IGNORED

Potential new hardware

foft

• 1 month later...

Hi, foft & all!

I'm trying the core on the MCC-216 (VGA version) and some questions came to mind:

-How can I update from the scrameta autobuilder versions? I can see the atari800core.rfb is 291KB, same as the official .arg core, but the core update menu of the MCC-216 doesn't detect it as a valid core bitstream. I also tried changing it's extension to .arg, but it's still unrecognized.

-Is it possible to enable scanlines? How? If it's not possible, could you produce a version with scanlines ON? They could be disabled with a key. I thing that for VGA version it would be the best option. On the DE1, it looks great with scanlines.

I fixed the missing mcc .arg files - I'd put in a bad version number so the command to create them was failing.

Its an option on the scandoubler, but its hardcoded to off on the mcc builds. I'll add it since its just copying a few lines from the mist build.

• Like 1

Must be something to do with Scramble type games - both this and Airstrike 1!

Please keep letting me know broken stuff - I know I'm very slow to fix but good to capture...

Edit: did you try this one? Sigh cut and paste broken on iOS 9.2:( Anyway search for tail of beta lyrae emulator and there is a thread on atariage which may work. The original copy protected disk may work too.

Edited by foft

@foft & NML32: it seems that Tail of Beta Lyrae doesn't work because this incredible Atari 800 FPGA implementation we have here is very accurate :)

So I understand things are working as they should...

The "XL gravity balls" version on the thread that foft pointed me to does work, although it lacks the fabulous intro. But it seems that the other versions shouldn't work on all hardware anyway. (at least it's what I understood from that thread).

The best part in that thread is when Philip Price himself appears and explains the tricks he used for the starfield and tittle screen :D

• 2 weeks later...

@foft: could you please build an mcc-216 version with scanlines on? I want to show the core to some friends this week and I want them to see it "as intentended". No need for an option, just a simple build with scanlines... I would do it myself but I think one can't simply do an .arg at home without additional soft components from the board manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

This new 65816 core is looking promising: https://github.com/robfinch/Cores/tree/master/FT816

It's pretty large so not possible for all platforms.

Any interest in 65816 support? If so what is the most popular memory layout and best software to test with?

I don't have an FPGA board to test with, but I think 816 support is a great idea. There are a few 816 upgrades out there for the "real" Atari, and I have one in my 800. I truly believe the 816 is the future of Atari, and we should all support it.

Edit: Support for both linear and portb RAM would be good. Throw in Axlon only if there is space in the FPGA for it.

Edited by Kyle22

I just downloaded the core from my website (PAL/VGA) and flashed it to the MCC216 then played a game of airstrike. So at least one version works!

This is embarrassing, I downloaded the cores but forgot to flash them to the MCC. Sorry false alarm. :_(

• Like 1