IGNORED

Edladdin Colecovision Controller Kickstarter now LIVE!

edladdin

Maybe about the ball knobs you could try somewhere else ?

The big problem with dealing with China is that the payments usually happen through bank wire transfer. Once the money is gone, there are no cancellations or refunds. Even if you could convince them to give you the refund, there was a total of $105 in bank wire transfer fees - $75 from my bank and $30 from theirs - to get the money there, so both fees would be lost in the purchase was cancelled. Then we would pay transfer fees once again to get the refund back to the USA!

Finally, there is no guarantee that the next vendor would not promise an immediate delivery, then turn around and change the tune like this one did. We could very readily end up back at square one, plus paying the wire transfer fees a third time while paying the second vendor.

Needless to say, its better to hope they deliver the goods on May 20 as per the revised promise...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

Another couple of weeks has gone by, so I wanted to file an update here and then at the Kickstarter page. At this point we have received:

* Joystick Ball Knobs

* Seagull CV controller boards with "pick and place" components installed

* Matrix (CV) and Non-Matrix (USB) keypads

* Panel and Side Labels

Still in process:

* Swag T-shirts ordered but not received

* Waiting for one more quote on enclosures

* Mounting of through-hole components on controller boards

* Programming of microprocessors on controller boards

At this moment the longest remaining hurdle is the enclosures. We could not get a solid drawing from the Chinese on exactly where the pigtails would connect to the keypads, so we decided to hold up finalizing the enclosure drawings until we could know exactly where to put those slots in the cases. Now we are most of the way through the quote-gathering process, but the vendor that given us the best prices on other projects in the past has been the slowest to deliver. Its likely to be another 3-4 weeks before we have the finished goods in hand, which makes me sad. However, once we have the enclosures, final assembly and testing should roll pretty quickly.

Thanks for your patience everyone! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-42205400-1464808450_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-21840300-1464808452_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-96116500-1464808453_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-68058400-1464808455_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, Ed,

I am very late to this thread, but I think I would be interested in getting the Seagull CV Adapter. I just wanted to confirm if it would suit my needs. I am probably going to get the Supreme 78 All-Play 4/8 joystick for the 7800. If I get that joystick, and use it with the Seagull CV adapter, then the two buttons on that will work for two-button games on the CV, such as Tutankham? Just wanted to be absolutely sure before I spent the money. Will it be available on your site at some point, and how much will it retail for? Will there be an option to get it without any artwork? My apologies if you've answered these questions dozens of times already; I haven't gone through and read every post in this thread (I got bogged down after page 2).

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone!

A quick update on the ColecoVision project...

1. All of the "SWAG" rewards - stickers, coffee mugs, and t-shirt combos - have been shipped! Thanks to everyone who pledged support for those items. I hope the goodies bring you a lot of amusement.

2. The controllers and controller adapters are in the tail end of a long holding pattern as we navigated the unexpected process of having to have all of the new enclosures custom made rather than modifying stock enclosures as originally planned.

Back in November I'd received a quote from Hammond Manufacturing - the manufacturer of the aluminum enclosures we have been using on the "Super" controllers - in which they promised wholesale pricing on the cases plus the ability to do the additional stamping/cutting that we are not equipped to do in-house. The price quoted for the enclosures was excellent, but the price for the mods was quite high. I searched and found a local shop that could take the stock cases and do the extra cutting for a much lower price than Hammond had quoted. However, when I went to place the order, Hammond told us we would only qualify for the wholesale enclosure price if we also accepted the high priced customization. To qualify for the lower price on stock cases, we would have to spend almost the entire Kickstarter fund buying a ridiculous number of cases.

So late in the game we were thrown back to square one on enclosures. From there we had to go through the process of locating and soliciting quotes from small-run metal shops, including having drawings made for all the enclosures where we previously only had to show the mods to the stock items. Every inch of our delay with shipping the controllers has been this holding pattern, which has taken forever. For example, I sent the first quote solicitations with drawings on May 19 and we are not scheduled to take delivery of the enclosures until the end of next week. All the rest of the parts and the PCBs are on hand and ready to go.

So if there are no more delays on the enclosures. we should begin shipping the controllers and CV adapters by the end of July. Aside from the one person who pledged extra to have Unit #1, we will ship in pledge number order. Once all the backers have received their items, we will add the ColecoVision products to the online store for the general public.

I am very grateful for everyone's patience as we work through this unexpected issue. I can't wait for everyone to have their rewards and use these devices with their ColecoVisions and Ataris! In the meantime, please let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes

Ed

Edladdin-1001-Seagull-CV-TOP-2015-05-11.pdf

• Like 2

Will you make some more of these after the kickstarter backers are fulfilled?

He answers your question in his post:

Once all the backers have received their items, we will add the ColecoVision products to the online store for the general public.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good news! We've finished figuring out how best to actually assemble these units and have the first couple Seagull CV adapters built and tested. You can see them here, one in the minimalist decoration scheme and one with full-on Edladdin regalia. We're going to build, test and ship them in order of backing of the Kickstarter campaign. One of the final delays was waiting for the arrival of the little nameplates that would allow us to honor the "1st Unit" reward. We had pledges for three of those at an extra $100 each, but two of them evaporated when it was time to pay up. So we ended up spending $300 to collect an extra $100 in support.

The bad news... All this time we have been building controllers and adapters using our initial purchase of 200 DB9 extension cords from a company in China. We cut off one end and wire them into the controllers as needed. These have worked out great, but we were already running low when the campaign was funded, so we ordered another 300 from the same company. When we finally cracked the new case of cords open to begin building the Kickstarter products, we found the quality was not even in the same ballpark. With the first batch I don't think we have had a single failure among them, so you could grab one out of the box and begin work without reservation. With the new batch... Today I tested two bundles - 46 of them - and only 13 had good/usable conductivity on all nine wires. Not only is the purchase price flushed down the toilet, but the 33 unusable cables = 11 controllers or adapters that are suddenly without the three needed cords. I am just hoping and praying the whole case is not similarly terrible.

Anyhow, we will find every good one in the lot and we still have a couple dozen left from the first batch, but there is the possibility of delay filling the later backers if we have to wait for an entire new shipment to arrive from China. So far the company in China has not responded to my email of complaint.

post-40253-0-93857900-1472015103_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-87235600-1472015105_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-66207800-1472015107_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-67935700-1472015109_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the update as well as the photos! Love those plates, are they metal? Sorry to hear about the poor-quality extension cords you received, I'm sure that was a big let down! Hopefully you're able to get the supplier to send you another batch, or find another supplier with more consistent quality.

..Al

• Like 1

Thanks for the update as well as the photos! Love those plates, are they metal? Sorry to hear about the poor-quality extension cords you received, I'm sure that was a big let down! Hopefully you're able to get the supplier to send you another batch, or find another supplier with more consistent quality.

..Al

Thanks Al!

The plates are aluminum with a gold finish, so they are soft enough to stamp in the model and serial # information.

So far the supplier has chosen to not respond, which is making me not confident that we will get any help on the bad batch. In the meantime I am getting a new quote from a different supplier.

Working with the Chinese, quality seems to be a role of the dice every time. For the first couple batches of the shorter Seagull 78 cords, we were ordering low end Genesis clone controllers and mining the cords off of them, then throwing the rest away. We got two batches that were great, then a third batch where the copper in the cords was weirdly rotten - could not get them to solder to anything else. That was another example of funds down the drain. :-(

Unfortunately, the few vendors in the USA who make molded DB9 cables use the fittings specific to the computer business, complete with the metal attachments, which are not ideal for fitting with our vintage consoles.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Just short of 9 months since the launch of the Kickstarter campaign, the first batch of Seagull CV controller adapters is ready for final packing and shipping!

Thanks for all of your patience everyone... It took way longer than I expected to reach this point, and still many more units to build before we have fulfilled all the rewards.

PS: If you are the backer who pledged and paid as "FOCUSRS", please get in touch with me - one of these is yours. I haven't been able to reach you through the email address you provided.

post-40253-0-40112500-1472763287_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-33096500-1472763289_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-32071600-1472763291_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-58959500-1472763293_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-65053900-1472763295_thumb.jpg

post-40253-0-76648200-1472763297_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just short of 9 months since the launch of the Kickstarter campaign, the first batch of Seagull CV controller adapters is ready for final packing and shipping!

Thanks for all of your patience everyone... It took way longer than I expected to reach this point, and still many more units to build before we have fulfilled all the rewards.

PS: If you are the backer who pledged and paid as "FOCUSRS", please get in touch with me - one of these is yours. I haven't been able to reach you through the email address you provided.

Hey thats me Ed :P will send you a message on Facebook :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to let everyone know that we just finished the second batch of Seagull CV controller adapters. The first batch went out last Tuesday and should be reaching people's homes by now. The second batch will ship Tuesday of the week ahead of us, fulfilling all of the Seagull CVs that were requested through the Kickstarter campaign. Next up will be the build-out for the 12 Super Arcade Controllers that came through Kickstarter.

And we have received 250 more DB9 cables from a new vendor China. So far these are working out well, so we should be in smooth sailing until all Kickstarter orders have been met.

Monday will be the second birthday for Edladdin Controllers, so its amazing to look back and think of all the Atari adventures we've had since then. None of it would have happened without this community, for which I am very grateful. Thanks everyone!

Best wishes,

Ed

post-40253-0-86020700-1473545609_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Any idea when your online store will be updated to provide info on the coleco products your are offering? Wondering about how they function and how much $$$.

Looking for something I could use a 7800 controller with for the coleco that gives it the number pad functionality.

If not I would probably buy a arcade coleco controller.

• Like 1

Any idea when your online store will be updated to provide info on the coleco products your are offering? Wondering about how they function and how much $$$.

Looking for something I could use a 7800 controller with for the coleco that gives it the number pad functionality.

If not I would probably buy a arcade coleco controller.

I'm hoping to have everything for the Kickstarter complete in the next few weeks, then all the new Atari/Coleco products will be listed in the store. The prices will be close to the Kickstarter pledge amounts, but before I can finalize I have to sit down and figure out how much these products actually cost to build versus our estimates beforehand. The ultimate goal is to have everything in place with plenty of time for Christmas shopping.

The Seagull CV controller adapter will allow you to use your UberArcade 7800 controller with either version of ColecoVision (classic and Flashback), with two button gameplay on the controller and keypad action on the adapter.

• Like 3

Just a quick update to let everyone know that we just finished the second batch of Seagull CV controller adapters. The first batch went out last Tuesday and should be reaching people's homes by now. The second batch will ship Tuesday of the week ahead of us, fulfilling all of the Seagull CVs that were requested through the Kickstarter campaign. Next up will be the build-out for the 12 Super Arcade Controllers that came through Kickstarter.

And we have received 250 more DB9 cables from a new vendor China. So far these are working out well, so we should be in smooth sailing until all Kickstarter orders have been met.

Monday will be the second birthday for Edladdin Controllers, so its amazing to look back and think of all the Atari adventures we've had since then. None of it would have happened without this community, for which I am very grateful. Thanks everyone!

Best wishes,

Ed

I got mine (sans edladdin skin), built very nicely...time to drag out the Coleco again!

• Like 1