IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

With learning that my memory on my 130XE is most likely faulty because it doesn't like anything above 64k, is the Sally chip the only thing needing to be removed for this upgrade? If so, maybe that can fix my issues while also upgrading my memory so I don't have to get another 130XE replacement board.

post-985-0-26242000-1462196697_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Some of this configuration talk is above my head. I guess what I'd like to know boils down to, is there a configuration where my 600 XL will be fully compatible with original 400/800/800XL software requiring more than 16K of memory? I'm thinking, put the 48K floppy in my 1050, turn everything on like normal, and have the 600 XL operate just like an 800 XL with more memory? My main concern is having something to act as a day to day replacement for my current 800, which I would like to preserve by using less.

Since the 65816 is not completely 6502 compatible, it will most probably not be able to work as your day to day replacement.

Depending on your software i'd expect 80 to 95% compatibility.

I've been using a 65c816 much of the time for more than 5 years. For me, it has been really rare to find something that won't work. I can't recall any current hardware that didn't work. Still, there are games out there that probably won't run properly. Based on my experiences, I'd say 95% is probably a closer estimate. But that said, having a totally stock machine available is always a good idea.

Edit: I remembered that the "C" version of the IDE+2 did not work with the 65C816. "D" version works fine.

-Larry

Hi,

Simius, that looks very nice!

Is the XE layout different? I guess its reversed, so RAM and FPGA is on the other side of the 65816.

IF SO, i would like to alter my order to XE version, it would fit better in my Laptop, then.

Greets,

Beetle

• Like 1

Connection set beetwen CPLD and other ICs is different in XE and XL version, but the internal structure is identical. XE version is also a few milimeters higher because the 65816 is in socket.

Would you change your order to XE?

Edited by Simius

Hi Simius-

Thanks for the pic. Nice, compact upgrade with a minimum of ribbon cable! "Svelte!"

Not necessary to remove the OS chip & BASIC? May be unrelated, but I see that your test machine has what appears to be a couple of 27c512 windowless proms installed. And co-incidently (?), you originally mentioned that the upgrade would have 8 flashable OS + BASIC.

-Larry