IGNORED

RMT Patch 8

analmux

This is not for this particular tune. Just with every next tune I got smaller level of pleasure with listening them.

I understand that this is only "technology demo", but I see this is not to practical for me.

Like 'Art for art's sake'.

Technical demo, yes, in the case that every RMT Patch misses other features. And, well, the original POKEY sound is different from any emulation. So you can only resemble special edits, while much more could be possible.

Here is another 4 channel tune.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

Any proposal of an existing MOD file to convert? Well, I'm still pretty sure, that a full working POKEY tracker makes "unbelievable" Tunes possible, but this time it's about the RMT P8 .

And, in the "somewhere" tune you get the benefit of 4 available channels clearly. The "easiest" Mod files to convert to Patch 8 , were those with a separated bass channel and a percussion channel, and 2 voices that produce some "stereo" FX on the Amiga.

Edited by emkay

• 4 weeks later...

Another old favorite, well just a loop of it...

pure 15kHz, 2xVBI... now in Patch 8.

Perhaps I should add some more different filter sweeps ....

This is very cool, what I've been wanting to hear for some time (but I'm not smart enough to make). Presumably on an actual machine this would sound similar?

Is there an .RMT of it?

On creating instruments, I do think many don't have the patience. As you noted, it takes quite a bit of time, and it's a bit like playing around with an old analog synth until you "get it right". I love the idea, I'm just not experienced enough to figure it out, short of some basic tweaking.

Edited by rdefabri

• 4 weeks later...

You have the RMT file for this? Would love to look at how you created the instruments.

Question - does RMT patch 8 sounds translate / transfer if you conver to .XEX and play on an emulator? Since emulation may not be "correct", I'm curious how it's handled.

If you use RMT P8 , you have to export it in RMT P8. It will be played correct then.

gia8b.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nice tune, but that might be a little hard to find. Maybe Little Fugue in Gm (BWV 578) would be a little easier to track down a mod file for, as a second suggestion.

Ah, I actually have this MOD, but alas it uses 4 voices. Odd, because as far as I know there are never more than 3 notes playing at once (unless you reference some piano arrangement). Maybe it can be manipulated down to 3 voices with a little work. Otherwise, any suitable Bach will do...

Edited by MrFish

• 1 year later...

I'm well on my way with RMT!

I see the Instruments directory. Outside of that, does anyone have a good selection of RMT instruments (.RTI files) to choose from? I don't want to salvage from already existing .RMT files or attempt to craft my own instrumental recreations if I don't have to! :)

I'm well on my way with RMT!

I see the Instruments directory. Outside of that, does anyone have a good selection of RMT instruments (.RTI files) to choose from? I don't want to salvage from already existing .RMT files or attempt to craft my own instrumental recreations if I don't have to! :)

The "Instruments" were just examples that work in limited relations.

You have to keep in mind that POKEY is "soundwise" a very raw device. The bad thing is that it causes heavy troubles creating music. The good thing is that the raw state allows to fumble around with the available options to reach the wanted stuff.

The real hard thing is to find the way to reach what you want.

RMT is a very good tool. But it lacks in some features of a real tracker, and the emulation is not accurate enough to get all in RMT the real thing is able to do.

It is still not possible to program triangle waves or stabilized basses... and so on.

But, if you have a look on the latest releases by "Fragmare" , you see : there is enough range available to fumble with :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having some problems with RMT.

Problem 1: Importing my nice sounding simple MIDI file turns awful.

I've got a MIDI file. It is pretty simple and it plays just fine. When I import it into RMT, the notes change and are at higher octaves. To the ear, the song is awful and almost unrecognizable. It is much higher pitch than it should be. Looking at the track, everything seems to be in the right places, and the notes look like they follow the melody. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I need to change?

I have tried Instrument -> Change all the instrument occurrences, but I think I just barely figured out the interface to transpose the notes down an octave or two? I unclick everything on the bottom-left, hit the "All instruments" button, I unclick "The same note range" and I drop the from/to notes down an octave or two. It seems to work. But the song is still mostly unrecognizable.

Problem 2: Entering music from scratch

I decided it was probably easier for me to just manually copy the notes from the MIDI editor into RMT because it is such a simple song. Boy, was I wrong. I mean, I actually do get the general idea of what should go where. The notes, the instrument, and the volume. That's all fine. But darned if I can enter notes on my keyboard. It seems like it is treating the keyboard as piano keys in some way? And I managed to hit an impossible note, "H". And there was another note that I just couldn't find. It was bizarre. I just wanted to type in "C" or "C-3" for my note. But when I press the letter "C", that is assigned to note "E". I looked at the manual but the only reference I could find seemed to say that I should be using tonekeys to enter my notes. But it never defines what tonekeys are.

Is there a way to enter notes as a human, or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks much,

jmccorm

The imported MIDI file will always sound awful . This depends on the given note range in the 8 bit resolution. So, much work has to be done after importing it.

When you enter notes on the pc keyboard , the key were aligned similar to a musician keyboard, just as

yxcvbnm = cdefgah

or

zxcvbnm

The imported MIDI file will always sound awful . This depends on the given note range in the 8 bit resolution. So, much work has to be done after importing it.

When you enter notes on the pc keyboard , the key were aligned similar to a musician keyboard, just as

yxcvbnm = cdefgah or zxcvbnm

Okay! I've decided the simplest thing for me to do is to use the imported MIDI to get my the placement/duration right (which it is) but to enter the notes directly from sheet music. Now I've got the hang of entering notes into RMT. Mostly... ?

Regarding the musical note of H...

I've read in one place that it is the exactly the same as B.

I've read in another place that it is the same as B-flat.

How does this work?

Some web pages suggested that H could be used in a musical scale that was different from what I expect. Are you still using the standard Western music scale that an American might expect?

Thanks much...

jmccorm

Edited by jmccorm

the available notes are:

C1 C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# H C2 and up

Do you use the Patch 8 version ?

The version I'm running says it is v1.28. I'm hoping that's Patch 8?

Hopefully I didn't ninja edit on you. (I deleted a bit about E#. Let's pretend I didn't say that.)

The song that I'm recopying the notes on by hand... it is starting to sound good!

But I guess I still don't know what C1, H, and C2 are. From my reading, those might be some sort of German on Eastern European musical notes? But it still uses the standard Western musical scale that I'm used to, right?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I know just enough to enter notes, manipulate music, but I can't craft a melody. I'm no musician.

The version I'm running says it is v1.28. I'm hoping that's Patch 8?

So things were clear. The notation pitches particular on the PAL version, has an error. So it plays lower notes a pitch too low. It's like you walk stairs down and break your bones on the lowest step, because it has a different height.

It's a problem of the low 8 bit resolution. RMT doesn't help you, finding the right "spare note" , and also doesn't use the 16 bit resolution.

The note ladder is standard in Tracker. You could load a MOD file in MPT (ModPlug Tracker) and get the feeling for the notes.