IGNORED

TransKey-II in development

mytek

Stuffing all the extensions to my Ataris, I already learn enough ;-)

I just balk at shelling out > 50 euros for a PIC programmer just for the Transkey. I'd rather have someone give me kit and let me solder everything together without any programming.

Yep I hear you on the learning enough aspect ;). My brain has only so much non-volatile memory to spare, and even that is suffering from bit rot (now I know how old EPROMS feel). And as Smokeless Joe pointed out, Fuji-Man has been kind enough to run off small batches of these. So if you want one assembled, and don't have any solder techs close by, you might want to give him a shout. His will come ready to go, no programmer required.

As far as programming the PIC, there is a DIY option for that as well, and it shouldn't cost 50 euros. But of course you've got to gather together the components and assemble it. And the cool thing is, that it uses something you already have... an Atari 8-Bit computer.

4Rp6XIY.jpg

Go to Joy2PIC ICSP Programmer PCB Order Page

And when you have that assembled, and have connected the 5 wires from the programmer to the PIC16F1847 chip, then all you'll need is the burn code for the latest TK-II version: TKprog_V1_4.atr

vQa0Na4.png

The ATR file is self loading, so all you have to do is turn on your computer, let the file load, and then hit START to program the chip.

- Michael

Hello,

I also have a couple of TransKey II all put together and ready to go. I also have some JOY2PIC all assembled and ready to go. PM me or call Bates Motel BBS and send me specifics.

-MacRorie

• Like 1

A question was asked in a PM that I think I'll answer here for everyone's benefit.

The question: How does the Caps Lock key really work on the PS/2 keyboard implementation in TK-II?

In order for TK-II to better mimic the way a keyboard works on a PC, it was necessary to approach this issue in a totally different way as compared to the stock Atari keyboard. The big difference is that the PC's Shift key will always reverse the state of Caps Lock. So for starters let me review how a PC keyboard works in regards to Caps Lock and Shift...

PC Keyboard

Caps Lock ON (No Shift): All alpha characters print in upper case (same as Atari keyboard).

Caps Lock ON (w/Shift): All alpha characters print in lower case.

Caps Lock OFF (No Shift): All alpha characters print in lower case (same as Atari keyboard).

Caps Lock OFF (w/Shift): All alpha characters print in upper case (same as Atari keyboard).

--- Shift also reverses the Numeric Pad state ---

Num Lock ON (No Shift): Numbers

Num Lock ON (w/Shift): Navigation

Num Lock OFF (No Shift): Navigation

Num Lock OFF (w/Shift): Numbers

Please note the action marked in RED. If the Atari is in a Caps Locked state, pressing Shift makes no difference, the alpha characters will remain in upper case no matter what. Since my goal was to mimic how the PS/2 keyboard works on a PC, this action was undesirable. So what to do? well I opted to have the Caps Lock key on the PS/2 keyboard only toggle the shifted or non-shifted state of the alpha characters. It does not change the actual Caps Lock state within the Atari (you can press it all you want and the Atari's internal Caps Lock state will remain unchanged).

So the first thing that had to occur was just after power-up, TK-II issues a 'real' Caps Lock key press to the Atari. This puts the Atari in a lower case mode. From this point on, pressing Caps Lock on the PS/2 keyboard will simply switch between 'Shifting' or 'Not Shifting' the alpha characters (if you go into the XL/XE keyboard test you will see that with the Caps Lock LED ON, a shift is automatically added to each alpha key press). Now since it is important to maintain a 'sync' between the PS/2's Cap Lock state and the Atari's Cap Lock state, hitting the reset button on the Atari will cause TK-II to once again issue another 'real' Caps Lock key press to the Atari in order to sync everything up again. Now in the event where some programs might not play nice, and this Caps Lock action gets out of sync, by pressing ALT+ Caps Lock together a 'real' Caps Lock key press is sent to the Atari, thereby 're-syncing' this action between the PS/2 keyboard and the Atari computer.

My reasons for taking this approach was actually quite simple. Since I, and obviously a lot of other people, will be switching between working on a PC (or MAC) and their Atari. I felt it made more sense to keep things as much the same as possible, thereby easing the transition. Call me silly, but that's what I had in mind when I did this, and at least for me, it really takes out a lot of confusion.

So with all that said, here's the PS/2 TK-II keyboard function map...

7634582_orig.png

- Michael

EDIT: Please note that when leaving the XL/XE Self Test Menu, the Atari gets a 'Soft' reset which TK-II is unaware of, so this in itself will cause TK-II Caps Lock state to be out of sync. Pressing ALT + Caps Lock once, will re-sync everything again.

Edited by mytekcontrols

New TK-II Firmware Update almost ready for showtime

I've made several changes which should improve the TK-II experience. But I'll hold off for a bit on releasing it until I am sure no new bugs have been born in the process. here's a list of the current revisions...

OS Version: 1.5 (preliminary)
File: TK-II-OS_v1_5.hex
Date: 5/19/2016

• Assigned Atari 'inverse' key function to the PS/2 tilde (~) key, while still leaving the previous F11 assignment, thereby giving the PS/2 keyboard two 'inverse' key equivalents. This better matches up with previous generation PS/2 to Atari keyboard interface adapters like the AKI or KRH.

• Assigned 'Insert Mode' toggle to ALT+Insert key on the PS/2 keyboard. This really made more sense than the previous key assignment which was ALT+I, although that will also be retained for backwards compatibility with previous versions of TK-II.

• Added new hard coded macro. ALT+B will now send the string "BASIC" with a return at the end. This will be useful in Spartados for exiting to the programming language.

• Added Ultimate 1 Meg 'Setup Menu' launch key, ALT+F2. By pressing and holding this key combination, you will enter the U-1meg configuration setup menu (assuming you have a U-1meg installed). Once the setup menu appears, you can release the keys. Note: This feature supports the HELP+RESET default setting of the U-1meg. If this is changed from HELP to START in the U-1meg setup, then START+RESET would be the other way to enter.

• Arrow key fix. This allows for a more logical usage of the arrow keys on the PS/2 keyboard vs the Atari's stock keyboard. Basically when TK-II is in its power-up default arrow mode, TK-II will send out the CTRL+Arrow equivalents to the Atari without actually having to use CTRL. What has been 'fixed' is to allow the non-CTRL'ed arrow key characters (-=+*) to be sent when the PS/2 keyboard's CTRL+Arrow keys are pressed together. So in essence TK-II's CTRL key action in combination with the Arrow keys, will always be to swap from either arrows to characters (-=+*) no matter what TK-II's 'Arrow Mode' is set to. So by default, TK-II really works in reverse fashion when it comes to the arrow keys. Normally this provides for a better cursor positioning experience when navigating across the screen. However some programs such as a few word processors, kinda do what TK-II does by default, and eliminate the need to press CTRL in combination with the arrow keys. For those situations you have two choices, 1) use CTRL or 2) toggle TK-II's arrow key action by pressing ALT+A which makes it the same as the Atari. In either case using CTRL+Arrow will swap back and forth between characters (-=+*) or arrows.

• Added fast move capability. To more quickly traverse the screen with the arrow keys, a double stepping feature has been added. By using ALT in combination with the arrow keys, a very quick double move will occur in the direction of the arrow. This move is much faster than what can be done by simply pressing an arrow key twice. The way it's able to do this is by utilizing both the original cursor positioning arrows along with the 1200XL F1-F4 navigational key codes which are integral to either an XL or XE OS. Because of the way the debounce is handled in the Atari, trying to send identical keys in rapid succession through POKEY will only yield a single key press instead of the intended two. To get around this, you can first send a normal arrow rapidly followed by the 1200XL F1-F4 equivalent. Of course there will be some programs that won't recognize the 1200XL F1-F4 keys, so this fast stepping will not work. And obviously if you are not using an XL or XE OS, or an older OS that has been modified to recognize these extra keys it will not work either.

Please note; Some programs and/or hardware use special key sequences to enter setup menus, ect. which might not be supported on the TK-II (at least not yet). Because I'm not rich enough or perhaps it is more that I haven't found the time, I don't have all the possible upgrades for the A8 at my disposal so I might not know what is missing. And sometimes as I did with the 'ALT+F2' U-1meg Menu launch key sequence, that key sequence might be different than what would be done on a stock Atari keyboard. If you have a hardware upgrade that has special requirements not met by TK-II, please let me know and I'll try to figure out a way to integrate it. Perhaps even in this revision before its release.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

The U1MB hotkey can now be changed to Start+Reset (from the usual Help+Reset), although I should imagine it's left at the default in 99 per cent of cases.

Yeah I was thinking that most people would leave it as HELP+RESET (I did), which will work from ALT+F2 in the newest TK-II rev. Never thought to change it to START+RESET, but just tried it and that also works from TK-II. So two different ways to go. Thanks for the heads up.

- Michael

Woo! I successfully tested the TransKey-II on an Atari 400! It's not a full installation yet because I don't know where to hook up the function key wires (I'll figure it out eventually), but it sure beats the membrane keyboard.

Looks like I was a little too optimistic there. I can't seem to figure out where to hook up the wires for the function keys (Reset, Option, Select, Start). I could always do without, the function keys on the membrane keyboard work just fine, but it'd be really cool if I get get the whole install to work.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Looks like I was a little too optimistic there. I can't seem to figure out where to hook up the wires for the function keys (Reset, Option, Select, Start). I could always do without, the function keys on the membrane keyboard work just fine, but it'd be really cool if I get get the whole install to work.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Well I can't give you specifics if you are looking for non-chip equivalent connections (going to a connected component or via, not directly to an IC chip). But here is something that might help.

9DouHeO.png

Of course all of these connections could be made parallel with the actual Atari Console switches themselves, or possibly traced to a connected component (i.e., resistor). Usually the switches don't connect directly to GTIA, but instead go through an inline resistor. Soldering to this resistor is better and safer than directly to the GTIA chip. You can make the connections to either side of that inline resistor, TK-II doesn't care. As for the Reset connection, the actual reset circuit varies between different series machines, so the best bet is to either attach to the reset switch itself, or once again to a resistor or other component that connects to it.

Hope that helps :)

- Michael

It helps a lot! Thank you!

What kind of lack of safety is there with hooking directly to the GTIA chip? I cobbled together a temporary connection, connecting the wires directly to the appropriate GTIA pins, which worked well for Start and Select. I tried connecting Reset to GTIA pin 15 (console sw 3, according to the field service manual) but that didn't do much.

My connection to the POKEY socket keeps coming loose, though, so my tests might not be very good. The 40 pin DIP socket I used instead of the breakaway pin assembly just doesn't have the reach to make a consistently reliable connection. Time to explore some other options.

Edited by Smokeless Joe

What kind of lack of safety is there with hooking directly to the GTIA chip? I cobbled together a temporary connection, connecting the wires directly to the appropriate GTIA pins, which worked well for Start and Select. I tried connecting Reset to GTIA pin 15 (console sw 3, according to the field service manual) but that didn't do much.

My connection to the POKEY socket keeps coming loose, though, so my tests might not be very good. The 40 pin DIP socket I used instead of the breakaway pin assembly just doesn't have the reach to make a consistently reliable connection. Time to explore some other options.

If you know what you are doing soldering wise, there really isn't a problem with soldering directly to the GTIA chip. However if your soldering skills are not so good, as in a beginner, I wouldn't recommend it. But to keep the heat conduction to a minimum, it would be best to do this where the pins are normally soldered to the board (from the backside). And if the GTIA chip is socketed, remove it prior to doing the soldering.

Unless I'm mistaken, the 400 has a power-up reset circuit that should work for our purpose. It appears to be using one of the left over buffers in the 4050 chip (with the others acting as a simple luminance video DAC).

c8oDPn8.png

By connecting in just past the RC circuit, you should be able to get a proper reset from the TK-II.

Hopefully that does the trick for you :)

- Michael

TK-II Firmware Version 1.5 ready for BETA test

Here's the auto loading JOY2PIC Flashing ATR: TKprog_V1_5(BETA).atr

And here is the raw hex file (if you wish to use a different programming method): TK-II-OS_V1_5(BETA).hex.zip

When this version has been verified, I'll be adding it and the FlowCode source files to my website for download.

Changes and/or additions:

OS Version: 1.5 (BETA)
File: TK-II-OS_v1_5.hex
Date: 5/24/2016

- Assigned Atari 'inverse' key function to the PS/2 keyboard tilde (~) key.

- Assigned 'Insert Mode' toggling to PS/2 keyboard ALT+Insert keys.

- Added new hard coded macros. ALT+B will now send the string "BASIC" with a return at the end.
  This will be useful in Spartados for exiting to the programming language. ALT+C will issue the 'CAR'
  command to exit Spartados and execute the cartridge.

- Added SELECT-on-BOOT (XEGS GAME BOOT) setting, which when enabled (ON) will hold the SELECT key down
  during the power-up cycle. In an XEGS that will cause the built-in game (Missile Command) to load and
  run (or whatever is in the active Game Slot of an Ultimate 1 Meg). ALT+G will show the current state
  as either ON or OFF, and CTRL+ALT+G will toggle it. This setting is stored in TK-II's non-volatile memory.

- Added Ultimate 1 Meg 'Setup Menu' launch function to the PS/2 keyboard F12 key. By pressing this key,
  you will enter the U-1meg configuration setup menu (assuming you have a U-1meg installed).
  Note: This feature supports the HELP+RESET default menu entry setting of the U-1meg. If this is changed
  from HELP to START in the U-1meg setup, then START+RESET would be the other entry method.

- Arrow key fix. This allows for a more logical usage of the arrow keys on the PS/2 keyboard vs the Atari's
  stock keyboard. Basically when TK-II is in its power-up default arrow mode, TK-II will send out the
  CTRL+Arrow equivalents to the Atari without actually having to use CTRL. What has been 'fixed' is to allow
  the non-CTRL'ed arrow key characters (-=+*) to be sent when the PS/2 keyboard's CTRL+Arrow keys are pressed
  together. So in essence TK-II's CTRL key action in combination with the Arrow keys, will always be to swap
  from either arrows to characters (-=+*) no matter what TK-II's 'Arrow Mode' is set to. So by default,
  TK-II really works in reverse fashion when it comes to the arrow keys. Normally this provides for a better
  cursor positioning experience when navigating across the screen. However some programs such as a few word
  processors, kinda do what TK-II does by default, and eliminate the need to press CTRL in combination with
  the arrow keys. For those situations you have two choices, 1) use CTRL or 2) toggle TK-II's arrow key action
  by pressing ALT+A which makes it the same as the Atari. In either case using CTRL+Arrow will swap back and
  forth between characters (-=+*) or arrows.

- Added fast move capability. To more quickly traverse the screen with the arrow keys, a double stepping
  feature has been added. By using ALT in combination with the arrow keys, a very quick double move will
  occur in the direction of the arrow. This move is much faster than what can be done by simply pressing
  an arrow key twice. The way it's able to do this is by utilizing both the original cursor positioning
  arrows along with the 1200XL F1-F4 navigational key codes which are integral to either an XL or XE OS.
  Because of the way the debounce is handled in the Atari, trying to send identical keys in rapid
  succession through POKEY will only yield a single keypress instead of the intended two. To get around
  this, you can first send a normal arrow rapidly followed by the 1200XL F1-F4 equivalent. Of course
  there will be some programs that won't recognize the 1200XL F1-F4 keys, so this fast stepping will not
  work. And obviously if you are not using an XL or XE OS, or an older OS that has been modified to
  recognize these extra keys it will not work either.

- Added Caps Mode toggle to go from stock Atari Caps action (stock keyboard default) to TK-II's special
  caps mode as implemented in the previous versions. CRTL+ALT+Caps will step you through the 3 possible
  settings (saved in non-volatile memory):

[1] Atari Caps Mode
  [2] TK-II Caps Mode 1
  [3] TK-II Caps Mode 2

Setting [1] does the exact same thing as the original Atari keyboard, doing a caps key send each time
  it's pressed, and it will not indicate on the PS/2 keyboard's Caps LED.

Settings [2] and [3] put the PS/2 keyboard Caps functionality into an advanced mode and activates the
  PS/2 keyboard's Caps LED. In this mode the Caps key merely changes 'case' and does not toggle the Atari's
  Caps key. Upper and lowercase are produced by TK-II not by the Atari. Swapping from one to the other is
  also possible with the Shift key, and will work in both the Caps and non-Caps state. Since this mode
  relies on the Atari being in 'lowercase' characters, a real Atari caps key press is automatically made by
  the TK-II following a power-up sequence ('TK-II Caps Mode 1' waits for approximately 4 seconds after power
  up to send the Caps key, whereas 'TK-II Caps Mode 2' waits for 10 seconds). Pressing reset (F8) will also
  send a real Caps key within a second following the actual reset, in order to re-sync the system. Pressing
  ALT+Caps will also send a real Caps key each and every time it's pressed. It is suggested that 'Mode 2'
  be used when utilizing the U1MB with SDX enabled, or for any other situation that extends the boot-up time.

- Removed Functions: F11 will no longer produce the HELP key equivalent (use the TILDE key instead), ALT+I
  will no longer toggle the Insert Mode (use ALT+Insert instead). These changes were made towards the goal
  of setting the new standard that will be incorporated into TK-III, when it is eventually developed and
  released. TK-II's keyboard adaption will not be obsoleted by TK-III.

-------

A lot of changes occurred since the preliminary overview was released a few days back, and a lot of this came out of my experience with using TK-II with a U1MB, and also some user feedback on the previous version. Since I want the eventual release of the TK-III to be as much like it's smaller cousin TK-II in regards to the keyboard, I have opted to pull a Steve Jobs and forego absolute compatibility with previous version code. So that means that some things might disappear as in the original INVERSE and INSERT MODE Hot Key, and be reassigned to other keys as was done in this particular revision. I think keeping them around would have just cluttered up the key map for no good reason. I also made the decision to make the U1MB Menu Launch key as a single F12 entry, and feeling that it would be safer to give it some breathing room by vacating the F11 key at the same time (former INVERSE key).

Some users (including me at times) were having problems with the non-orthodox way the previous versions of TK-II dealt with the Caps key function, so this is now an option that can be set by the user to be either exactly like the Atari or use one of two TK-II specific modes, one of which is identical to before. The selection is stored in non-volatile memory.

So hopefully you guys like this new version, and that very few actual bugs are found (please report here if you do find something unusual).

- Michael

EDIT: Due to the time it takes a PS/2 keyboard to go through its power-up cycle, it isn't possible to press an hold a key on start-up as you can on the stock Atari keyboard. Hence the reason for implementing things like SELECT-on-BOOT [XEGS GAME BOOT] (CTRL+ALT+G) or OPTION-on-BOOT [DISABLE BASIC] (CTRL+ALT+O) to allow TK-II to do it instead.

Edited by mytekcontrols

Well, now don't I feel dumb? I do! I tried staring at circuit diagrams to get the function keys working on my TK-II equipped 400 when I should have been using Google.

My 4th Google hit on "Atari 400 keyboard" is Robert Noskowicz's classic article "Standard Keyboard for the Atari 400" (http://www.atariarchives.org/creativeatari/Standard_Keyboard_for_the_Atari_400.php), which gives the following diagram for how the 400 keyboard plugs into its 22 pin motherboard connector (J105):

post-36974-0-94829800-1464127434_thumb.jpg

Just make the following connections to get Atari 400 function keys to work with the TK-II:

TK-II Atari 400

J2 pin 1 J105 pin 21 (Start)

J2 pin 2 J105 pin 20 (Select)

J2 pin 3 J105 pin 19 (Option)

J2 pin 4 J105 pin 18 (Reset)

Maybe there are shorter connections somewhere, but all four of these work. Hooray!

Edited by Smokeless Joe
  • Like 1

TK-II Firmware Version 1.5 ready for BETA #2 test

Last Minute Addition - see note below...

Because not all PS/2 keyboards can do 3-key roll-over, another menu launch key has been added.

- Added MyIDE-II 'Setup Menu' launch key via the PS/2 keyboard F11 key.

By pressing this key, a simultaneous START+SELECT+OPTION console key press will occur,

which should open up the MyIDE-II setup menu if you have one installed.

Auto loading JOY2PIC Flashing ATR: TKprog_V1_5(BETA2).atr

Raw PIC16F1847 hex file: TK-II-OS_V1_5(BETA2).hex.zip

Enjoy :D

- Michael

URGENT!!! -- Last update broke something

When in standard Atari Caps Mode shift is not working on alpha characters. I'll be working on a fix for this today so please stay tuned. And I'm sorry for any inconvenience others have suffered as a result of this :_(

- Michael

TK-II Firmware Version 1.5 ready for BETA #3 test

Fixed Shift key problem, where it wasn't working correctly in Standard Atari Caps Mode.

Auto loading JOY2PIC Flashing ATR: TKprog_V1_5(BETA3).atr

Note: If you need the raw PIC16F1847 HEX file use something like MakeATR to extract it from this ATR. It's file name: TKOS15.HEX

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Now I'm working on special key combination compatibility fixes. That would be things like the console keys working simultaneously with other key presses, all CTRL+SHIFT+key mapping that makes sense, and/or comes the closest to mimicking the stock keyboard. Basically I am trying to achieve that 99% compatibility factor that I talked about for the upcoming TK-III project. Since much of the keyboard code will come from TK-II for that project, it only makes sense to give TK-II that same ability, and it also serves as an early development platform as well.

So I'm getting close to done, and there may very well be a BETA4 release by the end of the day. This will also fix a new bug that got in during the BETA development that I just saw, and that would be Select and Option inadvertently sending some shifted keys at the same time (which has been dealt with). I recently started using MacGyver's Tester program (attached to this post) that has a visual keyboard tester function built-in, that is much better than the XL/XE self test. In the earlier TK-II versions I did not have this tool, so some of the missing or incorrect key sends were not apparent to me. Also since I only use a relatively small percentage of actual Atari programs, I initially never had a problem. It's actually really hard to test every single key combination each and every time I make a code change. Maybe I should train a monkey to do it for bananas :lol:

- Michael

Download: Tester.atr

Edited by mytekcontrols

So here is a look at where version 1.5 is at for the moment ( this will soon be released as the upcoming BETA4 ). The RED arrows represent a faster or shall we say extra step for the cursor movement via an ALT+arrow key combination. CTRL+ALT+DEL will now send a SHIFT+RESET which is a Cold Start for the Q-Meg OS and some other software utilities. The console keys including RESET will now work simultaneously in combination with most any key on the keyboard, including when they are CTRL'ed, SHIFT'ed, or a combination of both. Better mapping of CTRL or CTRL+SHIFT non alpha keys has been executed, and should now more closely mimic a stock keyboard wherever possible. As mentioned earlier, F11 now does a START+SELECT+OPTION send for launching the MyIDE-II Menu, and F12 is the quick launch key for the U1MB Menu.

TK-II%20Keyboard%20Map%20v1_5.png

Previous version 1.4

TK-II%20Keyboard%20Map.png

- Michael

EDIT: A little more explanation of the Caps LED status display: When in the non-Atari Caps Mode (selected by CTRL+ALT+CAPS), this LED will be active. It will follow the state of the upper or lower case setting, and when being resynced to the Atari either during power-up or by pressing reset, it will flash letting you know that an impending send of the actual Atari Caps key will commence following a short delay. When this LED stops flashing a single Caps key send will occur and keyboard control will be handed back to the user. From that point forward the Atari will be in a lowercase mode, with all alpha character shifting done by TK-II (case determined by whether the LED is ON or OFF). The SHIFT key will reverse this state if held when pressing an alpha key. Manual resync if necessary can be done by pressing ALT+CAPS while in this special mode. Upon reverting to the Standard Atari Caps Mode, this LED will no longer be active and pressing CAPS will mimic the same action of an Atari stock keyboard.

Edited by mytekcontrols

TK-II Firmware Version 1.5 ready for BETA #4 testing

Download auto loading JOY2PIC Flashing ATR: TKprog_V1_5(beta4).atr

Note: If you need the raw PIC16F1847 HEX file use something like MakeATR to extract it from this ATR. It's file name: TKOS15.HEX

I fixed a lot of compatibility issues on this beta release, such as some control and shift+control keys being mis-mapped in the earlier releases, which have now been fixed. Also all console keys should now be working properly with other keys in combination. So I think I'm at 98% compatibility index with the stock Atari keyboard.

What doesn't work: Presently there is no way to send a shift or control key all by itself or in combination with the console keys (exception: CTRL+ALT+DEL will send a SHIFT+RESET). This has a lot to do with the approach I first took on translating from the PS/2 to the Atari key matrix in order to support the special TK-II Caps mode actions. It is so ingrained within the PIC code, that it would be quite an undertaking to reverse and take a new direction. And this is something I am presently not willing to do, especially considering how few applications or upgrades would be affected by this.

If you do a lot of jumping around between various applications or are using most word processing apps, it is probably best to leave TK-II set to Standard Atari Caps Mode. This is done by pressing CTRL+ALT+CAPS on the PS/2 keyboard, which will cycle through the 3 available options. You would want the one that says 'Atari CAPS Mode'. Whatever your selection, it will stick from that point forward, or until you decide to once again change it.

So I don't anticipate any more changes, other than fixing any bugs that I may have overlooked. Which means this will likely be the final version 1.5 release, assuming it passes real world testing. As usual please post any problems you may encounter.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

TK-II Firmware Version 1.5 BETA #5

Fix for Insert Mode Shift & Control problem caused by recent updates.

Download auto loading JOY2PIC Flashing ATR: TKprog_V1_5(beta5).atr

Note: For use with other programmers, PIC16F1847 HEX file is inside ATR. It's file name: TKOS15.HEX

- Michael

Future Code Changes...

I still have some reservations about the power-up delayed sending of one Caps key press to the Atari for Caps synchronization between the Atari and the PS/2 keyboard. the problem with this strategy, is that you never know just how long something is going to take while loading during the boot cycle, and/or when the Atari will be in a state to accept the caps signal. With this in mind I implemented two two different selectable delays (Mode 1 and Mode 2), but I can still see some situations where this might not work. So I think the saner approach would be to have TK-II come up in a ready to send Caps key mode, but require that you be the one to do it. It could simply remind you to do this by constantly flashing the caps Lock LED until you press a key (any key) and then take that as its cue to send a caps key press in order to set the Atari in lowercase mode. So basically TK would be using the computer that is you to decide when the time was right for sending the synchronization signal (most likely when the 'Ready' or drive prompt came on screen). So expect this to be implemented in Beta version 6.

Now I'll probably still keep the auto sync aspect following a warm reset, because there appears to be less variability in the timing required for this.

Of course this stuff only relates to the TK-II's Special Caps Mode, and doesn't affect anything when Standard Atari Caps Mode is in effect.

- Michael

Well, now don't I feel dumb? I do! I tried staring at circuit diagrams to get the function keys working on my TK-II equipped 400 when I should have been using Google.

My 4th Google hit on "Atari 400 keyboard" is Robert Noskowicz's classic article "Standard Keyboard for the Atari 400" (http://www.atariarchives.org/creativeatari/Standard_Keyboard_for_the_Atari_400.php), which gives the following diagram for how the 400 keyboard plugs into its 22 pin motherboard connector (J105):

attachicon.gifStandard_400_Keyboard1.jpg

Just make the following connections to get Atari 400 function keys to work with the TK-II:

TK-II Atari 400

J2 pin 1 J105 pin 21 (Start)

J2 pin 2 J105 pin 20 (Select)

J2 pin 3 J105 pin 19 (Option)

J2 pin 4 J105 pin 18 (Reset)

Maybe there are shorter connections somewhere, but all four of these work. Hooray!

I was so busy with the firmware changes I forgot to thank you for your research into the 400 console switch connections, and the subsequent posting of the information you found.

So thank you Smokeless Joe, this should prove useful.

- Michael

I'm fine with you being distracted with the firmware updates! Seriously, I struggle with a lot of these hardware upgrades, so I'm happy if my information helps anyone.

And I'm so busy trying to keep the development rolling, that I don't always have time to detail the important stuff like how do you install it, or maybe even a user manual would be nice at some point ;-) . So it's always appreciated when someone like yourself has chosen to install one of these with minimal instructions, and then takes the time to post details about what they had to do to get it to work.

- Michael

I think I may have found a way to get TK-II to only send a Shift or Control key press all by itself (no other keys pressed). Problem is I need a way to test it on the Atari. So what register would I look at with a BASIC peek to see?

- Michael