."
"Sometimes I say, 'Jesus, that ate up a lost of my life, what the hell was I thinking?' But, they were such fun times."

What he said was absolutely true. I played the heck out of the games I got at first, but after a while it turns into a collecting hobby and you only want the things you don't have. The games are just currency used to trade for other games. It's kinda like the guy who has all the action figures but has never played with any of them.

Once I got to the ST, the whole pirating thing was in full swing so I never had that 'early period' with it where I cherished every game.

I knew guys who did all that stuff he was talking about and some of them got in trouble. I can't believe how many are still scared to admit it openly. I love to hear the stories though.

Anyway, I'd love for Bob C to show up here. Sounds like he really misses the old days.

• Like 1

A similar name is Rob.C - known of in the UK. He is noted for his rainbow bootloader system.

A better looking menu system is the Elton.C one which reminds of the Atari database format - looks like white paper with lines.

In New Zealand, there was Hack-Atari. While I had a short correspondence with him - he is very much like the above - whiz kid hackers of High School age, I'll guess.

Harvey

Thomas Hudson, Atari sales trainer

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-129-thomas-hudson-atari-sales-trainer

Thomas Hudson was a trainer for Atari, where he taught computer store owners and others about the Atari 8-bit computer line, and attended trade shows to show off Atari's computer products. Later he became a product manager for three products: light pen, touch tablet, and mouse.
In this interview we discuss Andrew Soderberg, whom I previously interviewed.
This interview took place on January 21, 2016.
Teaser quotes:
"And one was this little device that you plugged into the thing, and you moved it around to control the cursor. And he said "I don't know what this mouse thing is, but nobody is ever going to use a mouse on a computer.'"
"He called me up at work, and in the unmistakable voice said, 'Tom, this is Alan Alda. I've run into a little problem, and I think you're the only person that can help me. ... I've got a bunch of friends coming over tonight, I wanted to show this program off to them...'"
  • Like 1

Dave Pratt, founder of Digital Vision (ComputerEyes)

Dave Pratt was founder of Digital Vision, the company that made ComputerEyes for the Apple //, Commodore 64, and Atari 8-bit computers. ComputerEyes was a slow-scan video digitizer that plugged into the joystick port (on the Atari version). You'd connect a video camera or VCR into the ComputerEyes box, and software on your computer would create a black-and-white or greyscale version of the image on the computer screen.
This interview took place October 12, 2015. After we did this interview, Dave set up a nice web site with a history of Digital Vision and photographs of the early products, at http://www.Digital-Vision-Inc.com
Teaser quotes:
"Even just running tight machine language loops, it barely could keep up with that kind of rate pulling samples from the scan lines."
"That same signature from the very first scan -- literally the very first scan that was done by the prototype initial product -- literally, that same image was used to sign the company's checks for half a dozen years."
post-803-0-40846900-1455291222_thumb.png
  • Like 1

I don't care who does it... No offense Randy, Kevin's name just came to mind first. All I want is more info on Ataribus.

Before I had a HD crash years ago, I learned (a little) C specifically to improve upon this program. I added UltraSpeed, and double density, and I forget what all now. I used it every day between my Atari and multi-user TeleVideo CP/M system.

If I am ever able to revive the old TV stuff, I may dig into this again.

Bob Polaro

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-131-bob-polaro-atari-programmer

Bob Polaro was an Atari employee from 1978 through 1984, where he wrote several programs for Atari Program Exchange — very early programs in the APX catalog: Lemonade, Mugwump, Preschool Games, Reversi, Space Trek, and Dice Poker. He also wrote the States & Capitals and European Countries & Capitals educational programs for the Atari computers, both published by Atari. He programmed several games for the Atari 2600, including Defender and RealSports Volleyball.
This interview took place on January 22, 2016.
Teaser quote:
“At that time they were starting to request that we put in easter eggs, which kind of took the whole idea away. It was supposed to be hidden, and yet, it ended up being part of the design at some point.”
  • Like 2

Jerry Jewell, co-founder of Sirius Software

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-132-jerry-jewell-co-founder-of-sirius-software

Jerry Jewell was co-founder of Sirius Software. Sirius published many Atari titles including Alpha Shield, Capture the Flag, Fast Eddie, Gruds in Space, Sneakers, Wavy Navy, and Wayout. The company was probably best known in the Apple ][ world, but also published software for the Commodore and other platforms - more than 160 titles in all.
This interview took place October 15, 2015.
Teaser quotes:
"In the latter days it got down to where a game would sell for two weeks, three weeks, and then it would die."
"It was like the boys hadn't discovered girls yet and my job was to keep them from doing that ... Whatever it took to keep these guys off the streets and away from alcohol and women, it would keep them busy, you know? Keep them programming."
  • Like 1

Hey all. I'm starting this thread hoping to make a place to announce and discuss interviews with Atari people. This is sort of happening a little in various threads but it might be nice to wrangle it into a cohesive place.

I do a lot of interviews for the ANTIC podcast, and Randy does many, and Rob at Player/Missile, and Wade at Inverse ATASCII has done one or two. Perhaps this thread can help you find interesting interviews that you might not have listened to otherwise.

Kevin,

Have you thought about trying to get an interview with any of Jack Tramiel's sons? That could be a really interesting interview.

Kevin and Randy, are the equivalent interviews on archive.org longer than the ones on your website? If so, do you recall what was edited out of the ANTIC versions (i.e. too much talk about non-A8 platforms, merely lots of coughing, etc.)? Thanks.

I never did cut down any of mine, but I know that when we were still airing interviews as part of our regular shows, Kevin did cut down the interviews to basically leave in the most pertinent Atari 8-bit stuff for the show and then put the full interview out on archive.org. Since we went to the new format of airing the interviews separately, there is no difference between what's on the Antic feed and what's on archive.org.

Randy

ANTIC Interview 134 - Jerry Falkenhan, Finance Software

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-134-jerry-falkenhan-finance-software

Jerry Falkenhan, Finance Software

Jerry Falkenhan had three programs published by Atari Program Exchange: Family Cash Flow, Family Budget, and Family Vehicle Expense. Atari bought Family Cash Flow and Family Budget and packaged them as an Atari-branded product, Family Finances.

This interview took place on January 26, 2016.

Teaser quote:

"I get my first royalty check. I'll never forget: $35,000. I go down to Wells Fargo and they wouldn't cash the darn thing."

Edited by rkindig
  • Like 3

rkindig, on 19 Feb 2016 - 10:44 PM, said:

I never did cut down any of mine, but I know that when we were still airing interviews as part of our regular shows, Kevin did cut down the interviews to basically leave in the most pertinent Atari 8-bit stuff for the show and then put the full interview out on archive.org. Since we went to the new format of airing the interviews separately, there is no difference between what's on the Antic feed and what's on archive.org.

Randy

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I'm sure your list is already long enough, but you know who would make for a cool interview, and seems to be reasonably accessible these days? Ed Fries, regarding the games of his Atari computer programming period, which he's never really gone into detail about. I'm (selfishly) especially thinking of my favorite '80s game he created, Sea Chase.

• Like 2

Bill Rice, HYSYS

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-135-bill-rice-hysys

Bill Rice published one program in the Atari Program Exchange catalog: HYSYS, or Hydraulic Program. It was a tool that did calculations for sizing hydraulic systems and components. HYSYS first appeared winter 1982 APX catalog.

This interview took place on January 27, 2016

Teaser quote:

"So you can imagine with something like a hydraulic program, they're like 'No we've got our scientific calculators and we look really cool punching in these numbers. We're not going to get a home computer and do that.'"