IGNORED

New Tempest game in the works for Atari 8-bit

peteym5

89 members have voted

1. 1. Would purchase a 2nd Tempest Game if you already own Tempest Xtreem or the Tempest 5200?

• I already have Tempest Xtreem and/or Tempest 5200, don't need another one
    • Yes I would buy since it will have new features
  2. 2. Would you like to see the 5200 version ported to the 8-bit?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hello guys

During last years Fujiama, I wrote a small routine to show how the driving controller can be read:

100 A=STICK(0)-11

110 B1=(A/2>1)

120 B0=(A-(2*B1)>1)

130 ? B0,B1

155 GOTO 100

Sincerely

Mathy

Actually I need a ML routine that will tell me if the knob is being turned left or right. Think same routine will also work with the trackball. I have something that sorta works.

Hello Peter

In my routine, B0 and B1 are either 0 or 1. Meaning B0 and B1 can be 0 en 0, 0 and 1, 1 and 0 or 1 and 1. But B0 and B1 never change their values at the same time. By checking which one changes first, you can determine in which direction the knob is turned.

BTW the (ST) mouse routine (and it's explanation) on my special stuff page might be a good starting point for your routine.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 2

I might be able to get it to work. Also looking into having a paddle option. Just to let everyone know, the bonus round in Tempest Xtreme and Tempest Elite required a joystick to play. Would need to have it ignore the bonus round if playing with another type of controller. Going to still have space bar pause if using a joystick, but becomes a super zapper button if using a driving controller. I think what will attract some people is its ability to detect VBXE and use VBXE sprite system if present. If not, it uses Atari player/missile graphics by default.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone remember that issue about a Tempest 2000 programmer, Jeff Minters' game "TxK" being blocked by Atari? Threaten of a lawsuit. This had everyone who had been working on Tempest Elite concerned about going forward with the game last year and is one of the reasons why it was put on the back burner so I can finish up some other games first. I started looking into ideals on how to alter it to the point to where the current Atari entity can say we are violating the copyright. Look into twisted/spiral tubes, tube going into the distance to infinity, Different types of enemies coming up the sides, etc.

I am looking to see if there is a way to personally contact Jeff Minter so I discuss some ideals with him personally.

I know Atari probably does not give a crap about anything release for the old 8-bit systems. Not many major companies are concerned about these small time operations. I am however focusing on more original work.

Classic mistake.... make an issue by bringing it to everyone's attention.... snowball effect starts this way.... If xtreem did not draw anyone's ire... let's make sure to put it right in front of em and give them every reason to have a problem with it...

• Like 1

Indeed. But I can't believe the guy didn't know how to look up Mr. Minter's email. Common sense and logic would dictate you look at google to find the homepage. And from there you look at the contacts section. Among 10 other ways.. Unless that's a way of namedropping?

attachicon.giffacepalm.gif

Well, that is all that I did, but I nearly failed and said, "Speak to TMR (Jason Kelk), he'll know". :)

Hey Pete. I think you'd better do a virus and malware scan - I got a spam email that probably originated from you the other day - though it might have come from someone else who has both of us on their contacts list.

Although the sender's address wasn't one of yours but it's fairly common that they're just spoofed.

(don't click the link, likely they track visitors and potentially target your machine)

The sender was peterj_m5@brotto.com.br

Does anyone remember that issue about a Tempest 2000 programmer, Jeff Minters' game "TxK" being blocked by Atari? Threaten of a lawsuit. This had everyone who had been working on Tempest Elite concerned about going forward with the game last year and is one of the reasons why it was put on the back burner so I can finish up some other games first. I started looking into ideals on how to alter it to the point to where the current Atari entity can say we are violating the copyright. Look into twisted/spiral tubes, tube going into the distance to infinity, Different types of enemies coming up the sides, etc.

I am looking to see if there is a way to personally contact Jeff Minter so I discuss some ideals with him personally.

I know Atari probably does not give a crap about anything release for the old 8-bit systems. Not many major companies are concerned about these small time operations. I am however focusing on more original work.

"Atari" has been pretty cool with the community since they got called out by the community for going after websites with the "atari" name in them. They seem to view this community as positive PR and nearly no-cost involved in keeping the brand alive. The IP being used and modified are for computer and game systems that haven't been manufactured in decades. It's hobbyist. That's different than using their IP and attempting to sell it to millions of potential customers on modern systems. I'm not saying what they did was above-board because it certainly lacked tact and restraint. "Atari" should've pursued a friendly licensing agreement with Yak so "TxK" could be "Tempest 4000" or something to that effect.

Perhaps if "Atari" listened to the community more their fortunes would be on better footing. I've said for years now I wish WB Games would just buy them out so almost all of "Atari's" gaming IP would finally be unified under the same house but who knows what will happen to WB Games if Apple actually goes ahead and acquires Time Warner.

Hey Pete. I think you'd better do a virus and malware scan - I got a spam email that probably originated from you the other day - though it might have come from someone else who has both of us on their contacts list.

Although the sender's address wasn't one of yours but it's fairly common that they're just spoofed.

(don't click the link, likely they track visitors and potentially target your machine)

The sender was peterj_m5@brotto.com.br

That is not an email account I own or use. I use Yahoo for general emails and a Gmail account for official business dealings. From the .br extension it certainly is outside the United States.

I personally do not think we do not have a large enough user base to draw any major attention to copyright holders. If anyone made Tempest for the XBOX, Windows PC, Wii, PS4, and was a clone of something, you will be contacted by the attorneys of the current Atari entity.

I know it's not an email address of yours. Like I said, it's almost definitely spoofed.

The problem is that it's likely originated from an infected machine, ie one that has an Address Book with both mine and your email addresses.

I don't much bother maintaining an Address Book, so it's not come from me.

• 6 months later...

Is this still alive.

I saw the poll and wondered who were the 18 people voting NO for a port from the 5200 to the A8 in an A8 decimated forum ?!?!?!
The only reason I can think of is that some people want this to be a 5200 exclusive ?

We've seen many 5200 games ported to the A8 from way back in the 80's....I think it's never that hard to do for the guys with the skills....

I second using a driving controller, that's the only thing coming close to the real spinner on the arcade cab.

You guys do know about Tempest Xtreem right? I see no need for a standard Tempest port with this jewel already available:

Available from Video 61: http://members.tcq.net/video61/tempest1.html

Free Demo:

Tempest Xtreem _ playable demo.xex

• Like 2

Sorry, I didn't read the poll at the beginning that mentions Tempest Xtreem. I don't need anything but Tempest Xtreem myself, but I voted for the 5200 version to be ported anyway because I understand if some want something closer to the original. But I have T2K on the Jag that has the original, and honestly I never play that version, just T2K and on the 8-bit I'm perfectly happy with the Xtreem version too.

I haven't played either of the 8-bit Tempest adaptations, but based on the videos I actually prefer the 5200 version and would like to see an A8 port. Yes, Xtreem has the new gameplay mechanics and music soundtrack from Tempest 2000, but the 5200 version has better graphics on the tunnel - it highlights the wall you're on, and the hyperwarp sequences actually animate the tunnel. I also think the animation is better in general on the 5200, and the sound effects are truer to the arcade.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 1

I haven't played either of the 8-bit Tempest adaptations, but based on the videos I actually prefer the 5200 version and would like to see an A8 port. Yes, Xtreem has the new gameplay mechanics and music soundtrack from Tempest 2000, but the 5200 version has better graphics on the tunnel - it highlights the wall you're on, and the hyperwarp sequences actually animate the tunnel. I also think the animation is better in general on the 5200, and the sound effects are truer to the arcade.

I agree. It was kind of a let down graphically speaking. Although it would be pretty hard to match the original arcade vector quality with the A8, but as you pointed out the 5200 does a much better job in this regard.

- Michael

I agree. It was kind of a let down graphically speaking. Although it would be pretty hard to match the original arcade vector quality with the A8, but as you pointed out the 5200 does a much better job in this regard.

- Michael

Tempest tops my personal list of favorite games, but I have yet to be wow'd by a conversion of Tempest to Atari's home systems. Tom Hudson's Livewire came really close for me, though. I have to rely on MAME to get my Tempest fixes.

--Tim

Edited by Timothy Kline
  • Like 2

Everyone has their own preferences as to why they like this or that shooter, etc.

I never really got into Tempest playing - although I tried the coin-op in which it's dial made it what it is. Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar would have to be the best version? And to use a special controller made for it - if that is possible. And you needed to play it in a dark room to get the best out of the visuals.

For an 8-bit version - I would like to see a re-design of the game - such that you have a larger tunnel in which you shoot down more places around it's perimeter and all sorts of other things added to it - if it is at all possible?

A straight coin-op conversion - doesn't do anything for me.

But then I'm a guy who doesn't find Centipede interesting enough to play - and it's graphics too bland.

I'm not a games player these days - but still I like to be involved in 8-bit videogames projects that will do things differently....

Harvey

• Like 1