IGNORED

60 fps video using SIDE 2

phaeron

I have been experimenting with the encoders and although still more investigation required to make improvements on the colour mapping, thought I'd share some progress.

As described before in this thread, I attach these bin files as a SIDE 2 Hard Drive image within Altirra and then run associated player.

I haven't yet tried moving an image to a CF card and running this on my 800's Incognito so feedback on how they look on a TV would be helpful.

Enjoy,

Mark

ntsc_examples.zip

pal_examples.zip

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 2

NTSC Samples.. I ran all of them on Altirra, but only the all intro on CF card and real hardware. On the 800XL there was static (noise) and a small amount of flickering. It was way to short for good feel of difference between these examples and the one put out by the original thread poster. Sound voices and colors were OK.

I think I will merge all BINS and put on CF card for longer play if possible.

Edited by rdea6

• 9 months later...

I'm sorry for digging up this old topic, but I've lost to VirtualDub. I've downloaded PAL package posted by phareon, compiled encoders using Codeblock with MinGW, but I don't know how to configure properly the encoders and set the encoding options metioned by phareon. Can anyone provide me a detailed instruction? Screenshots of Virtual Dub config would be very appreciated :)

Encoding parameters are: 160x192 4:2:0 progressive YCbCr at 49.86 fps, 15.557KHz 8-bit mono audio.

These are (more or less) the steps to take:

1) Pick and prepare (if required, e.g. crop to a useful length) your chosen video.

2) Load this up in VirtualDub

3) Load the vdscript for the conversion

4) Run "save as avi..." from the File menu. I choose a consistent filename stub, <title>_<region>, e.g. "tron_ntsc", so the file is "tron_ntsc.avi".

5) Now load the avi produced (File/Open video file...)

6) From the file menu, choose Export/Raw Audio.... I append the stub with "_au" and no extension, e.g. "tron_ntsc_au"

7) From the file menu, choose Export/Raw Video.... I append the stub with "_au" and no extension, e.g. "tron_ntsc_av"
Format: 4:2:0 YCbCr planar, R.60.1, 8-bit, Y:16-235 centred

Secondary plane order: Cb/Cr (V/U)

Scanline alignment: 4 bytes

Vertical orientation: Top-down

8 ) From a command prompt, encode the audio: "encaudio60 ntsc_au < tron_ntsc_au"

9) Then encode the video: "encvideo60n ntsc_av < tron_ntsc_av"
10) Combine the to files: "mux60n ntsc_av ntsc_au tron_ntsc.bin"
You now have the hard drive image that can be mounted as a Side 2 Hard Disk within Altirra.
From the "File/Boot Image...", load the "movplay60n.obx" and the video should play.
Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Wrathchild! Scripts were enough for me to move forward, but I'll carefully read the instructions you posted as well.

As it appeared, I made much more mistakes:

• When configuring external encoders in virtual dub, I forgot to surround command line parameters with double quotes
  • I used unstable DirectShow input plugin to import MP4 video. So I decided to switch to ffmpeg plugin for virtualdub, but it didn't work on win XP

After that I successfully converted video and played it under Altirra. The converted file soon will be available here (it's PAL video): https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al-x2lbdaRKHjdlep1YlMp3VD_SOOg

Then I decided test it on real hardware. I have SIDE version 1 and two CF cards: Kingston Elite Pro 1GB (the blue one) and Alan - Bradley Industrial Standard 128MB card (yes, it's from the PLC manufacturer). To move data to I used HDDRawCopy on Windows.

Immediately after running the MOVPLAY.XEX on Atari I receive message "IDE Command error 5000 00000000". However, after few restarts of Atari it played! The video is superb, but the audio.. disappointing. During whole movie I can hear loud sound similar to shooting gun making it unpleasant to listen to. Check the recording I made during playback with my phone - it's also on Onedrive (or soon will be)

So I questions are:

• what can be done with "IDE command error"?
  • is there any chance two remove that loud "gun-like" noise from audio?
  • Like 1

I have used from post #62 of this topic: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2747884

The player comes from post #98 since it seems to be able to detect PAL/NTSC http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211689-60-fps-video-using-side-2/page-4?do=findComment&comment=2796714

For conversion I used PAL script attached by Wrathchild.

Which tool did I choose wrong?

EDIT:

And most important, what is the reason the IDE error?

Edited by grzybson

Check out these two recordings - one I a sample from Scorpions video I made, another one is from Skyfall by Wrathchild:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al-x2lbdaRKHjdoF4Y3ttr9PLORLdQ
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Al-x2lbdaRKHjdoG0asnHZZL2nocCA

These were made using mobile phone, so they are quiet. But when you play it on the earphones, you can easly hear that the level of noise is much more higher than the vocals. I am aware that some white noise is inevitable when downsampling, but when played on Altirra the difference is not so huge.

Another interesting idea came up on AtariArea. My friend Pinokio tested the video I produced and he claims that the quality of audio track is superb. He thinks that it may be caused be the CompactFlash used. He says that he had tried a dozen of cards before he found the two of them that gave satisfying results.

• Like 1

After that I successfully converted video and played it under Altirra. The converted file soon will be available here (it's PAL video): https://1drv.ms/f/s!Al-x2lbdaRKHjdlep1YlMp3VD_SOOg

I can only watch your video via Altirra as I don't own any PAL Ataris but I really enjoyed seeing it all the same. The sound *is* quite good.

This is the first rock video I've ever seen for Atari! I hope there will be more. Thanks.

For my own conversions I used the linux tools mencoder and sox and perhaps audacity. I would love to try VirtualDub but didn't then and again I don't have now a Windows machine.

I could never get rid of some ugly clipping sounds and white noise using the aforementioned tools. I'm sure it's more my lack of understanding the cause of the problem and my non-expert use of the tools than my choice tools.

p.s. Thanks for pointing the dual video standard player, MOVPLAY.XEX. I had missed seeing this before now.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1

Believe me, there will be more :) And when we find the solution for the audio, I am thinking of converting full length feature film :)

I don't complain about the audio quality on the emulator, I understand the white noise is inevitable. But check the short WAVE recordings I posted earlier (I recommend using ear phones). On real hardware the noise is much more louder than vocals, unlike the Altirra.

Someone requested Dragon's Lair video. I had actually converted the file many months earlier than the request having found it on archive.org but never had storage online. Not sure how long I'll keep it online now but here it is.

Oh, it's NTSC format and it's about 700MB

it's a raw image suitable for Altirra SIDE 2 emulation or real CF card.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 2

Dragon's Lair video is amazing through emulation... I loaded a 1gig CF card with the file (2nd CF card WORKS) with real hardware and Side 1 and side2 carts.. Some slight static and or popping noise about every 5-6 seconds but not bad enough to hinder the volume so I can hear the sounds.. while viewing the movie.

Last May when I looked at this I'd found the Dragon's Lair video with a difference sequence.

Also at that time I'd experiment with that different form of colour matching.

Here are links to the NTSC and PAL versions I've recreated today.

I've targeted the AuthenticNTSC and OlivierPAL palettes (if replaying in Altirra) and so hopefully they'll look on on real h/w too.

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 1

Will these players and videos work on a MyIDE 2? I have mine set up via SpartaDOS and I've been told it pretty much works like a SiDE2 this way, but I also have the normal MyDOS & MyBIOS too.

Yes, they can. A year or two ago I edited or patched MOVPLAY60N (probably badly) for MyIDE II but I don't remember if I posted the file. I'll try to find it

The newer player MOVPLAY can be edited as well.

Just a reminder. A CF card has to be dedicated for each video. It won't be usable for normal MyIDE II usage.

-SteveS

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 2

I've had the chance to try this on my 800's Incognito and have to say that it looks better on a TV than through Altirra (which is still good) so would recommend that to anyone!

Some pics attached too. That isn't glare on the tank shot but as they get activated.

For playback I used the attached MovPlay, rebuilt with the altered IDE_BASE (I run it from an disk mounted as D1 on SIO2SD).

The card I have is a Jessops branded 256MB but reads as Hitachi V3.3.0.0 under Fdisk on the A8.

Enjoy, Mark

movplay.xex

tron_ntsc.zip

tron_pal.zip

post-1822-0-57030900-1490095864_thumb.jpg

post-1822-0-91759800-1490095865_thumb.jpg

post-1822-0-12727700-1490095867_thumb.jpg

post-1822-0-53098800-1490095868_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Regarding SD cards, I've tried the same binary (Strange Dawn intro) on the 256MB and that was OK too but when tried on a smaller 64MB "I.T. Works" card (shown as "CHH" in Fdisk) the sound is swamped with buzzing and so therefore it appears the choice of card is factor, but what is going on? The playback code must be receiving the right data values as the graphics are output correctly, so could there actually be interference generated by the CF card itself and being picked up by the audio output or circuitry?

Wow, the video is awesome. Colours so bright, vivid and audio so much better than what I can achieve.

On weekend I'm going to visit Zaxon (since we live in the same city). We are going to test all of his CF cards to find the perfect one.

Also visit my Onedrive (link is in one of previous post), I uploaded some new videos.

I g

Yes, they can. A year or two ago I edited or patched MOVPLAY60N (probably badly) for MyIDE II but I don't remember if I posted the file. I'll try to find it

The newer player MOVPLAY can be edited as well.

Just a reminder. A CF card has to be dedicated for each video. It won't be usable for normal MyIDE II usage.

-SteveS

I guess I need to go get another CF card for videos then. Thanks! and looking forward to the MyIDE patch versions!

Thanks! As to looking better on the real hardware, I'm not surprised. Rastaconverter images looks much better on real hardware too, IMHO. Though I only have LCD monitor atm, so I can't say how good they look on an old interlaced CRT screen.

I've had the chance to try this on my 800's Incognito and have to say that it looks better on a TV than through Altirra (which is still good) so would recommend that to anyone!

Some pics attached too. That isn't glare on the tank shot but as they get activated.

For playback I used the attached MovPlay, rebuilt with the altered IDE_BASE (I run it from an disk mounted as D1 on SIO2SD).

The card I have is a Jessops branded 256MB but reads as Hitachi V3.3.0.0 under Fdisk on the A8.

Enjoy, Mark