IGNORED

ColecoVision 1.2 - replacement PCB, added features

5-11under

Here is one installed. The connections inside the RF box are for Gnd, 12V, and the composite video output from the HEF4066 (that switches between the external video fo the EM1 and the CV video output).[/quote

Here is what I did.. the jumper is for the screwed trace from going on and off several times with the daughter board.. I get no video or anything.

post-27194-0-15326200-1470879786_thumb.jpg

So you have:

Green -> Gnd Pin 1

Red-> 12V Pin 4 (White Jumper shouldn't be needed as the 12V you are tapping on Pin 4 is the input to the RF box so it shouldn't matter if a trace is broken)

White -> Video Pin 6 (you might want to move the connection directly to the pin 6)

Black -> Audio C88 leg closest to RF box

Edited by Bmack36

So you have:

Green -> Gnd Pin 1

Red-> 12V Pin 4 (White Jumper shouldn't be needed as the 12V you are tapping on Pin 4 is the input to the RF box so it shouldn't matter if a trace is broken)

White -> Video Pin 6 (you might want to move the connection directly to the pin 6)

Black -> Audio C88 leg closest to RF box

Yes that is what I have.. Any other spots to try and get video? I repkaced my lm1889 chip. All my ram chips, I have black and white video on the vdp. I have sockets and chip to do the controller ic chips as well.. shoulda socketed the rams as well..

• 3 months later...

Another vapourware update:

Layout of the next prototype is basically complete. Hopefully I'll have the PCB in hand within a few weeks.

Future versions may not have all these options (may be user configurable/orderable), but features include:

• F18A compatibity
  • YPbPr/component output (new version, simple, but hopefully better than previous version)
  • Works with Sega controllers (extra ports on right side of console for now)
  • Can plug in keypad - installed on top of console (same kind as in Collectorvision's arcade controller) - yes, I know this is weird, but I like it (especially if using Sega controllers)
  • Uses 5V barrel power input
  • Expansion port hopefully fixed up and operational (project was conceived before the SGM ;))
  • Option for creating -5V and +12V for expansion port usage (I think the Atari module uses both
  • Power for roller controller
  • Hopefully the standard power and reset plastic button tops will work with the new switches
  • Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another vaporware update:

The board arrived, and I assembled it. The biggest change I made for this version was to get the expansion port working. It now works with the SGM! I also updated the circuitry for the SRAM for the Video Display Processor, and that's working, too. I fixed up the Sega controller inputs a bit, and that works, although it's not compatible with all the games (because when you press a direction button, a number on the keypad is also enabled - so sometimes the game pauses or does other weird stuff - the standard controller seems fine).

There's a number of other things that still need to be tested... I forgot to order a chip, so for the YPbPr/component output, I've only tested the Y. I also still need to test the roller controller, steering controller, super action controller, the Atari module (I think it might need -5V and/or +12V which I haven't tried yet), and F18A. I also need to install it into a ColecoVision shell, to see how that all works (especially the power and reset buttons).

Then I'll have a new ColecoVison for ME ;) ... at some point I'll need to know what YOU need/want in such a board...

1. YPbPr/component or F18A?
  2. Atari module compatibility or not?
  3. Roller controller power (would require soldering the 4-pin standard power connector to the board - as an output, not an input) or not? (BTW, board uses 5V barrel connector as power input).
  4. Coleco controller (2 standard inputs) or Coleco+Sega controller (2 standard inputs plus 2 Sega inputs)?
  5. Plug-n-play power and reset switches (similar to standard) or custom power and reset switches (someone would have to solder and fit these like a few people have done)?
  6. Standard ColecoVision case or something smaller and likely generic?
  7. Surface mount or mostly-soldered-in through-hole parts or fully-IC-socketed through-hole components? (input 74'541 ICs will be socketed through-hole in any case).

Most of these choices would be options, but some I may just get rid of, if nobody wants them. Assume for now that most options would cost a bit of money, but not too much.

• Like 9

Another vaporware update:

The board arrived, and I assembled it. The biggest change I made for this version was to get the expansion port working. It now works with the SGM! I also updated the circuitry for the SRAM for the Video Display Processor, and that's working, too. I fixed up the Sega controller inputs a bit, and that works, although it's not compatible with all the games (because when you press a direction button, a number on the keypad is also enabled - so sometimes the game pauses or does other weird stuff - the standard controller seems fine).

There's a number of other things that still need to be tested... I forgot to order a chip, so for the YPbPr/component output, I've only tested the Y. I also still need to test the roller controller, steering controller, super action controller, the Atari module (I think it might need -5V and/or +12V which I haven't tried yet), and F18A. I also need to install it into a ColecoVision shell, to see how that all works (especially the power and reset buttons).

Then I'll have a new ColecoVison for ME ;) ... at some point I'll need to know what YOU need/want in such a board...

• YPbPr/component or F18A?
  • Atari module compatibility or not?
  • Roller controller power (would require soldering the 4-pin standard power connector to the board - as an output, not an input) or not? (BTW, board uses 5V barrel connector as power input).
  • Coleco controller (2 standard inputs) or Coleco+Sega controller (2 standard inputs plus 2 Sega inputs)?
  • Plug-n-play power and reset switches (similar to standard) or custom power and reset switches (someone would have to solder and fit these like a few people have done)?
  • Standard ColecoVision case or something smaller and likely generic?
  • Surface mount or mostly-soldered-in through-hole parts or fully-IC-socketed through-hole components? (input 74'541 ICs will be socketed through-hole in any case).
Most of these choices would be options, but some I may just get rid of, if nobody wants them. Assume for now that most options would cost a bit of money, but not too much.

I think the above post deserves its own thread, but anyhow:

1 - F18A.

2 - Atari module not required in my case.

3 - Functional Roller Controllers are too rare, and games for this controller are too few to make it truly desirable.

4 - Don't really care about Sega pads, but feel free to add ports for them if you want. Personally, I would prefer NES controller ports, but that's just me. :)

5 - I don't want to fiddle with soldering custom power/reset switches. Please select an option and stick to it.

6 - I wouldn't mind a generic case, especially if it reduces the footprint of the console.

7 - Whatever floats your boat. Again, I'm never going to fiddle with soldering or electronic maintenance, I just want a system that "just works".

Thanks for the update on this project. :)

• Like 2

I would like to have HDMI 480P 4:3 screen ratio since every modern display uses HDMI now (component video inputs is hard to find on many new monitors), Expansion module #3 ADAM compatibility, Atari 2600 module compatibility. Also the advantage of using the exact same standard Colecovision case size, is that one could use the gray ADAM tray that comes with Expansion module #3. Surface mount components would be ideal. Roller Controller power and Sega controller options would be nice.

The ColecoVision case could be called “ColecoVision II”. If its 100% compatible with all cartridges and expansion modules, then I would end up buying several of these units. The ideal thing is to get the hardware working correctly, with a firmware update posted online one could download fixes to a SD card and plug it into the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD cartridge.

Thanks 5-11 for all the hardwork. It sounds like this might be the very first fully functional ColecoVision game system every made, except for the original 1982-1985 Colecovision game system.

Edited by HDTV1080P

1) Could both be possible?

2) No need for Atari module

3) No need for Roller Controller

4) No need for Sega controller

5) As long as there is pads to solder too.

6) Small case is cool, but Im thinking you would have more buyers for standard case

7) Socketed through hole would be cool.

3. Roller controller power (would require soldering the 4-pin standard power connector to the board - as an output, not an input) or not? (BTW, board uses 5V barrel connector as power input).
  4. Coleco controller (2 standard inputs) or Coleco+Sega controller (2 standard inputs plus 2 Sega inputs)?
  5. Plug-n-play power and reset switches (similar to standard) or custom power and reset switches (someone would have to solder and fit these like a few people have done)?
  7. Surface mount or mostly-soldered-in through-hole parts or fully-IC-socketed through-hole components? (input 74'541 ICs will be socketed through-hole in any case).

1. F18A

2. I am one of the rare one's that would like Atari module compatibility but ONLY for power. The video out from the Atari module is, in my opinion, crap and so I add a video mod to the module and have a separate video out on the module itself.

3. I want roller controller power even if it means some soldering. BTW - all of my roller controllers are fully functional !!!

4. Coleco standard only.

5. I'd stick with the plug and play power and reset switches. After all, it's supposed to be a drop in replacement. If someone wants customisation then they can do that themselves.

6. Standard CV case. I just want boards that I can drop in my many CV cases update them to modern technology in one simple step.

7. No view on this. Whatever works best for you.

My preferences:

• YPbPr/component or F18A?

- BOTH if possible. I'd prefer the F18a, converted to HDMI. A lot of my displays have Component inputs but none of them have straight up VGA.

• Atari module compatibility or not?

- YES, it's about the only way I play 2600 games.

• Roller controller power (would require soldering the 4-pin standard power connector to the board - as an output, not an input) or not? (BTW, board uses 5V barrel connector as power input).

- YES, it would be nice to have this option, even though I rarely use it. It would be a shame to not have all the original hardware options available.

• Coleco controller (2 standard inputs) or Coleco+Sega controller (2 standard inputs plus 2 Sega inputs)?

- Both CV and Genesis inputs, please. You can never have enough controller options.

• Plug-n-play power and reset switches (similar to standard) or custom power and reset switches (someone would have to solder and fit these like a few people have done)?

- Either or, doesn't matter. The option of using NKKs or something equivalent would be great though. Also, please don't forget the Pause button mod (w/blinking light optional). ;)

• Standard ColecoVision case or something smaller and likely generic?

- Either or, although I definitely want a drop-in replacement for my existing CV cases. It would also be nice to be able to drop one into a small project case for a Mini CV option.

• Surface mount or mostly-soldered-in through-hole parts or fully-IC-socketed through-hole components? (input 74'541 ICs will be socketed through-hole in any case).

- Doesn't matter to me, surface mount is probably the way to go, although I prefer working with through-hole. Socketed ICs are a must.

Thanks! Really excited about this project and can't wait to replace my old mobos, especially since my original unmodified unit started acting up and is currently unplayable.. I really don't feel like messing with it right now. Only my heavily modded CV works at the moment.

1. I'd prefer both, but, if I had to pick just one, it would be the F18A, even if it means I'm converting it to HDMI (which is what I'd do with component anyway via the Framemeister).

2. This doesn't necessarily interest me. I already have dedicated modded Atari 2600 systems and I suspect my Atari module would continue to sit on the shelf.

3. Roller controller power would be great.

4. The more inputs the better, but I'm just fine with the two standard ones.

5. Plug and play.

6. Although I have donor ColecoVision cases, I'd be just fine with a generic case, and in fact would probably prefer it.

7. Doesn't matter to me.

1. RGB/Component and F18A would be great if possible..

2. I think being able to use the Atari module would be nice to have

3, I would want to have Roller controller functionality as I use it and hope to have devs make more games that can support it

4. Coleco controller, Sega controllers, (SMS or Genesis with configurable buttons) would be awesome

5. I would like custom power and reset switches

6. Standard Coleco case or new smaller case if possible

7. Socketed chips would be great for repairs

In any case thank you for the great effort!

F18A please!
While it would be "nice" it's not a dealbreaker for me.
Same answer as #2
Standard Coleco controller is fine by me.
I'd prefer this to be as "drop in" as possible since I'm not a tech/electronic person. Any additional work I'd have to do would probably mean I would destroy the PCB!
Standard CV case is fine with me. If I can open up an old CV and drop this one board in with as little modifications as possible, that's a huge win, IMO, and something that I think would sell to a lot more people that just on these boards.
Hang on, I'm going to have to Google many words in this sentence to fully understand how to answer it! :)