IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Suspected bad dumps with errors in probably unused sectors:

- Telly Turtle (1983)(Carousel Software)(US)[!] 1st sector in track 23 bad instead of missing

- Microsoft BASIC (1981)(Atari)(US) 3 bad sectors in used area

Hi DjayBee,

Telly Turtle: Track 23 is completely unformatted. Are you sure you mean track 23?

MS Basic: All the missing sectors are by design. Sometimes is difficult to distinguish this. But in this case there are no doubts. As a sample, see the track layout for one of the tracks with the missing sector:

Track: 20
   1 -   26 + 26  Sector: 18, status: 00
   2 -  199 +173  Sector:  1, status: 00
   3 -  372 +173  Sector:  3, status: 00
   4 -  545 +173  Sector:  5, status: 00
   5 -  718 +173  Sector:  7, status: 00
   6 -  891 +173  Sector:  9, status: 00
   7 - 1064 +173  Sector: 11, status: 00
   8 - 1237 +173  Sector: 13, status: 00
   9 - 1410 +173  Sector: 15, status: 00
  10 - 1583 +173  Sector: 17, status: 00
  11 - 1756 +173  Sector:  2, status: 00
  12 - 1929 +173  Sector:  6, status: 00
  13 - 2102 +173  Sector:  8, status: 00
  14 - 2275 +173  Sector: 10, status: 00
  15 - 2448 +173  Sector: 12, status: 00
  16 - 2621 +173  Sector: 14, status: 00
  17 - 2794 +173  Sector: 16, status: 00

Sector 4 is missing. But the distance between sector 2 and sector 6 (before and after where sector 4 is located in other tracks) is identical to the others. If the sector would be missing because of damage in the disk, then the distance would be about twice as large.

• Like 1

Telly Turtle: Track 23 is completely unformatted. Are you sure you mean track 23?

MS Basic: All the missing sectors are by design. Sometimes is difficult to distinguish this.

I don't remember what I saw concerning Telly Turtle. Sorry.

DId you verify all bad sectors of MS Basic since the ones in tracks 20 and 21 are actually the copy protection?

I was talking about tracks 31, 32 and 39. Sorry for not being specific in the first place.

I don't remember what I saw concerning Telly Turtle. Sorry.

DId you verify all bad sectors of MS Basic since the ones in tracks 20 and 21 are actually the copy protection?

I was talking about tracks 31, 32 and 39. Sorry for not being specific in the first place.

Yes, I checked all the bad sectors. All the tracks are about the same story. But in this case there are further indications that the disk is in, what I use to call, mint (perfect) condition. The track layout is just one of the indicators. Furthermore, multiple dumps from multiple disks, match, all have the same bad sectors.

Unfortunately it is not that easy in most cases. Ok, no problem about Telly Turtle. Your work is much appreciated! :)

Unfortunately it is not that easy in most cases. Ok, no problem about Telly Turtle. Your work is much appreciated! :)

No problem for me.

My comments about bad dumps are just guesses based on some sort of "anomaly" which cannot always be spot-on.

Thanks for verifying. :thumbsup:

• Battlecruiser (1987)(SSI)(US)(Disk 1 of 2 Side A)(WWI Scenarios)

bad dump: sector 42 is only "crc error" instead of "weak bits". Disk fails to run

• Wargame Construction Set v1.1 (1986)(SSI)(US)(Disk 1 of 2 Side A)(Editor)

bad dump: sector 42 is only "crc error" instead of "weak bits". Disk fails to run

Ijor was able to confirm that a8rawconv is incorrectly detecting the weak bits as a CRC error. He's created correct ATXs for both these titles which will be in the next torrent release.

@phaeron, let me know if you want the raw dumps to troubleshoot this.

Thanks again for pointing this out!

Edited by Farb
  • Like 3

Yeah, drop me a link to the dumps. I'm guessing that a8rawconv managed to extract the same data for the sectors in at least two passes, in which case it drops the rest of the reads and assumes those two reads are the correct ones. Distinguishing weak bits from a marginal read is tricky and a8rawconv errs on the side of trying to recover marginal data than detecting deliberately bad data.

• Like 3

I'm guessing that a8rawconv managed to extract the same data for the sectors in at least two passes, in which case it drops the rest of the reads and assumes those two reads are the correct ones.

These disks, and these dumps, are quite a difficult case in this regard. It is a combination of factors:

- The flux transition are not random. They are just PLL violations. The randomness and weak bits effect is produced by the mechanic and magnetic variations across different revolutions.

- The dump is too damn good! The drive is too good, it rotates too stable, and the signal of the disk seems quite stable as well. There are virtually no flux differences between each passes.

- The PLL violations are not specifically optimized for weak bits. They just seem written at (seudo) random timing. So they not necessarily fall at the bitcell transition border. Hence tiny variations between passes is not enough to easily decode differently.

This combination gives a quite stable, non weak, behavior. To make things worse, the "weak zone" is not too long. It doesn't cover most of the sector data area. And the protection only checks just a few bytes. If there were weak bits only by the end of the sector, the protection wouldn't pass.

But Atari drives usually don't rotate that stable. Not nearly as stable as the drive that produced these dumps. So the PLL violations would likely vary enough among revolutions to produce weak bits. And hence the disks would work.

Edited by ijor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for all your fantastic efforts in preserving this stuff. I notice there has been quite a lot of narrative around Quest of the Space Beagle but I can't work out whether there is a runnable ATR/ATX now available. Can anyone please let me know whether I'm wasint my time & it doesn't exist or please point me in the right direct for a working set of files.

Many thanks

I picked up a bunch of user group disks — mostly from SPACE (Seattle Puget Sound) at Portland Retro Gaming Expo. The majority of the disks that I acquired are already archived (I found them on POOLDISK.) I archived the ones that I wasn't sure were already achieved.

They are in the attached ZIP file. I thought the Portland Atari Club Story disks were particularly cute, and hadn't seen them before.

SPACE disks.zip

BRACE 22 - Graphics Demos.atr

BRACE 23 - Graphics Demos.atr
C-SQD 1 - 3-D CAD.atr
C-SQD 2 - CAD Facility side A.atr
C-SQD 2 - CAD Facility side B.atr
JACS PSG1 Print Shop Graphics.atr
JACS PSG2 Print Shop Graphics.atr
Portland Atari Club Story 1 The Noisy Giant.atr
Portland Atari Club Story 2 Caveman Joe.atr
SPACE 3-D CAD & XY Plot side A.atr
SPACE 3-D CAD & XY Plot side B.atr