IGNORED

What ever happened to/with...

Omega-TI

This thread will be devoted to the question, "Whatever happened..." (to or with)Moving-picture-red-cartoon-question-mark

Over the years many of us remember projects or programs that seem to have fallen off the face of the Earth, and we never heard about them again. Sometimes we ourselves got out of the TI and never learned what became of something we thought was interesting or cool. Hopefully with the huge knowledge pool we have available here, we might finally get the answers to some of our questions.

• Like 2

I'll start it off...

Back in the very early 1990's (a few years before the Internet came onto the scene) there was a Zmodem program being developed for the TI by a guy by the name of Gary Bowzer.

The Zmodem protocol would have given us the ability to call more varied systems, but it appears now from 2016 it did not catch on.

My questions are:

1) What ever happened to this protocol for the TI?

2) Was this just a stand alone program? I ask because I've never seen the Zmodem protocol incorporated in any other program.

3) Did it die because Xmodem was 'good enough' for TI'ers?

4) Did it die from lack of interest (few BBS users and fewer downloaders)?

For TIImageTool I once considered to implement X-/Y-/Zmodem but eventually ended up with Xmodem only. The reason is that I did not see too much advantage in Zmodem over Xmodem, and that other tools like TELCO or PORT already used Xmodem.

Ymodem: uses 1k block and adds filename and timestamp, but this was already included in TIFILES (at least some extensions already used it), and there was already Xmodem1k

Zmodem: uses sliding window and packet ACKs

• Like 1

How about TI Tutankham?

The official unreleased (or prototype?) version that Toucan has a board of, but is doing nothing with? Whatever happened to that game and him?

Then there was another 'from scratch' attempt at Tutankham, but whatever happened to that effort?

^ might just be the Tutankham demo I was talking about, not the real deal from BITD. Anywho… assuming I can't use the .dsk file, the other two need to be "massaged" before they work in the FlashROM 99? Gotta "invert" this or stitch the other two files together or what? :lol:

^ might just be the Tutankham demo I was talking about, not the real deal from BITD. Anywho… assuming I can't use the .dsk file, the other two need to be "massaged" before they work in the FlashROM 99? Gotta "invert" this or stitch the other two files together or what? :lol:

That "G" file is a GROM. Not going to work in the FlashROM.

They play... but what is the story behind these?? Are these legit from Parker Brothers?

and this is for the players :)

attachicon.gifTUT3.bin

attachicon.giftutankham.rpk

attachicon.gifpost-16219-127524529752_thumb.jpg

Your files are from Retroclouds Edition which is a remake of the original.

I have these files, but I haven't tried them.

attachicon.gifTUTANKAM.DSK

attachicon.gifTUTANKHAMC.bin

attachicon.gifTUTANKHAMG.bin

I hope they are useful.

Darryl

This IS the never released Parker Brothers Protoype version from 1983. It was never released in cartridge format because of the Home Computer crash.

No dump was known to be available til your post yesterday afaik. One prototype card was known to be in somebody hands.

Many thanks for sharing this piece of programming art!

Maybe it was shared with Texas Instruments during development and it ended up on a Grom Simulator Disk like that.

Whoever to thank you, THANK YOU!

• Like 6

Most importantly, the files are now available without Toucan breaking his purchase contract. . .as these files came from a completely different chain of custody. :) It might be interesting if he compared these to his to see if the files are any different (they may be from different code states). Now we just need to make them into a set of UberGROM images and anyone with the right tools can make one of the cartridges for their own personal use. . .

• Like 5

In case someone does make a set of UberGROM compatible images, I wanted to do my part by adding a cartridge label to the mix.

Here is a small example of the attached PNG graphic...

gallery_35324_1027_8589.jpg

My vote for your best one, ever.

• Like 2

This is a kick-a$$ post!

One of my favorite platformers! Its non-release made even more sad by the fact that it was to come from a company that created the 3 most outstanding arcade conversions (imho) for the 4A

Trivia: Many might notice that the name is misspelled (s/b Tutankhamun). There is no copyright reason for this, it was simply that the correct spelling would not fit on the arcade machine marquee so they chopped off the end to make it fit. Seeing as this is the age of the internet, I guess that's pretty common knowledge now, but I remember thinking it was cool little piece of trivia back in the day.

Of course it was produced in a country that spells colour "color", calibre "caliber", and cheque "check"... so maybe no one south of the 49th parallel even noticed. <evil grin>

Ironically the U.S. also invented the Spelling Bee!

Better go try these files now, before I get myself into trouble here!

• Like 4

This IS the never released Parker Brothers Protoype version from 1983. It was never released in cartridge format because of the Home Computer crash.

No dump was known to be available til your post yesterday afaik. One prototype card was known to be in somebody hands.

Many thanks for sharing this piece of programming art!

Maybe it was shared with Texas Instruments during development and it ended up on a Grom Simulator Disk like that.

Whoever to thank you, THANK YOU!

Wow! I had no idea. I wonder what else I have buried in my archives?

Darryl

Edited by dphirschler
  • Like 5

Okay, finally getting around to testing this out... downloaded the TutankhamC.bin file and it does not work on the FlashROM99. Can someone please post a FlashROM99 friendly file for this? And Joust is floating around too?! :dunce:

(looked at the WHTech site and the FR99 Image Repository thread here and nada)