Immediate     ADC #$44      $69  2   2
Zero Page     ADC $44       $65  2   3
Zero Page,X   ADC $44,X     $75  2   4
Absolute      ADC $4400     $6D  3   4
Absolute,X    ADC $4400,X   $7D  3   4+
Absolute,Y    ADC $4400,Y   $79  3   4+
Indirect,X    ADC ($44,X)   $61  2   6
Indirect,Y    ADC ($44),Y   $71  2   5+

You'll notice there's a Zero Page,X but not a Zero Page,Y. dasm knows this, so it will use Absolute,Y instead. Likewise Indirect,X and Indirect,Y look different in the SYTNAX in order to help you remember that they work differently. I don't think I've ever used Indirect,X

I think I get it though not sure on this one. Is ($44,x) a 16 bit address and ($44),Y an indexed zero page address?

Also, funny you mentioned Draconian. I got a Harmony Encore last week and last night I added Draconian to it and played it.

I think I get it though not sure on this one. Is ($44,x) a 16 bit address and ($44),Y an indexed zero page address?

Both those instructions use a 16 bit address. This is why when you set up the pointer you have to store a high byte of the address and a low byte of the address.

The actual instruction only takes one byte for the operand, which is the ram location of the low address of the pointer.

Example:

SEG.U RIOT_RAM
    ORG $80

colorPtr   ds 2      ; designates 2 bytes of ram ($80-$81) for a 16 bit address, which is stored little endian
                     ; zero page (zp) ram location $80 is the low byte of the address
                     ; zero page (zp) ram location $81 is the high byte of the address

SEG CODE
    ORG $F000 

;..... 

lda #<ColorP0     ; get low address
    sta colorPtr      ; store to zero page ram location $80
    lda #>ColorP0     ; get high address
    sta colorPtr+1    ; store to zero page ram location $80+1 = $81

;usage
    lda (colorPtr),Y  ; in Stella's debugger (or the list file) this will be $B1 $80 (just 2 bytes, not 3)
                      ; $B1 is the opcode for lda (indirect),Y ; $80 is the operand for lda (indirect),Y
                      ; - For lda (indirect),Y the operand is the zp ram location which holds the low address of our pointer.
                      ; - It is required that the high part of the address be stored in ram immediately after the low address,
                      ; which in this case would be zp ram location $81. This requirement allows lda (indirect),Y to only use
                      ; 2 bytes of code instead of 3.

For (indirect,X) you probably will never use it, so I'm not going to explain it.

Thanks! Did you notice that the game keeps resetting? The score always starts over from zero every time it comes up. I didn't realize until after I posted. I'm certain I need to change the JumboState mask:

FrameCount:
		inc FrameCounter
		lda FrameCounter
		cmp #255
		beq IncDisplay
		jmp EndIncDisplay

IncDisplay:
	inc JumboState
	lda JumboState
	and #%00001111
	sta JumboState
EndIncDisplay:

Now for another big one I've been ignoring... The coins. I want the coins to disappear one at time when a player is running over them. To accomplish this, I'm thinking of doing something like this:

1. The coins are stored in RAM using 12 bytes per player. (There has got to be a better way to do this.) Each byte is a PF2 line.

2. Detect playfield collisions

3. Get x and y coordinates of player.

4. Apply a mask that corresponds to each stack. Currently, the coins in PF2 are the D5, D3, and D1 bits. So something like:

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Decrement Coins
;----------------

; The stacks of coins are displayed using PF2 register. Three stacks of coins.
; Before the jsr, upon collision, the accumulator will have been loaded with either %00100000,
; 00001000, or 00000010 which correspond to one of the stacks.  

CoinCollision:			;  
	ldx #11			; The stacks of coins are potentially 12 high

CoinTest:
	and PillRAMGfx,x	; Check to see if there is a match on this line
	bpl RemoveCoin		; Branch if we've hit a coin
	dex
  	bne CoinTest		; Repeat if there was not match

RemoveCoin:
	eor #%11111111		; Change 00100000 to 11011111 for example
	and PillRAMGfx,x	; Remove a coin from the first stack for this example
	sta PillRAMGfx,x	; Then store it back from where it came.
	rts

Funny, while trying to show an example of the code I was going to write, I ended up writing the code. I'll have to remember that technique. How does it look?

Edited by BNE Jeff

BPL branches when the sign bit is clear after an operation. This means that since 0 doesn't flip the sign bit, it will still take the branch. It will fall through however, when the counter wraps around to $FF, since the sign bit is set.

-Thom

Thanks.. I got rid of the BPL and used BEQ instead. Its a couple more steps but its working! (By which I mean, if player 0 touches the playfield anywhere, one stack of coins will disappear one at a time, but really fast.)

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Decrement Coins
;----------------

; The stacks of coins are displayed using PF2 register. Three stacks of coins.
; Before the jsr, the y register will have been loaded with either %00000100,
; %00010000, or %01000000 which correspond to one of the stacks.  

CoinCollision:			
	ldx #12			; The stacks of coins are potentially 12 high

CoinTest:
	tya			; y has to be transferred each time through
	dex			; go to next coin location
	beq EndCoinCheck	; End if we're at the bottom of the coin stack.
	and PillRAMGfx,x	; Check to see if there is a match on this line
	beq CoinTest		; If zero matches, go back up

RemoveCoin:
	eor #%11111111		; Change 00000100 to 111111011 for example
	and PillRAMGfx,x	; Remove a coin from the first stack for this example
	sta PillRAMGfx,x	; Then store it back from where it came.

EndCoinCheck
	rts

BP3.bin

Greetings!

I've made some more progress..

The coins can now be collected by the players- at the cost of 24 bytes of RAM

Added some collision stuff and software control of ball speed. You can really get the ball moving. (Or stopped if you time it right.)

To stabilize the screen, I set a timer inside the top wall and I only re-position the two players within it. If you turn on debug colors (ALT+ comma)and move the players around the right side of the screen, you'll see the comb line bounce around, but not anything else.

post-44582-0-40943400-1473374797_thumb.jpg

BP4.bin

BP4a.asm

Edited by BNE Jeff

• 5 months later...

Hi!...

So I have a state machine question.. I have this state state machine:

ldy    JumboState
    lda    JumboLo,Y
    sta    jumbo_JumpInd
    lda    JumboHi,Y
    sta    jumbo_JumpInd+1
    jmp.ind (jumbo_JumpInd)   ; indirect jump into code segment   

and...

JumboLo:
    .byte <ShowFireballsLogo
    .byte <TestPattern
    .byte <TwoScore
    .byte <TwoScore    
JumboHi:
    .byte >ShowFireballsLogo
    .byte >TestPattern
    .byte >TwoScore
    .byte >TwoScore  

It works great, but when I tried to call ShowFireballsLogo from elsewhere with a JSR, I realized I cannot because the routines end with a JMP since they were set up with the state machine using the above jmp.ind, they therefore do not have an RTS.

Does anybody have any tips on how to be able to call routines in a state machine but using a JSR?

Thanks!

Edited by BNE Jeff

You can just push manually an address onto the stack (ie the address of where you want to return to) using PHA, then do your indirect jump like you're currently doing it.

When you hit the RTS at the end of your subroutine, it will pop an address off the stack and jump to it. It doesn't matter how that address got there -- it doesn't care whether you actually did a JSR, or what, just as long as there's an address to pop off and jump to.

(To be technical, I think you have to push the address - 1, it doesn't return to the exact address that's on the stack)

• Like 1

Thanks..

As I recall, I set up the state machine to avoid having to do a jumbled bunch of compares and JSRs so I don't think I can easily break it out into its own.. I definitely like the idea of using PHA- mainly because I've never used any stack instructions before. I always wondered what the point of some of those instructions was so it will be a valuable learning experience.

ShowFireballsLogo currently does not have an RTS at the end of it, just a JMP- which I'll need to change. And I guess I'll have to work in another PHA in the other location as well.

Thanks again for all the advice!

I spent a little time trying to wrap my head around this.. I need a 16 bit address- right? And I don't think DASM has any magic trick for it so would it be something like this?

StartSreenLo:
    .byte <MyReturnAddress

StartScreenHi:
    .byte >MyReturnAddress

lda    StartScreenLo,Y
    pha
    lda    StartScreenHi,Y
    pha

close - you left off the #, and the address is off by 1 due to how RTS works.

RTS pulls the top two bytes off the stack (low byte first) and transfers program control to that address+1.

So subtract 1 from the address to compensate.

lda #<(StartScreenReturn-1)
  pha
  lda #>(StartScreenReturn-1)
  pha
  jmp ShowFireballsLogo	

StartScreenReturn: