IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

Back in the day, this was a great little package, provided you had a DS/DD controller card, which most people did not. If I remember right there was one guy who tried this with his Myarc controller but for some reason it didn't work, but it did on another guys Myarc controller. I never found out what the problem was. Now days not many PC's even have a disk drive.

Using wordprocessing files between the PC & TI back then was interesting. I remember transferring them over the RS-232 and then converting them with the DF128/80 program, and then having to perform extra formatting, it was time consuming! Now days it only takes a couple of seconds, just view them with TI99Dir, copy and paste the TI text into the PC format document you want.

On a personal note, for what that guy wants for that cartridge, you would be further ahead by purchasing an << HDX >> modified RS-232 for less money from Arcadeshopper. It would give you a lot more utility for less.

For anybody looking to find a few TMS9900 microprocessor chips, here are some from the second source that TI was required to have for military sales. They are S9900 chips and can be used to replace the 9900 without any problems. A group of four is only $9.95 plus shipping. I use this seller a lot--and I've almost never had problems with items they sold (their 27C160s only work in 16-bit mode, but that is an almost universal problem with the die revision they have on hand--and this is the only problem item they've ever provided me).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

From a purely pragmatic standpoint, if we get nuked again (either by the idiots running the civilian power plants or the Norks figuring out how to build a guidance package) ...

... keeping a working CPU in a console would be the least of my worries. Plus that would just harden the CPU itself; everything else would fry. Better to build a Faraday cage in the basement ...

(tongue very firmly in cheek)

• Like 2

I can see the TI 99/4A becoming the sole repository of human knowledge in a post-apocalyptic world. That's a LOT of floppies...

I suspect that David Miscavige is twisted enough to think that a single TI, with a daisy-chain of Jim's PEB splitters, connecting a bevy of PEBs with battery-backed RAM disks (with DSRs in RAM), would be *exactly* what LRH would have done to preserve his blatherings for posterity icon_smile.gif

• Like 1