IGNORED

Transferring data from 2600 to PC via audio?

Since my program can already display the data on screen in hex, I thought about having the user take photos of the screen and feed them into a program that reads them. But I know more about audio than I do about computer vision, so the audio route seemed easier.

I think he was more referring to a QR code or something, rather than HEX.

Yes. Some code optimized for the 2600 play field, maybe adding color into the encoding. I assume a lot more data could be transferred per screen and with a lower error rate with some kind of check sum type deal.

I had been wondering about a way to communicate info to users in a game. The look of text on the 2600 isn't too great imo. Flying a 23th century space ship and the text display, well, kind of doesn't help the illusion. But a play field screen would look futuristic and having to translate via a web site would be interesting. I think I'd even do the score that way.

Edited by DanOliver
  • Like 1

Yes. Some code optimized for the 2600 play field, maybe adding color into the encoding. I assume a lot more data could be transferred per screen and with a lower error rate with some kind of check sum type deal.

I had been wondering about a way to communicate info to users in a game. The look of text on the 2600 isn't too great imo. Flying a 23th century space ship and the text display, well, kind of doesn't help the illusion. But a play field screen would look futuristic and having to translate via a web site would be interesting. I think I'd even do the score that way.

Great idea! Another variation could be to flash the screen to create a bit-banger serial port through the PC camera, maybe periodically changing the color too like Video Chess to show the Atari is thinking :)

I bet there's already a bit-banger optical driver.

• Like 1

Like this?

This is the final Assembloids2600 PAL binary represented as 64x64 pixel (=4096 Bytes ;-) Image, hehe.

You can spot some repeating code and gfx patterns in there, also some smoother color-transitions i.e. from the game's logo color-table.

And the reset-table.

post-29575-0-76398100-1465102244_thumb.jpg

Then he mentioned changing parts so the binary wouldn't leak out early!

• Like 1

Another variation could be to flash the screen to create a bit-banger serial port through the PC camera, maybe periodically changing the color too like Video Chess to show the Atari is thinking :)

Like morse code, although I guess audio would be better for that. That would be interesting too, giving clues or advantages to players who can understand morse code.

Like this?

This is the final Assembloids2600 PAL binary represented as 64x64 pixel (=4096 Bytes ;-) Image, hehe.

You can spot some repeating code and gfx patterns in there, also some smoother color-transitions i.e. from the game's logo color-table.

And the reset-table.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Then he mentioned changing parts so the binary wouldn't leak out early!

That's a lot of info and just one screen. Thanks. Also, what a perfect way to represent just how small a 4k game is.

• Like 1

That's a lot of info and just one screen. Thanks. Also, what a perfect way to represent just how small a 4k game is.

There are posters made out of 2600 game hex code.

I made this "Atari 4K Pac-Man 02-26-2015" from the "new" version by DINTAR816.

To me it's more impressive than a poster of code, because it's just a rectangle of hex numbers and that's the entirety of the game, graphics, colors, movement, sound, music, score, everything is in those less than 5,000 numbers (bytes)!

(That, and the medium-resolution .jpg itself is 1,048,639 bytes! :-o )

gallery_29575_733_231672.jpg

The decoder program is in the zip attached in the cart dumper thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/185932-my-2600-cart-dumper/

I just checked it and the source is missing (while I'm sure it was included in previous revisions). I have it in another computer and I will be able to post it tomorrow.

I found the sources and added them in the thread linked above.

• 1 year later...

I got a 2600-daptor and tried to read the SaveKey with the SaveKey driver. But the program doesn't find the SaveKey ("ERROR - AtariVox not found!"). :(

Any help is welcome.

The 2600-daptor does not work with the AtariVox. I think this what you are looking for -

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/177120-bb-atarivox-support-part-2-basic-voice-functionality/?p=2718060

EDIT: could probably make a special firmware for the 2600-daptor to interface with the AtariVox, though I would need to research the protocol to communicate with the AtariVox. Looks like on the USB side it is just a virtual COM port.

Tom

http://2600-daptor.com/

Edited by dualcam