IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

More than I'd pay but someone might be interested in this analog rgb compatible lcd I have one of these on my Geneve..works great!

I found ebay offers for a Syncmaster 940 mp (also with SCART input) - I suppose this should also be good for the Geneve?

• Like 1

I found ebay offers for a Syncmaster 940 mp (also with SCART input) - I suppose this should also be good for the Geneve?

imho scart=analog rgb capability.. so if it has that then you should be good. Is the 940 a widescreen? the 910 is a 4:3 monitor which is why I picked it so you don't have squashed video

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Yummy! Chocolate and marshmallows not included :)

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2820309321011?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=282030932101&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I have what is probably a stupid question, although I'm man enough to admit my ignorance...

I know these things were, "Totally Rad" BITD, but are they really that useful anymore? Hasn't almost everything already been ripped? Can't a lot of this stuff be done with an UberGrom and a cheap burner, or am I really missing something important other than the 'collector value'?

The real difference between this and the new cartridge boards (including the UberGROM) is that it is instantly and immediately mutable. You load the desired cartridge file into it and you execute it. The only thing that is currently available that does something like this is the HSGPL card--and I guarantee you that most of the users of that card love them. . .

I will eventually get around to duplicating the Wiesbaden Super Modul II, as I have permission to do that, but it is a bit further down my projects list. That one will do everything the GRAM Kracker does--except duplicate console GROMs, but it does have four RAM banks instead of two, so it will do some things the GRAM Kracker won't.

• Like 2

Haha! Let me go find a sharpie and some white tape, I'm pretty sure I have some "prototypes" laying around to.

One man's rarety is another man's re-usable cartridge shell.

Although I will say that, coming from Blaine, I would wager this really is a prototype for TEII 1200. He does have a massive collection of rarely seen TI items (of course having worked at TI during the 4A's heyday helps)

(and I did just place a higher bid than this for a cartridge of Jim Reiss' « Tris », so beauty (and value) is in the eye of the beholder)

• Like 1

It is definitely an original TE-II 1200 prototype board and case, he just made a new label for it after he and I determined that the board inside wasn't a standard TE-II GROM set (the label it came with was long gone when he pulled this one out of his closet). The board and ROMs match mine--and I received that one from Pete Jaden, one of the engineers on the 99/8 development team.

• Like 2

It is definitely an original TE-II 1200 prototype board and case, he just made a new label for it after he and I determined that the board inside wasn't a standard TE-II GROM set (the label it came with was long gone when he pulled this one out of his closet). The board and ROMs match mine--and I received that one from Pete Jaden, one of the engineers on the 99/8 development team.

Glad you cleared that up. I was curious about it and was going to ask, but, as said above, the seller usually has up-and-up stuff, so I applied that cred to the auction and concluded it is legit.

Other than as an expensive novelty item to attract and catch dust, what practical application or use could this thing possibly have?

It's obvious the seller values it highly, but I guess I must be a little dense because whatever it is, it's escaping me.

For less than his opening bid, a guy can get something really useful, like one of Ksarul's new 1024K Super AMS cards.

Other than as an expensive novelty item to attract and catch dust, what practical application or use could this thing possibly have?

But my friend, you have said elsewhere in these forums that the "Collector Bug" has never really stuck with you, so it stands to reason that you would question the value of such a purchase - and you are 100% correct, that value has nothing to do with use or application...

When Espial (a particularly unimpressive little port of a pedestrian scrolling shooters) came up for auction last year, I dropped out when the bids exceeded $200 CAD (but I did stick with it until then). I can promise you I would never have played it (and if I did want to take it out for a spin, I already have several copies on various compilation disks). BUT I was willing to pay a couple hundred dollars to "have" it.

My current "Holy Grail" item is the cartridge and manual of the original Terminal Emulator (not II), and if there's ever been a useless purchase, that has got to be it. But it would get me close to completing the entire TI-released cartridge collection (down to 6 remaining), so I'll happily pay a high price for it when it does eventually get posted.

Two months ago my primary computer's GPU died, my television is in dire need of replacing, and the little lady is screaming for a new vaccuum cleaner...with all these pulls on my already strained wallet, what am I doing instead? I'm spending hundreds of dollars on 35 year old computer cartridges.

If you try to associate use or purpose to such things, you'll never find an answer. The reasons are far more visceral than logical. (Think Heroin addiction and you get close)

• Like 1

Two months ago my primary computer's GPU died, my television is in dire need of replacing, and the little lady is screaming for a new vaccuum cleaner...with all these pulls on my already strained wallet, what am I doing instead? I'm spending hundreds of dollars on 35 year old computer cartridges.

Dead GPU, pfuh, get one from a bin at the Goodwill or flea market. A TV needing replacement means still working, and besides, it is an ancillary entertainment device. A new vacuum is not going to end the screaming, it will just move to a new topic. So buy those carts, man!! ;)

A new vacuum is not going to end the screaming...

OMG, I know, right?!?

And while I could probably find a new wife (I hear Russia has some great export models available), replacing Spot Shot or Tris might prove far more difficult.

• Like 3

If Spot Shot and Tris are pets then, HA! I hear ya! Btw, let me caution you against the Russian idea. My wife has a very close friend who went that route. It did NOT work out so well for him. He ended up costing him to bring her family here to and as he puts it, being married to her is like "Having a Ferrari in the garage that you never get to drive".

:D

OMG, I know, right?!?

And while I could probably find a new wife (I hear Russia has some great export models available), replacing Spot Shot or Tris might prove far more difficult.

being married to her is like "Having a Ferrari in the garage that you never get to drive

I already have an Edsel* that I no longer get to drive, so a Ferrari would still be a major upgrade. (and at my age, I don't need to drive it that often... it would suffice to simply look at it parked in the garage from time to time)