IGNORED

The Official ULTIMATE PONG thread - IntellivisionRevolution

Rev

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for 1 more game tester if anyone is interested. Not just someone wanting an early look at the game or a free ROM. (although I will release the ROM free later) But someone that can give some time to test.

Post in here why you are the guy. :grin:

I did not read the whole thread, but is this game really get a release? In fact I would like a simple pong, because unfortunately Paddle Party wasnt as good as I hoped, but I would prefer such a primitive game in a collection with 2-3 other games like that to be honest.

I did not read the whole thread, but is this game really get a release? In fact I would like a simple pong, because unfortunately Paddle Party wasnt as good as I hoped, but I would prefer such a primitive game in a collection with 2-3 other games like that to be honest.

IMO, that would discrace the legacy of Pong, the first video game. Just to toss it on a compilation cart with games like combat and night driver or othello. (random examples)

But this does/will have over 15 different modes of gameplay variations. I felt that was enough to give it alot of replay value.

I appriciate your differing opinion though. thanks!

• Like 1

IMO, that would discrace the legacy of Pong, the first video game. Just to toss it on a compilation cart with games like combat and night driver or othello. (random examples)

But this does/will have over 15 different modes of gameplay variations. I felt that was enough to give it alot of replay value.

I appriciate your differing opinion though. thanks!

I'm with Ignorama. This is a perfect opportunity for releasing classic Pong, but including other classic games. You don't have to "just toss it on a compilation cart"; you could make Pong the shining star, but include additional non-Pong games with it. I'm thinking compelling titles like Space Invaders, Space Wars, the original Star Wars arcade, TRON light cycles (a.k.a. blockade :lol:), Sea Wolf, Sky Diver, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Breakout, etc.

Sure, they are all from different times, but they're all classics from the first generation of arcade games.

-dZ.

I'm with Ignorama. This is a perfect opportunity for releasing classic Pong, but including other classic games. You don't have to "just toss it on a compilation cart"; you could make Pong the shining star, but include additional non-Pong games with it. I'm thinking compelling titles like Space Invaders, Space Wars, the original Star Wars arcade, TRON light cycles (a.k.a. blockade :lol:), Sea Wolf, Sky Diver, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Breakout, etc.

Sure, they are all from different times, but they're all classics from the first generation of arcade games.

-dZ.

By the time I commisioned all these other games to be programmed, it would be 2020 and the cost of programming would hit 15,000. I guess I could always charge 150.00 per copy.

By the time I commisioned all these other games to be programmed, it would be 2020 and the cost of programming would hit 15,000. I guess I could always charge 150.00 per copy.

:lol:

Seriously, that's a good point. What I was thinking was that the same programmer who makes Pong, can make another game. Not necessarily a big anthology, but at least two classic games with variations. These are simple games originally made without microprocessors. That means that creating a simple engine for one sort of lends itself for the others.

I'm not saying it's easy. I'm just saying it is most likely easier than some of the modern and more sophisticated games you've released so far. They also do not take that much ROM space either.

But you're right: if making a three game anthology is going to take five years, then release the games as they come out. I just feel that something like Pong (regardless of how many Pong-ish variations it includes), it's not really worth the same price as a more complex and sophisticated game -- even if the collateral is just as costly.

-dZ.

So, I had a bunch of my kids friends over the other week. Ages ranging from 6 to 17. 7 kids. I asked them, who wants to play Pong...the first video game ever made.

A few responses were like:

what's pong?

Yes

Sure

I've heard of it

We all played for about an hour and half. They loved it. I got to see the fun they had playing pong for the first time in their life. Going through all the levels, fine tuning the colors and settings, etc etc. It was a hit. That's what its about for me.

This is Ultimate Pong....

Not Pong & Friends.

;-)

• Like 7

So, I had a bunch of my kids friends over the other week. Ages ranging from 6 to 17. 7 kids. I asked them, who wants to play Pong...the first video game ever made.

what's pong?

Yes

Sure

I've heard of it

We all played for about an hour and half. They loved it. I got to see the fun they had playing pong for the first time in their life. Going through all the levels, fine tuning the colors and settings, etc etc. It was a hit. That's what its about for me.

Not Pong & Friends.

;-)

Word out of the indentured testing colony is that there will be some extra stuff included in the first x number of packages...

We looked into including 98% pure gold replicas of Pong paddles, but Rev is a cheapskate...

what's pong?

Yes

Sure

I've heard of it

Not Pong & Friends.

;-)

That is awesome! I can't wait for my son and his friends and cousins to give this a try. I must admit I was a bit hesitant that this wouldn't warrant a full release until Rev showed me all the variations and I must say I'm really looking forward to it now as it looked really fun.
  • Like 1