IGNORED

New video upgrade coming soon!

Bryan

I hooked up another 800xl today and after about 30 seconds staring at the screen I said ugg I cant use this....no uav...so I unplugged it and put it away...

Ill be needing 5 more when they hit the store...

Its a must have upgrade...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Wow! I just decided to look again at video mods for my beloved 400 and found this thread. Is there any hope of getting one these boards for a 400? I've attempted a crude composite mod for my 400 but it didn't end well. This looks awesome!

Wow! I just decided to look again at video mods for my beloved 400 and found this thread. Is there any hope of getting one these boards for a 400? I've attempted a crude composite mod for my 400 but it didn't end well. This looks awesome!

Eventually it will be available in the AtariAge store.

It really looks beautiful on a 400. There's a little finagling needed to pass the wires outside the RF shield, and a sound circuit needs to be created to get both system and tape sounds (I think an upgrade board is in the works) but it's worth it!

It really looks beautiful on a 400. There's a little finagling needed to pass the wires outside the RF shield, and a sound circuit needs to be created to get both system and tape sounds (I think an upgrade board is in the works) but it's worth it!

Audio board - Waiting on parts, but as I wait I'm trying to figure out the best way to mail them out when I do. Easiest for me is small flat rate priority USPS box but that is going to be overkill for the size of this board.

Audio board - Waiting on parts, but as I wait I'm trying to figure out the best way to mail them out when I do. Easiest for me is small flat rate priority USPS box but that is going to be overkill for the size of this board.

Are the audio boards going to be available in the AA store as well?

I've already cut a nice slot in my shield for the cable from my current mod. Not concerned with tape sound at this point -- maybe later. I plan on doing a gumby mod eventually anyway.

Did you consider padded envelopes? This would probably cut overseas postage considerably and I have received single books, Lynx carts and other small computer stuff safely that way.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you consider padded envelopes? This would probably cut overseas postage considerably and I have received single books, Lynx carts and other small computer stuff safely that way.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

I agree. I order all kinds of stuff from china, and it does come in small padded envelopes. Never had anything get damaged in transit. Here's a list of things I have received this way...

1. Fully assembled USB FTDI break-out boards
  2. Fully assembled small audio amplifier boards
  3. A kit of parts including PIC chip for PS/2 Mouse to ST board
  4. PS/2 connectors
  5. ZIF sockets
  6. IC chips

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols

Audio boards will not be available in the store. This is something I decided to do as I wanted a professional board in my own machines and decided to build some for other 400 owners.

Obviously the video board fits in many machines, as the audio board is just a subset of these it wasn't practical for Bryan to focus on making a small number.

I have all of the parts minus sockets and will be testing a couple of configurations in the next week or so. After that I will be ready to build and take orders.

As for shipping I have no problem using bubble envelopes to ship. I'll have to see what the cost will be for shipping materials and shipping VS a flat rate box. Any overseas shipping will be a bubble envelope for sure.

Edited by orpheuswaking

So this weekend my friend gave me a 30"+ late-model Toshiba 4:3 CRT that his boss had been trying to find a new home for; they wanted to pay ME for taking it off their hands! :) Anyway, first off, S-video looks FANTASTIC on this screen; seriously, amazing. However, the image flickers with physical jostling of the Atari. Even keystrokes can cause it. Moving images don't have any problem and composite output doesn't show this problem. I'm thinking there must be a loose chroma connection either at the DIN jack or possibly wiggling within the connection block.

Before I tear it open sometime next week, what say the cognoscenti?

Built the first Rev D board today. I have a minor glitch to work out but it's mostly doing what I thought it would. :) I'm in the US right now, but the next two weeks are going to be pretty busy. I'll keep everyone updated, though.

Before I tear it open sometime next week, what say the cognoscenti?

The green terminal blocks have a little quirk: When the terminal clamp is closed, a wire can be inserted into the hole under it. You probably need to see if any of the wires pull out easily, make sure that terminal clamp is fully open, then clamp it down again.

• Like 1

The green terminal blocks have a little quirk: When the terminal clamp is closed, a wire can be inserted into the hole under it. You probably need to see if any of the wires pull out easily, make sure that terminal clamp is fully open, then clamp it down again.

Thanks, Bryan. That's what I'll look at first.

Really though, S-video is great. Thanks again for this neat little board. :)

post-30400-0-27447200-1465775232_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, my first tests of Rev D didn't quite go as expected so I'll have to wait until I'm back in Costa Rica (with all my equipment) to see what's going on. I think it's something simple but I just have too much on the agenda while I'm in the States (plus, the wife doesn't like me running off with my soldering iron and ignoring everyone!).

Tomorrow we're heading to the Mackinac Island area (Michigan). I'll probably post another update in a couple weeks.

post-3606-0-21330900-1465788792_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here's what I think is happening (without the means to verify yet). UAV uses a delay circuit to perform the pixel re-clocking. This has two benefits: 1. the LUM bits become time-aligned, and by adjusting the delay you can change the artifact colors. Rev C and Rev D do this a little bit differently so I could get more adjustment range. They both perform a 4-bit compare to detect changes, which is followed by an adjustable delay. Rev C uses a latch which opens after the delay and closes once the values match (that is, once the displayed pixel matches the LUM pins). Rev D uses a 4-bit flip-flop instead of a latch so there isn't a period of time where the latch is open. It also adds a 'dump' transistor to quickly discharge the delay capacitor. This is where I think the problem lies and sometimes the pixels aren't getting clocked. I'm going to test some high-speed FETs and see if the performance improves. Sorry for the delays, but I really want to get this working.

• Like 4

I got around to opening up my 800XL today - sure enough, the Chroma wire was loose and just slipped right out of the block. I reinserted it but couldn't seem to get the block to grip the wire firmly; that particular screw seems to slip right as the terminal clamps onto the wire. After fighting with it for a couple minutes I took a seriously low-rent approach: I wicked a good side coating of solder around the end of the wire, let it cool, and then tried again. Voila - no wire slipping terminal block. S-Video looks great. :)

post-30400-0-74485400-1466365104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, I got terminals from two different sources and one had better QC than the other (I posted about them a while back). From now on, I'll buy from the better source. If anyone needs a new terminal, I can try to get one to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to show my Atari 400 SW to my sons, but I couldn't display the output on our Samsung Flat-TV because it doesn't decode analog TV anymore.

So I stumbled over this thread. I would like to have one of those magic UAV video output boards please. What do I have to do?

I know how to solder so I guess I'll be fine replacing the chip with it and getting a video plug outside the case.

Many thanks for your effort.

Perhaps I need another one for am Atari 2600 I was given, but must first check if it is alive after all.

What is a b key keyboard? I have a 400 that my dad spliced in an external 800 keyboard wired in parallel with the membrane connector.

It was an aftermarket keyboard for the 400 that replaced the membrane keyboard. What I'd like to know is if back in 1982 a 400 w/ b key, 48K upgrade and composite mod would have been actually been cheaper than just buying an 800?

The only mod done to mine has been a 48K board. An AV upgrade might be interesting but the craptastic membrane keyboard STAYS LOL The mutant nearly unusable membrane keyboard is part of what makes the 400 special IMHO. ;-)

Audio boards will not be available in the store. This is something I decided to do as I wanted a professional board in my own machines and decided to build some for other 400 owners.

How much are you planning on selling the boards for? I might be interested in one.

Edited by kogden