IGNORED

The Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast

Shinto

In conclusion, fun game that I think does not deserve the hate it gets. Although I understand where it comes from.

I think some of the hate comes from the ridiculous level of push given to the franchise in what appeared to be an attempt to make Bubsy the new Sonic, only cross-platform. I actually thought the 16-bit iterations were okay, but the character was never really fleshed out much beyond being a sassy bobcat with an attitude, so his hip mannerisms and punny dialogue just became a little annoying over time due to lack of contextualization. Bubsy 3D was basically the nail in the coffin for a franchise that had already lost a lot of its appeal.

• 4 weeks later...

Check out the latest episode, covering Bubsy in: Fractured Furry Tales.

I've been checking for an update every time i got in the car and plugged my iPhone in. Can't relay the massive smile that was plastered across my face when i saw there was a new ep waiting to be heard! Can't wait to continue listening to it (in 19 minutes so far)! :)

• Like 1

Saw this hit my Stitcher feed. Awesome & happy to see you back.

I own Bubsy but haven't put significant time into it. It seems you really have to master the float/fly mechanic. I do recall that. Maybe the episode with encourage me to fire it back up.

Looking forward to Iron Soldier & Wolf 3D.

During your time out, I posted a youtube video on this thread where Carmack talks about the Jag port of Wolf 3D a few times. Hope it's helpful in some way to your history section on that game. Keep up the great work!

• Like 1

Just finishing up the podcast... awesome new Bubsy material! :D

Ok, here is a link to the Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide:

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-Jaguar-Official-Gamers-Guide/dp/1884364136

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Jaguar-Official-Gamers-Guide-Jaguar-Strategy-Guide-Rare-/400364922241

Amazing book and how those writers got through all 15 levels in such a short time boggles my mind.

Kill Bubsy Routine: Awesome find!

I think I need to write a song "65 Ways to Kill Your Bubsy" to the tune of a certain Paul Simon song. ;)

Hearing the story about the kids playing Bubsy in the living room was just too cute.

I WANT THAT CES ROM IMAGE OF EARLY BUBSY!

(Maybe it will turn up one day. One can hope...)

post-4709-0-69290200-1465195743_thumb.png

Edited by doctorclu

Another excellent episode. Loved the interview with Doctorclu. Since this was mentioned in the episode I will post a link for the cloud jumping video. You can also go left and I have made about 10 successful jumps that way, but I could still see more clouds to jump on.

• Like 4

Still impressed by that JeremiahJT. Honeslty I think you went as far over as possible according to the maps we were able to extract from the Bubsy rom.

The area highlighted in red is the area that was shown in the video.

post-4709-0-43824900-1465441365_thumb.png

• Like 1

The hate deservidly so...is because it starts out so ruthlessly hard. It is a cartoon mascot go that you have to have precise control which the Jag version doesn't have.

On top of that you gget to listen to bubsy taunt you with every miserable death the same way the green head from Cybermorph does.

I like sonic/Mario games and want to like it but bubsy is to unforgiving to be loved.

Rating 4 trash game

• Like 1

Thank you all for the feedback on the Bubsy episode. It was a lot of fun chatting with Doctorclu, and he sold me on getting a copy of the Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide, which should arrive in time to help provide tips for the next game I'll be covering, Iron Soldier. If you have any thoughts, opinions, memories, or other general feedback for Iron Soldier, please send that in (text or audio) to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com, or post/PM here on AtariAge. I'm looking at a cut-off of Friday, June 24th for guaranteed feedback inclusion in the show. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

The latest episode, Iron Soldier, is now online. I expect it to hit iTunes and Stitcher shortly. Check out the direct episode link or blog entry, and get stomping.

Next up is Wolfenstein 3D! I'm optimistically looking to close feedback on July 22nd for that episode, so I'd love to get your text or audio submissions. jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com is the place to send that.

As always, thank you for listening!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Achung! The episode all about the Jaguar port of the pioneering FPS, Wolfenstein 3D, is now available for download. You can find it here, or hit up iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play Music, or your favorite podcast app. jaguar.gamebygamepodcast.com has all the links and show information.

The next episode is covering DOOM. I'd love to hear your feedback on this one! Please send text or audio to jaguar@gamebygamepodcast.com, or PM here, that's fine, too. I'm hoping to have all feedback in by the end of the month to make sure it gets in the episode.

Thanks!

Hey Shinto (And Bishop) in tribute of the next podcast I will now sing the Doom song!!

Doom as a game spreads throughout the galaxy and appears on so many game systems like some strange alien time warp. It has graced the Nuon system and some of the most obscure platforms and the Jaguar was one of it's better versions. Easily one of my continual top five of the Atari Jaguar, I have logged many hours on Doom. With the e-JagFest hacks of Doom 2 which are the maps of Doom 2 with the game engine of the original Doom, I have recently gained a new interest in this shoot 'em up. This game is simply a must have, five out of five game.

I strongly encourage networked Doom with a friend. Great fun, and the crashing of the game due to buggy networked code lead to a time based game. The new object: complete the level before the game crashes! :D (End of review)

Here are some videos I made of me and a friend playing networked Doom:

Thank you all for the feedback on the Bubsy episode. It was a lot of fun chatting with Doctorclu, and he sold me on getting a copy of the Jaguar Official Gamer's Guide, which should arrive in time to help provide tips for the next game I'll be covering, Iron Soldier.

I heard you make reference to the Official Gamer's Guide in the Iron Soldier podcast. Glad that helped and was awesome talking!

So here I am going to submit my catch up reviews for podcasts missed and you can save these for later and add them one at a time in future podacsts:

*IRON SOLDIER

This is one of those unique iconic games for the Jaguar. When I was part of the Atari Users of North Texas this was one of the games brought up that the members there recommended to get when I got a Jaguar. We used to often joke the Iron Soldier looked like a pissed off Optimus Prime from Transformers. Played many hours on the game in the early 2000's. I don't think the game has aged. Would rate the game a 3 out of 5.

*WOLFENSTEIN 3D

I played many hours sneaking around Castle Wolfenstein on my Atari 800, so naturally I was happy to see this 3D version of the PC and Macintosh computers in the 90's. The Jaguar version is complete and very fast and zippy. My long time complaint is that unlike the PC and Macintosh version you can't select the knife to walk up and quietly stab the guards. I always liked that challenge of honor and hate how I have to empty my clip to default back to a knife on the Jaguar. Overall the game would get a 4 out of 5 in my book.

• 1 month later...

Bishop doesn't offer up much willingly, except maybe sarcasm. Jagosaurus, please feel free to send in a submission anyway, and I'll include it in the next episode. I don't hold out much hope that Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story will generate a great deal of feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Great show Shinto, binge-listened to it whilst I was decorating my room, loved the AvP episode!

Thanks! I think fans of the movie Aliens would get more out of the AvP episode than those who wouldn't necessarily get all the many, many reference to that movie I included. Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing you picked up on all the references. :)

I sure couldn't binge-listen to my show; I know that by the time I finish editing and click publish, I'm pretty thoroughly sick of my voice, and I usually continue to hear the tone and cadence of my voice (no actual words, just the sound) running through my head for days afterward.

Thanks! I think fans of the movie Aliens would get more out of the AvP episode than those who wouldn't necessarily get all the many, many reference to that movie I included. Judging by your avatar, I'm guessing you picked up on all the references. :)

I sure couldn't binge-listen to my show; I know that by the time I finish editing and click publish, I'm pretty thoroughly sick of my voice, and I usually continue to hear the tone and cadence of my voice (no actual words, just the sound) running through my head for days afterward.

I think it's a great voice to listen to for listening to for such a long time, because you don't get loud or grating, and that's great... Ummm surprisingly I haven't actually seen the whole film, I got to the scene where they leave the ship and head to LV-426, and then suffered a power cut :/ and I haven't watched it since, even though I can go back to the exact point (I have it on video) but never have... I just adore the character to be honest, especially in Alien

Ummm surprisingly I haven't actually seen the whole film

Hmm. OK, in that case, when you do watch Aliens in its entirety, you can say to yourself, "Wow, this film sure makes a lot of references to episode 8 of the Atari Jaguar Game by Game Podcast."

• Like 1

Hey Shinto, I REALLY wanted to contribute for Wolfenstein 3D, but a combination of factors (in particular, my father's death and now pending divorce) have kept me from being able to do a proper write up for the last few podcasts. I did want to share this, though:

When I was a kid (early to mid 80s), we had an Apple IIc computer. My dad liked gadgets and to keep current with technologies, and when we got it the computer was relatively cutting edge, right down to the dot matrix printer. He subscribed to Softdisk and picked up games and software wherever and whenever he could, and bought a lot of stuff both bootleg and used when he had the opportunity. I don't know how we wound up with it, but Castle Wolfenstein and Beyond Castle Wolfenstein were probably the two games I played most on that system for three or four years (my mom wouldn't allow us a Nintendo, and the 2600 wasn't always hooked up). Yes, it could be repetitive, but each offered a style of action play that was rare for that system, and the randomness of the stages led to a certain amount of suspense for me as a young player (I hadn't yet picked up on possible patterns in the levels).

The original was probably more challenging since it was all-out action, forcing you to shoot it out with guards and the notoriously persistent SS Stormtroopers. We didn't have the instructions, so we probably went a year not knowing how to throw grenades until my brother accidentally hit the T button (apparently for "throw") and vaporized a hapless Wehrmacht soldier. Beyond Castle Wolfenstein took away a lot of the action elements (you could get through the entire game without firing a shot), but allowed you to decide what level of violence you wanted to pursue. And let's face it, anything is worth being able to plant a time bomb next to Hitler. Toward the end of our time with the Apple IIc we got a copy of Spear of Destiny, but I remember it didn't work very well. Can't remember if it was only a demo or if our system didn't meet the operating requirements of the game. Nonetheless, I did get early exposure to the genre and was an avid fan of both Wolfenstein and Wolfenstein 3D on various platforms, but mostly played it on later PC versions (typically on a friend's computer). Good memories.

Feedback on "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story"

I am extremely hard on this game. The truth is, one on one fighter games are not my thing.

To give this more balance I'll quote Björn Baranski when he wrote on Facebook that is has solid gameplay, nicely rendered background graphics, which is very true simply gorgeous. And you get to fight Popeye in the first level. :P Well some sailor man.

I was going to write that while Bubsy was the game that got the most controller abuse as I was learning the game; Dragon was the only game so frustrating to have me rip the cartridge out of the game slot, with the Jaguar still on, and throw it across the room. I was slightly more hot headed in the late nineties. :D

I would rate this game as "Meh" with the caviot that many have said this game is one fighting game with more move combinations and great when you learn that. It is not a game you'll get by on just button mashing. That said, a game I barely remember exists on the Jaguar.