IGNORED

Pie Factory Podcast...

Say, uhmmm...if you download episode 33 *before 7:00AM CDT on Friday, June 24* but have *not* listened yet, please re-download it. There was a brief audio issue (not affecting the actual *content* of the show, unless you just can't have a show without "Love Theme From Addenda And Errata") that our wonderful sound engineer Hyde St. Pièrre fixed after it was brought to his attention.

I was going to report that, but I see someone else beat me to it. ;)

No worries about missing that one little music bit, those things happen. (I know it wasn't YOUR mistake, just I'm very generous in forgiveness)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Say, due to various circumstances beyond our control, the new Pie Factory Podcast will be delayed possibly by a week.

However, we will be at Video Game Summit this coming Saturday in Villa Park, Illinois, and rumor has it we'll be making world record attempts on the Atari 7800 Space Duel and/or Asteroids Deluxe. :)

• 2 weeks later...

EPISODE 35 IS OUT!

See what happens when Dauber and Inky take a week off? The episode gets longer, unlike Dauber's performance in this episode's games. The hosts also discuss Video Game Summit, pickups, and a new arcade. Oh...and did somebody say..."contest"?

• Like 3

EPISODE 35 IS OUT!

See what happens when Dauber and Inky take a week off? The episode gets longer, unlike Dauber's performance in this episode's games. The hosts also discuss Video Game Summit, pickups, and a new arcade. Oh...and did somebody say..."contest"?

We also talk to Rob O'Tron

I like the audio compliation that brought the clip show flashback of "this week in robotron".

Oddly enough, there was a prototype of Robotron for the TI-99/4A

*this month in TI-99/4A*

Nice childish B&B giggle soundbyte at just the right time. :)

Edited by S1500
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So nobody's listening to the new episode about Omega Race and Tempest?

attachicon.gif24312680.jpg

I will, just listening to the Bally Astrocast right now. Super-busy Monday for podcast when I thought everyone took the summer off.

Dangit, now I wish I provided feedback about Tempest. I remember reading the criticism about it in a Consumer guide about the game, saying it was a "Quarter eater, even for the best", but it's still a favorite.

Inky, on 15 Aug 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:Inky, on 15 Aug 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

So nobody's listening to the new episode about Omega Race and Tempest?

attachicon.gif24312680.jpg

Listened to it at work....nice episode!

Some feedback for you:

TXK (the pseudo-sequel to Tempest) is STILL on the PlayStation store. I just checked right now. I bought the game a few months ago when I picked up a PS TV (the home version of the Vita) and you can play the game on the PS TV, or the PS Vita. It never came on a Xbox system. There were plans to port the game to the PS4, PC, and Android before Atari put the stop to that but the game got never yanked from the store. The game is really great, feeling like Tempest 2000 with a few minor tweaks and improvments, and the thumb stick on the controller gives a acceptable substitute for the rotary style controllers.

Tempest is a game I played in the arcade a few times but never got far cause it's wicked difficult. It's one of those games I like but never loved due to that fact. Very unique game and still a lot of fun to play today. But the story I'd always hard behind Tempest is that while the programmer was trying to make the 3D Space Invaders game he was charged with he had a nightmare about spiders coming out of a hole and that gave him the gameplay idea.

Omega Race is a game I never saw in the arcades and played for the first time on the Colecovision Flashback in 2014 when it came out. I've since played the Atari 2600 version in emulation hacked to be playable on a regular joystick and despite the graphics and sounds not being as good as the Colecovision version I prefer that port. The Colecovision controls don't handle as well and you're right about that game being a flicker fest!

When you cover Gorf in the next episode be sure to talk about the whole mess behind the 'unauthorized' homebrew port to the Jaguar made a number of years ago. Those people who stay out of that forum cause they are allergic to flame wars will thank you for knowing the story finally. ;)

Edited by SoulBlazer
  • Like 1

If it makes you feel better, I got the Ayn Rand reference despite the fact that I have never read any of her books. (shame on me)

Also, I tried using the Booster Grip on Stargate for the 2600 (with the Booster Grip plugged in the 2nd port and joystick in the first hoping one of the buttons would register as pressing the button on controller 2), but it does not work.

As far as I know, the Booster Grip only serves a function for Omega Race and no other game.

• Like 1

But the story I'd always hard behind Tempest is that while the programmer was trying to make the 3D Space Invaders game he was charged with he had a nightmare about spiders coming out of a hole and that gave him the gameplay idea.

Another interesting tidbit about Tempest history that I don't believe was mentioned in the episode (apologies if it was and I just missed it) -- in an early version of the game, movement of the spinner control would cause the tunnel itself to rotate. During play testing some players reported that the rotating screen made them feel sick, so Dave Theurer changed it to the control scheme we know today, where, instead, the screen stays still and the player rotates around the top of the tunnel.

Edited by Cynicaster

• 2 weeks later...

Gorf ,Space Zap and Wizard of Wor always had the creepiest sound effects to me. It's just the right blend of tones and such to be hypnotic and disturbing. The voice only enhances it. Not the explosions or anything, but the multi-channel sweeping tones.

• Like 1

Great episode as always guys!

For the record -- I don't MIND if someone wants to call the SNES by that 'a-choo!' sound effect. I just won't USE it. ;) I never called the system that, nor did any of my friends. But if someone wants to refer to it that way, it's cool. I even poked fun at this in a bumper that I did for Phil for the 7800 podcast a while back. As for saying Galaga, sorry -- I'm a old man and I can't unlearn how to say something I've been saying one way since the game first came out. :) I talk about this with another famous space shooter starting with G in the newest episode of the SNES Podcast.

Yes, the woman in my avatar is Christina Hendricks. I made this as a joke a couple years ago and didn't plan to use this for this long but a lot of people have told me how much they like it, so I've left it. Most of them also say how distracting that the picture is. ;)

In regards to Gorf for the Jaguar -- the reason I said you guys should mention it is cause I don't know the whole story myself! I was hoping you'd fill me in. :) I've dug around in the topics there but can't find much about it. Most people who hang out there prefer to let the 'bad old days' stay gone and are understandably not eager to talk about it. From what little I pieced together, the port was done by someone who had a reputation in the community -- I believe he even got banned -- and of course was totally unauthorized. It's a very good port, by all accounts, arcade perfect, but I think there was some brouhaha about the selling of the game also. It had a very limited print run, there are 'copies' floating around also, and the game commands a high price when it goes up on EBay. Perhaps Shinto or Austin or another long time Jag user would know more.

As for the voice in Gorf -- add me to the list of people who can't understand most of what it's saying! Where as I can make out the voice in games like Bezerk and Frenzy and Vanguard just fine. I also can't understand The Voice which the O2 games use, but I can understand the Intelivoice games just fine, so I don't know.

I do hope that you cover Star Trek: SOS at some point, I love that arcade game, partly cause I'm such a big fan of the series.

Edited by SoulBlazer

Great episode as always guys!

Yes, the woman in my avatar is Christina Hendricks. I made this as a joke a couple years ago and didn't plan to use this for this long but a lot of people have told me how much they like it, so I've left it. Most of them also say how distracting that the picture is. ;)

I don't find it distracting, hypnotic maybe...

• Like 3

Gorf is in my top 10, glad to see it covered.

I live by an arcade in Pelham, NH called "Pinball Wizard" and I go there to get my Gorf fix (among others). Last weekend, I was horrified to see the machine out of order because the stick had apparently snapped right off the base.

I hope they can fix it.

• Like 1