IGNORED

Mr. Do?

thegamezmaster

The assist of an artist for the box artwork would be useful, then Al (amongst all the other good things he does) would be up for doing a run of these. So recommendations welcome on who would be suited to produce this.

Personally I'm not keen on the CBS/Colecovision artwork, more favouring the style used for the Atari 8-bits but actually prefer the darker colours on this C64 cover.

• Like 1

The assist of an artist for the box artwork would be useful, then Al (amongst all the other good things he does) would be up for doing a run of these. So recommendations welcome on who would be suited to produce this.

Personally I'm not keen on the CBS/Colecovision artwork, more favouring the style used for the Atari 8-bits but actually prefer the darker colours on this C64 cover.

I will throw together some samples in a day or two if you'd like?

• Like 1

Sounds good, though I've no idea what the box dimensions and best dpi for printing are?

That's ok, I've done it before, mockups first, then we can worry about the rest. Plus if Albert is releasing as mentioned above then there is some existing 5200 sized box templates, based on some of the stuff that can be seen in the store.

• Like 1

3 quick mockups, orginally based on a Berzerk image.

The first one could also work with the traditional blue stripe all the way across instead of the green bricks.

Don't worry about the back, the cover from the c64/8-bit would be fixed to remove the circle (and replace with the E monster and extended upwards.

post-38229-0-97045900-1455503312_thumb.pngpost-38229-0-17797400-1455503322_thumb.pngpost-38229-0-06320400-1455503303_thumb.png

I have a few more ideas that are different that are based on the various arcade fliers/arcade machine motifs that would look less like an Atari box and more like an independant 3rd party.

And if anyone can find me a hirez version of the C64 Datasoft box it would be helpful. I'm not a Commodore guy so I'm not familiar with a site that would have it.

post-38229-0-91129900-1455503976_thumb.pngpost-38229-0-19202100-1455503986_thumb.pngpost-38229-0-77448200-1455504001_thumb.png

Another idea on the 5200 style would be to move the green bricks up a bit on the front and back, move the screen shot/tv to the middle of the back. And maybe remove the hanging Universal logo.

• Like 3

Looks like Wraithchild was able to secure a great copy of the C64 cassette version and has sent me hi rez scans that I think can work with, I probably won't get to it until the weekend. In the meantime, I'm aiming for the Jungle Hunt/Kangaroo style back of the box so I can show a couple of different screens.

post-38229-0-00084900-1456204297_thumb.jpg

I'm looking for an authentic, suitable 80's game magazine review quote for the blue box at the top...

Joystick magazine December 1983 has a Mr. Do strategy guide but I'm looking for a quote like the ones from Electronic Games that are on the back of Kangaroo and Jungle Hunt.

I couldn't find any specific issue of Electronic Games with a review using google or Archive.org's search, naturally my time could be better spent working on the box rather than reading old 80's magazines ;) , so can anyone find an issue of Electronic Games or similar magazine that would have a suitable quote?

Any review of the 8-bit version might also do.

Is it the blue ish one that can be seen at:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-mr-do_s3569.html

With the big round sticker that talks about Atari and C64 on the same disk?

I wouldn't mind some shots of the manual to see how it compares to the one from the cassette version.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The 8bit version of Mr. Do is prob one of the best home released versions - it really looks/plays well. Im not sure how good this would be with the 5200 controllers though.

I agree, I recently compared all the 8-bit ports for a video and found that the Atari 8-bit was the overall winner closest to the arcade, with C64 close behind.

The C64 version was a little wonky, running too fast in some places and a bit laggy in others. Graphically both were close though with CV a distant 3rd