IGNORED

ATR Tools

AtariGeezer

For Phantom Sectors you would need to display something like P15 as in Spy vs. Spy on Track#1 Sector#1.

That would need a display width of (18*5) 90 characters minimum per track for a uniform display (which the current display wouldn't fit), so instead I would just display a "p" to signify a Phantom Sector and show the Sector Count as you moved the mouse over that sector or probably after clicking on it...

Ah, OK.

I was thinking of just one character per sector and for phantoms one hex-digit showing the number of sectors (accepting the seldom shortcoming that it is not possible to show more than 15 phantoms of the same sector).

Selfish as I am, I would like to have it for documentation purposes (where I cannot hover the mouse over something).

;)

Ah, OK.

I was thinking of just one character per sector and for phantoms one hex-digit showing the number of sectors (accepting the seldom shortcoming that it is not possible to show more than 15 phantoms of the same sector).

Selfish as I am, I would like to have it for documentation purposes (where I cannot hover the mouse over something).

;)

Well, if you can show me a good design of a sector layout using a phantom sector with a count >15, I'll implement it :)

How about the following?

O (bold) used sector

. empty sector

2-9A-I 2-18 phantoms of the same sector number

# more than 18 phantoms

Bad states (all in inverse color):

blank missing sector
d deleted sector

c bad crc

w weak bits

e extended data

l lost data

If there are phantom sectors with bad state then invert the phantom-count as well.

• Like 1

How about the following?

O (bold) used sector

. empty sector

2-9A-I 2-18 phantoms of the same sector number

# more than 18 phantoms

Bad states (all in inverse color):

blank missing sector

d deleted sector

c bad crc

w weak bits

e extended data

l lost data

If there are phantom sectors with bad state then invert the phantom-count as well.

This is what my preliminary version looks like:

post-26874-0-35940500-1463771457_thumb.jpg

The colors still need tweaking...

Edited by AtariGeezer
  • Like 3

Why don't you omit the brackets and rotate it by 90 degrees? That way the whole disk fits in one window without the need to scroll.

And I believe it would be more readable without the brackets.

I prefer seeing how many phantoms there are instead of just a "p".

I found a bug in the current version:

If you drag&drop a file onto atrtools.exe, it will leave back a file atari.fon in the directory with the disk image you opened.

The colors still need tweaking...

Still rubbing my eyes :-D

• Like 1

If it was rotated by 90 degrees, you would still need to reserve space for 120 to 160 characters wide: "p18" for 18 P)hantom Sectors, plus a space in-between, otherwise it would be a jumbled mess by showing "p02p02p04p02p02 - b b b b b b b b". You would still need 3-4 characters per sector for a uniform display.

You will be able to Tab-Back to the "Track View" to see what those Phantom Sectors are...

Yeah, it's still dropping F)ont Bombs now and then :)

How about accomodating colorblind people? And, besides, many utilities like this have configurable color coding. Shouldn't be that hard to implement.

I'm also rather severely colour blind. I think that's why I liked the dark black, with saturated R, G, B on it.

Phantom Sectors are...

Great work, just a semantic comment ...

The most common term for what you are calling phantom sectors is "double" or "duplicate" sectors.

I know there is no official or formal terminology here. But if you check the manuals for the three most important copy protected copiers (Archiver by Spartan, SuperArchiver by CSS, and Happy), you will see they don't use phantom. Most other platforms also use double or duplicate sectors. And also phantom sectors sometimes was used for sectors with weak bits.

I think the term phantom was used by the book Copy Protection Techniques?

Well, anyway, it's just semantics ...

Great work, just a semantic comment ...

The most common term for what you are calling phantom sectors is "double" or "duplicate" sectors.

I know there is no official or formal terminology here. But if you check the manuals for the three most important copy protected copiers (Archiver by Spartan, SuperArchiver by CSS, and Happy), you will see they don't use phantom. Most other platforms also use double or duplicate sectors. And also phantom sectors sometimes was used for sectors with weak bits.

I think the term phantom was used by the book Copy Protection Techniques?

Well, anyway, it's just semantics ...

Yep, I know. that was just a reference for DjayBee to see:) I'll be changing that tonight with the correct term...

Yep, I know. that was just a reference for DjayBee to see:) I'll be changing that tonight with the correct term...

ROFL

We always talked of duplicate sectors here in Germany. Only when I recently saw that everywhere else people are using the term phantom sectors, I changed this.

:-D

And yes, the new layout looks fine.

I have two more feature requests.

*beg*beg* ;)

• Being able to define the position of the VTOC for disks with a non-standard format (see attachment with a VTOC at sector 362)
  • Export one or all files from an image

TNX

1). Yep, and also the first Directory Sector.

2). Currently you can Right-Click on a file and Extract it, but I'll see about Extracting Multiple Files...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello AtariGeezer,

From the first post here.

I have the latest version wich instal the program it start in the background of windows manager i see that is running but no window.

I have all so used windows complicatie settings that it runs as a win xp.

i hope therexis a fix i like your program.

Greetings Marco